What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I'm new, and I need some help please  (Read 5733 times)

sorebikr

I'm new, and I need some help please
« on: May 01, 2011, 11:21:46 pm »
Hi everyone,

This is yet another post asking for suggestions and recommendations on which manufacturers to explore.  Its so tough without any impartial information to make sense of all of this.  I was so excited when I found this board the other night.  I promise that I've spent hours reviewing the board already, but since everyone's needs are somewhat unique I didn't find the perfect advice yet.  Here are my limiting factors:

1.  Not looking for something huge.  Capacity of 4 - 5.  (Open to 6, but not necessary at all)
2.  For the sake of this discussion, assume money is not a limiting factor.  I want to do this right.
3.  18428 zipcode, which might turn into a bit of a limiting factor.

Yes, I'll wet-test the tubs on the short list.  This is the first time I've purchased one, so I'm trying to do this right.  "Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi and Sundance and Marquis" come up a lot.  What am I missing?  OR, is that the wrong list?  

Local is difficult.  The closest salesman carries Emerald and insisted they're the number 2 brand as rated by Consumer Reports which immediately sent off warning bells.  CR hasn't reviewed hot tubs, right?  Right??

Thank you for any help in advance, its truly appreciated.  
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 02:27:42 pm by sorebikr »

Hot Tub Forum

I'm new, and I need some help please
« on: May 01, 2011, 11:21:46 pm »

96SC

Re: I'm new, and I need some help please
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 07:39:35 am »
I'm a CR subscriber, so I looked at their list of 'tested' items.  Hot tub, whirlpool, spa nor jacuzzi were ever mentioned.   I'm curious what came in #1, the other brand this store carries.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 11:48:30 am »
Hi everyone,

This is yet another post asking for suggestions and recommendations on which manufacturers to explore.  Its so tough without any impartial information to make sense of all of this.  I was so excited when I found this board the other night.  I promise that I've spent hours reviewing the board already, but since everyone's needs are somewhat unique I didn't find the perfect advice yet.  Here are my limiting factors:

1.  Not looking for something huge.  Capacity of 4 - 5.  (Open to 6, but not necessary at all) If you're looking for a spa that TRULY seats 4-5 people then you want one that SAYS it seats 6.

2.  For the sake of this discussion, assume money is not a limiting factor.  I want to do this right. It helps that you don't come in with the thinking that "I want a 6 person spa and want to spend $4k" but you don't need to spend $13k either. Keep that info to yourself when shopping.

3.  18428 zipcode, which might turn into a bit of a limiting factor. Only one way to find out who is close by, check it out.

http://www.calderaspas.com/Locator/index.html
http://www.d1spas.com/find-local-dealer.html
http://www.hotspring.com/find-a-dealer
http://www.jacuzzihottubs.com/dealer-locator/
http://www.marquisspas.com/storelocator/
http://www.sundancespas.com/hot-tub-dealer-locator/cities/

Yes, I'll wet-test the tubs on the short list.  This is the first time I've purchased one, so I'm trying to do this right.  "Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi and Sundance and Marquis" come up a lot.  What am I missing?  OR, is that the wrong list?  
We all have our own favorites as there is no agreed upon "best brand" but thats actually the list I typically recommend.

Local is difficult.  The closest salesman carries Emerald and insisted they're the number 2 brand as rated by Consumer Reports which immediately sent off warning bells.  CR hasn't reviewed hot tubs, right?  Right??  
Right, CR has not reviewed hot tubs, I do believe that is that salesman's review.  ;)

Thank you for any help in advance, its truly appreciated.  
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 11:41:09 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 12:44:16 pm »
Are you sure they weren't listed as a Consumer's DIGEST best buy?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 01:13:09 pm »
Are you sure they weren't listed as a Consumer's DIGEST best buy?

True, that is possibly what the salesman said rather than Consumer "Reports" though we all know that C.D. is really paid for advertising (whereas C.R. is independent etsting).

C.D. is used brands by many so if that is what the salesman said I wouldn't necessarily eliminate him altogether for saying it but it really is not of value either, just ignore it.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Jet Sitter

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 02:36:40 pm »
sorebikr - Is your name in reference to bicycles or motor cycles?  And are you really sore and hoping for some relief from a hot tub?  if so, where are you sore?  Just asking because, while I don't consider myself a hard core cyclist my wife and I will put about 3000 miles on our tandem this summer.  We have been training for a long (for us) organized ride of just over 200 miles in two days and have found the hot tub to be a tremendous help in combatting or avoiding soreness.

sorebikr

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 02:28:00 pm »
I'm certain the Emerald dealer said CR as I questioned him on it and he said "Well...they don't test them every year ya know".  He did say Marquis was the other #1 rated company and that Marquis and Emerald flip flopped between #1 and #2.

My name came about during a cross-country cycling trip.  And then a few years ago I took up motoring so it now serves two purposes.  Long distance tandem riding?  Now THAT is a test of a marriage.    I can honestly say the only thing that kept me from being sore was a good paid of cycling shorts. 

Another question:  I'll be pouring a slab for the tub.  Does anyone happen to have specific info about the requirements for cold climates?  It'll be a thick slab, reinforced.  But I'm wondering if I need to pour 48" footings etc or if that is overkill.  I have plenty of time figure that out since I haven't selected the tub yet, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 08:19:50 pm »
sorebikr,
 this story is getting better and better,, they test every other year...sorry i don't think so. and that it flip flops between them and Marquis. If you research the brands, I would agree that Marquis is on of the tops, With D1, Sundance, Jacuzzi, Hot Springs, I don't think you will ever get a verified number of who is number on or even number 10,, But to say that high on Emerald,, again i don't think so,,, They are sold as an entry level spa in our area... You can also check Spasearch.org and poolandspa.com to check out there rating and others,,,,On your slab in Spokane were we get cold... they have been pouring them 4-6 inches with rebar....
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

sorebikr

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 01:39:20 pm »
Quick update -

Visited the nearest Sundance dealer in my area (PA) and had a great experience.  Very knowledgeable and likable.  Will be going back to wet-test hopefully this weekend.  Then tried to head down the road to the Caldera dealership.  What a waste of time and gas.  All the guy could do was point at the pictures in the brochure, repeat numbers listed in the brochure and nothing else.  I really wanted to give the tubs a shot, so I finally broke down and said "look, sell me.  Give me ANY reason why Caldera is a better brand.  Why should I hand you thousands of dollars?"  And his response was "I don't know anything about any other tubs out there, we only sell these.  My partner doesn't know anything either". 

I guess maybe a new rule of thumb is never trust a spa dealership that also "specializes" in selling pet food and pet toys.

The hunt continues.  :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 01:39:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42