What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bromine in tap water?  (Read 3848 times)

spa dawg

Bromine in tap water?
« on: May 19, 2011, 12:06:02 am »
Had a hot tub given to me a couple weeks ago, and started with bromine. Then decided to change to dichlor. So.... drained the tub and refilled. Put some dichlor in and checked the levels with test strip. It showed that I had high level of chlorine AND Bromine. So I tested the tap water, and it shows a lower level of bromine. (1) is this normal? (2) If it is, am I stuck with a bromine tub?
Ken

Hot Tub Forum

Bromine in tap water?
« on: May 19, 2011, 12:06:02 am »

chem geek

Re: Bromine in tap water?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 03:14:07 am »
Test kits (and strips) cannot distinguish between chlorine and bromine.  You are actually measuring the low probably 1 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) level in your tap water (or it could be 1 ppm CC for monochloramine which would register as Total Chlorine on your test strip).  Likewise, your tub is now a chlorine tub because you replaced the water and are now using chlorine.  You should consider getting a better test kit -- test strips aren't very good.

footie

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 07:17:12 am »
I don't know why people insist on still using test strips, they are false economy as you don't get an accurate reading and may end up using more chemical than you need.

Less than $50 will buy you the basic water testing setup you really need.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 10:09:38 am »
I don't know why people insist on still using test strips, they are false economy as you don't get an accurate reading and may end up using more chemical than you need.

In our experience, they are easy, cheap, fast, and effective.  I'm sure there are bad test strips out there, but the ones we use work fine.

footie

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 10:43:17 am »
Then what is the brand of test strip you are using?

sorebikr

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 11:18:18 am »

In our experience, they are easy, cheap, fast, and effective.  I'm sure there are bad test strips out there, but the ones we use work fine.

I have ZERO opinion on test strips. But I do wonder, if test strips are notoriously inaccurate, how do you know you've never had a problem with one?  :)  Unless of course you've tested with the strips and with a kit at the same time and verified the results, each time you purchase a new batch of strips.  Then I'd be confident.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 04:03:55 pm »
We use Aquachek, which is owned by Hach.  Check them out @ www.hach.com  if you don't want to take my word for it.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 04:03:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42