What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: can I have some help with dichlor dosing please, as skin is stinging  (Read 4641 times)

faeriegirl

hi there, at present , I am dosing with 2tsp diclor after me using for about half an hour, but my spa holds 1600 litres water, and i'm not sure if that is too little, for that much water.
I can smell chloramines even though ive just shocked this morning.
Also, my skin is stinging from the water( i do have excema, and I was sensitive to bromine, so I've swapped to dichlor with this tub)
My water looks balanced from the test strips, but i must be doing something wrong!

Hot Tub Forum

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: can I have some help with dichlor dosing please, as skin is stinging
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 07:25:13 pm »
rule of thumb is around 1.5 tsp per person, per use...of course using the strips will help determine just how much demand you need...also the itchy skin can be cause from unbalanced water, forgive me for being blunt but "my water looks balanced based on the test strip" is not an accurate way to balance water, In the meantime I would take a sample to a local dealer to test accurately so you have solid numbers to go off and buy yourself a good test kit so you can balance it properly without driving to a dealer every week....the most recommended test kit is the one below

Taylor K-2006:

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Complete-FAS-DPD-Water-K-2006/dp/B0002IXIIG

faeriegirl

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 07:13:36 am »
thank you, I live in the uk, but i will look on amason uk for the test kit

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 11:46:48 am »
Also - if your chlorine level is way too high, it bleaches the test strips and can give you a false reading. To find out if this is the case, take a small amount of your tub water in a tumbler and mix it with some tap water. Try to get about one part tub water to two parts tap. Test that mixture with your test strips. If it reads a high chlorine level, you may have way too much chlorine in your tub.

To lower chlorine, you can simply use the tub for a few days without adding any more dichlor, or change out part of the water.

Not sure if this is your problem, but something to try.

HTH

8)

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

faeriegirl

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 01:49:07 pm »
thanks so much for the advice.. the water is not smelling now, and I think it was the shock that smelt, as I hadn't left the cover off for it to gas off... I will try that test though

Flyonthewall

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 03:07:40 pm »
one side note that i'm not sure applies here.  in my tub when the cya gets high i feel that same burning/stinging feeling you describe.  fresh water always corrects this for me. 

faeriegirl

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 12:35:15 pm »
my FC is 5 ppm  .  the water is only 3 weeks old. I hink that It's just my skin  and the eczema that is the problem, not the water cos none of my friends find the water stingy.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 12:35:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42