What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What happened to your tub since you brought it home????  (Read 5096 times)

rphman

• Caldera Moorea 07
What happened to your tub since you brought it home????
« on: March 17, 2011, 01:24:42 am »
Everybody always has questions on what's the best tub to buy. I've asked a few questions here and have read a ton of posts that have help me immensely. I'm a stats guy and I think this would help new buyers make some additional things to think about,and over the last couple of years I don't think I've seen this posted. Post your brand, year, and what went wrong since you've owed it and what did it cost you??? So far I'm very happy with my Caldera Moorea. I did loose the long time dealer after 1 year though.

Model        Year           year owned           part replaced           cost
Caldera       2007          1st year                jet pump 2              $0  (warranty no trip fee)
                                  2rd year                heater board            $0  (warranty swapped out part w/ HS dealer as no Caldera dealer did it myself)
                                  4th                       circ pump                 $?  (new dealer yet to be determined)
                                   next yr??              cover                       $?? (one side starting to get heavy)

Hot Tub Forum

What happened to your tub since you brought it home????
« on: March 17, 2011, 01:24:42 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: What happened to your tub since you brought it home????
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 07:11:54 am »
Not a bad subject.  Mine will be from memory though as I didn't right anything down.

It was about this time of year in 2003 that my tub was delivered (10pm at night after staying home all day waiting for it) (Dynasty Excalibur 4000)

Within a year, the breaker would trip anytime pump # 2 would come on. The tech came out and replaced pump/motor #2, same problem. Found burnt relay on controller board, replaced it, did not put original pump back in.   $0 to me.

Year 2 no problem, but my dealer went out of business and the local police got involved.
Year 3 - FLO problem, Called Dynasty (my tub MFG) They diagnosed bad flow switch, told me how to bypass it so that the heater would come on, but I had to do this a couple of times a day to keep the tub warm.  They Fedex'd the part to me, I replaced it. Still $0

Year 4, pump #1 goes bad Dynasty contracts local guy, he gets new pump, charges me $75, Dynasty pays first hour, he charges me for 2nd hour. - I replace cover, not under warranty.

Year 5 no problems, warranty ends 3/08

Year 6, pump #2 fails, costs me $700 total.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 12:59:25 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

dax

• '07 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 08:18:59 am »
Sundance Cameo purchasesed in June 2007.

July 2007 - Strap on side of cover ripped off.  Dealer replaced the cover.  No cost to me.

January 2011 - Watchdog error due to bad caps on circuit board.  Dealer replaced circuit board under warranty.  Charged $40 gas/travel charge, which seemed a little high.

Very happy with the Cameo, which gets used 3-4x per week on average.  I would most likely choose this model again if I was buying today.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 02:11:47 pm »
I would most likely choose this model again if I was buying today.

That brings up another interesting question to this interesting thread.   Years after my dealer went out of business, the local Sundance/Jacuzzi dealer picked up the Dynasty line.  Would i buy another?  I might, or I might look at the two other lines, or possibly go down the street to the other big dealer who carries Hot Springs/Cal.   My wife loves our Dynasty tub, and I still like it too, so we will probably keep repairing this one for awhile, but occasionally I get the urge to shop new.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 03:14:12 pm »
Bill, how is your sister enjoying her Hot Spring Vanguard?

Term

I'll let you know around Easter.  I liked it on our one visit.  They used it call summer/fall, then decided to do some re-modeling in the area they had the tub, so they drained it and set it aside for the winter. They should be refilling it soon.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 06:45:59 pm by wmccall »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

watzup

• sipping suds
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 05:39:49 pm »
About 5 years old now, a Vita Alero, Year three, noticed that my brown cover is turning white.  Factory Ozinator crapped out.  Bought an aftermarket ozinator, installed myself $100.  Vita out of business.  Almost year 5 noticed that my ozinator crapped out again, talked to manufacturer, they said my circuit board did not have enough "conformal??" coating on it and caused the circuit board to fail. (board looked like somebody dumped powered sugar all over it. )  Free replacement, upgraded board.  Ordered new cover about 3 weeks ago, $349. 

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 11:49:52 pm »
I purchased my Marquis Epic in December 2005...Marquis replaced the tub in 2008 due to crazing in the shell. The tub still lives somewhere because it was resold by my dealer. Prior to that my '05 needed 2 air controls replaced and a light bulb in the waterfall. I never paid a travel fee or anything for warranty service and the replacement cost was about $250.00.

I have just ordered a new cover, not because it is waterlogged, but because the center heat seal (I believe it is called a linear heat seal) has shrunk a bit and steam can leak.

thats all..(at least all that I can remember..lol) :)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

thearm

• EMERALD CLASSIC all the way!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 11:38:57 am »
Bought Emerald 699 classic in November of 2005. Use 4-6 times per week and have had no service issues. Did have to replace cover after 3 1/2 years but due to heavy snow and ice not being cleared properly. Would definitely buy again.

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 12:11:00 pm »
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 10:51:11 am by . »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 12:11:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42