What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Vista Circulation Pump Very Noisy  (Read 7451 times)

Ultrarunner

Vista Circulation Pump Very Noisy
« on: March 28, 2011, 11:50:42 am »
A few days ago, the SilentFlo 5000 Circulation Pump on my 2008 Vista started making a loud vibrating noise.  It is very noticeable.  I turned off the power, took off the outlet hose and there was some lumpy bits of calcium-like deposits, but nothing else.  Vibrating noise is still there and when I touch the pump, the vibrations are very strong.  Do I need a new pump?  Is it under warranty?  If I call a dealer who did not sell me the spa, do I still get warranty service?  Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Vista Circulation Pump Very Noisy
« on: March 28, 2011, 11:50:42 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Vista Circulation Pump Very Noisy
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 02:06:56 pm »
A few days ago, the SilentFlo 5000 Circulation Pump on my 2008 Vista started making a loud vibrating noise.  It is very noticeable.  I turned off the power, took off the outlet hose and there was some lumpy bits of calcium-like deposits, but nothing else.  Vibrating noise is still there and when I touch the pump, the vibrations are very strong.  Do I need a new pump?  Is it under warranty?  If I call a dealer who did not sell me the spa, do I still get warranty service?  Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

If you're the original owner I'd expect its under warranty. You should call the original dealer, if he doesn't exist any longer then call the manufacturer and ask them who you should call.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 07:03:46 pm »

Thanks.
If you have lumpy calcium deposits it may not be covered under warranty.  If you can take the pump apart and clean it, that may take care of the problem.

How have you maintained the water chemistry?  How often do you check and adjust pH?  How often have you drained and refilled?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Ultrarunner

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 01:32:36 pm »
I regularly check and maintain the chemistry and I refill every 4 months or so.  The water always looks clean and the jets work flawlessly.  We use the hot tub on average 3 times a week.  Do you know why I would be seeing these deposits?  I will take the pump apart and clean it.  Can you give me any pointers?  I did unscrew it last night and I was able to open the "dry" end where the electronics reside.  Not sure how to best approach the "wet" side of the pump?  

Also, I have noticed that the Tri-X filters started to degrade after a year.  The outside part of the filter where the water enters became very brittle and small holes appeared.  I know I need to replace the filters and this probably has something to do with the blocked pump?  Any idea on why this would happen?

Thanks to you both for your replies.  This site is great!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:36:14 pm by Ultrarunner »

rphman

• Caldera Moorea 07
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 02:15:23 pm »
Just had my 07 Caldera circ pump replaced under warranty (still waiting for the trip fee bill, hopefully nothing else!) started to get noisey this fall and then just died. When I restarted the tub it would try to start sounded like a car with a dead battery and would just stop. I would guess yours too is on the way out.

gadfly

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 11:00:46 am »
... Do you know why I would be seeing these deposits? ...  Also, I have noticed that the Tri-X filters started to degrade after a year.  The outside part of the filter where the water enters became very brittle and small holes appeared.  I know I need to replace the filters and this probably has something to do with the blocked pump?  Any idea on why this would happen?

It sounds like you a chemistry problem going on, and your water components are not balanced.  Look at pH, alk, and hardness.  Is the water source a well, or city?  What do you use for a sanitizer?  What other products do you use?

Ultrarunner

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 02:04:24 pm »
Turned out to be a dead circulation pump.  Bought one from the dealer yesterday and everything works great now.  Thanks to you all for your advice.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 04:37:13 pm »
Turned out to be a dead circulation pump.  Bought one from the dealer yesterday and everything works great now.  Thanks to you all for your advice.
Still might be warranty.  Take the old one to the dealer and ask them to submit to Watkins.  If Watkins covers it you should get a refund!  All has to do with those deposits.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 04:37:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42