What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question about set up  (Read 4151 times)

sstrahan7@msn.com

Question about set up
« on: April 01, 2011, 08:27:49 am »
As some of you know I bought a Sundance Cameo yesterday. I am going to set it on an existing cement patio and hope to build a deck around it, or at least around 2-3 sides of it. Is there anything I should be aware of when the people deliver it, as to where it should be placed if I am going to build the deck around it? I hope this question makes sense. I have no experience with hot tub placement or deck building. Is it bad if it is on the very edge of the cement?

Hot Tub Forum

Question about set up
« on: April 01, 2011, 08:27:49 am »

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
Re: Question about set up
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 06:10:41 pm »
if you are going to build a deck around it. Make sure you  leave access to the main panels were the pumps are ,, if you ever need to service the pumps or control box, or even bleed the pumps.... depending on the heights of the deck you may want to make a provision that you build section that easily lift up to access the panels, especially the screws that hold the panels on,, I was just out at a house when they had the deck installed the put the sides of the spa right up against the decking, not even enough room to wiggle the panel up or down....
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

sstrahan7@msn.com

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 05:31:27 am »
Thanks, that's what I thought. So if I leave the front, where the control panel is, open on that side then the other 3 sides are OK to have the deck built around? The deck will not be as high as the hot tub. But what if there are problems with the other 3 sides, what do people do? The reason I am concerned is because the spa is comming this week and it will depend on where I place it on the patio, and of course it would be very difficult to move once in place. I didn't get a very specific answer from the dealer on this.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 01:16:11 pm »
Thanks, that's what I thought. So if I leave the front, where the control panel is, open on that side then the other 3 sides are OK to have the deck built around? The deck will not be as high as the hot tub. But what if there are problems with the other 3 sides, what do people do? The reason I am concerned is because the spa is comming this week and it will depend on where I place it on the patio, and of course it would be very difficult to move once in place. I didn't get a very specific answer from the dealer on this.

IF service ever needs to be done on the 3 sides with a deck then 3 things. Either the deck will need to be moved or the tub. Or make it so the panel screws are removable and the tub sides can come off. The tech will most likely be able to work around the deck as long as the tub sides are removable. In other words, if there is enough room for a tech to get his hands and head in between the top lip and the decking. To get in and work. Going under is an option but a bit more difficult.
Retired

clover

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 01:33:12 pm »
1)....So if I leave the front, where the control panel is, open on that side then the other 3 sides are OK to have the deck built around....
2)....The deck will not be as high as the hot tub....
3)....But what if there are problems with the other 3 sides, what do people do?....
4)....I didn't get a very specific answer from the dealer on this....
1) NO, not OK.  2) Bad idea.  3) they cut the deck open, or get enough people to lift it out of the deck with their finger tips.  4) He will when he comes out and can not get access.

Place the spa squarely on the concrete slab.  The gross weight is equally distributed and is spread over the base footprint that should be on a concrete or solid base.  IF you ever have a leak, we will be looking to find wetness around the base if it's not in the EQ.

Consider recessing it half way, BUT take all of the bottom screws out, leaving 1" to 2" wiggle room to remove the panels, IF ever needed.  You might live in a perfect world, but spa service does not.  Sooner or later, 40% of the spas will need to be "inspected" on one of the three sides.  IF your spa is one of the 60%, do as you wish, but don't be upset with the consequences when it happens six or eight years down the road

Installing a spa at the walking surface is a bad idea.  1) You are stepping into a hole filled with water and nothing to grab IF you or others should lose ever your balance.  2) It is much easier to sit on the edge and swing your feet in while your butt is anchored in a stable position, besides, it's better for the ladies.  3) Sooner or later someone is going to walk on your cover, or trip and fall onto it, aside from any injuries, you will be buying a new cover.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

sstrahan7@msn.com

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 04:18:06 am »
Thanks for the information. This was the information I was looking for :)

BNMac

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 01:58:57 pm »
Another consideration is the cover - if you have a lift, you'll need 18-20 inches of space between the edge of the deck/wall etc for the cover in the open position.
For example:

Looking at the left side of the tub - you'll see the edge of the patio.  I had initially designed the setup without this consideration, thinking the tub could set 6" or so away from the edge of the patio.  With the cover lift, the tub had to be about 18 inches for the lift to set on the patio when open.  As it worked out, I had to place the blocks as the lift brackets should have been 1/2" off the concrete... I set them too high.  Not a big deal.

Good luck!

clover

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 04:48:20 pm »
An alternate idea to using a cover lifter is, with the spa partially recessed half way, you can fold over one section to open the cover, slide it back 2' when it will "teeter-tauter" to the deck and simply lift the center of the cover to place it vertical against the rail or a wall.  This should be easy enough to simply pull the cover forward to the spa, lowering it down to the surface of the spa and flipping it closed.

This way you are not lifting the weight of the cover on or off, and it's easy for the ladies to do solo if necessary without the cost of the lifter.

Just a thought
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

sstrahan7@msn.com

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 06:52:37 am »
Thanks for the replies and set up tips! Tub was delivered Friday and looks beautiful. Unfortunately electrician isn't comming until monday so haven't got to use it yet. It's driving me crazy just sitting there and not being able to use it :( It is set 2 feet from the wall and I have the covermate III so dosen't require much clearance. Having a couple contractors come out this week to give me an estimate on a deck so hopefully all will be ready to go soon and I will post some pics when everything is finished.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 06:52:37 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42