What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: DESPARATELY NEED HELP  (Read 15517 times)

newguy35

DESPARATELY NEED HELP
« on: February 08, 2011, 10:55:28 pm »
hi all. i'm very new to the hot tub scene. i am starting from scratch in terms of doing research to gain a basic understanding of tub features and characteristics and what i should be looking for in making a purchase. i was hoping you guys could help. basically i am looking for a 5-6 person tub. i realize i will need to wet test but i'm pretty sure i will want a lounge. i think for a purchase this significant the warranty is very important. i definitely want a high quality, reputable brand.  i live in a cold climate (rhode island) so energy efficiency will be important.  i would like to keep the cost under $9000. a few tubs i have looked at so far are hotsprings sovereign, limelight flair, and caldera martinique.  are these tubs in the same general class?  how would you guys rank them and why? i really want to make the right decision but its so overwhelming! any advice you all could give would be greatly appreciated!!! 

Hot Tub Forum

DESPARATELY NEED HELP
« on: February 08, 2011, 10:55:28 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: DESPARATELY NEED HELP
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 10:55:12 am »
My personal short list would be Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Marquis, Jacuzzi and Sundance plus you've recognized the need to wet test so I think you're on the right track .
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Water Boy

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 11:06:15 am »
I would also be sure to check and see if you have a local Arctic Spas dealer and give them a shot. They are right in line with the list that Spatech mentioned.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

newguy35

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 10:10:10 pm »
thanks for the replies, guys.  the hotsprings sovereign and limelight flair are sold by the same dealer, and the caldera martinique is a different dealer. the sovereign is a little bit more expensive than the flair and martinique.  do you think its worth the extra dough? the dealer spoke of the tri-x filters and the 24hr circulation pump in the sovereign. when discussing insulation he said both the flair and sovereign are full foam but the sovereign uses a thicker or better grade insulation so it should be cheaper to run? a while back when i was researching the flair one of the things i was hesitant about was the warranty wasn't quite as good as the hotsprings, but the dealer told me they recently increased it to the same level as hotsprings so that isn't a concern anymore. what other features are important? are things like continuous horsepower and filtration area important?  does anyone have direct experience with these tubs? any knowledge of repair history?  sorry i'm kind of all over the place. just want to pick the experts' brains! 

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 07:08:22 am »
Welcome to the forum, your list is a good one. Take your time with the purchase, its a big decision. I think you have the right ideas.  Talk to each dealer about the warranty and everything that it covers and doesn't cover. That does vary a little from brand to brand and dealer to dealer.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 11:18:39 am »
thanks for the replies, guys.  the hotsprings sovereign and limelight flair are sold by the same dealer, and the caldera martinique is a different dealer. the sovereign is a little bit more expensive than the flair and martinique.  do you think its worth the extra dough? the dealer spoke of the tri-x filters and the 24hr circulation pump in the sovereign. when discussing insulation he said both the flair and sovereign are full foam but the sovereign uses a thicker or better grade insulation so it should be cheaper to run? a while back when i was researching the flair one of the things i was hesitant about was the warranty wasn't quite as good as the hotsprings, but the dealer told me they recently increased it to the same level as hotsprings so that isn't a concern anymore. what other features are important? are things like continuous horsepower and filtration area important?  does anyone have direct experience with these tubs? any knowledge of repair history?  sorry i'm kind of all over the place. just want to pick the experts' brains!  

I'll try to cover a couple things you mentioned. The insulation difference he’s probably talking about is that Hot Spring uses more dense foam in some areas, so its not really about being “thicker”. The other two are completely filled with ˝# foam only like pretty much all other foam filled spas so they'll insulate fine but the denser foam in certain areas does make it a little better insulated but not major unless you're in a really cold area and even then I'd expect it to be pretty close. I wouldn't worry too much about the horsepower, worry more about the feel of them if you're able to wet test. Filtration is important obviously, I think you’ll find all use a 24 hour circ pump so the difference is the Hot Spring filters through the main pumps when they are too which you can think of as a bonus but not the deal maker. Take into account what each spa has, the cost of each (along with what is included) and by all means, negotiate the best deal you can get since all prices are negotiable.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 02:09:52 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Water Boy

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 08:52:40 pm »
Since when did the Limelights switch to a five year warranty? Last I saw on the web they were a three year. Can any of the Watkins boys confirm this?

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 12:43:18 pm »
Since when did the Limelights switch to a five year warranty? Last I saw on the web they were a three year. Can any of the Watkins boys confirm this?

Limelight has a 3 year warranty on all major components, not 5.
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

Water Boy

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 08:18:13 am »
Thanks Soak-ing. Thats what I thought. The OP had said something that the dealer told him that it was the same as the HS warranty now, so I thought maybe it had changed for 2011. He must have gotten some bad info from that dealer. ???

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 10:08:08 am »
2011 Limelight warranty is same as Hot Spring.  5 years parts and labor.  It's no secret.  See http://www.limelighthottubs.com/hot_tub_owners.html#hot-tub-concierge?id=warranty-owners-manual
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Water Boy

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 05:07:45 pm »
Ok, so its a five year after all! Thanks for sharing Dan.

newguy35

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 08:49:49 pm »
yes, the dealer showed me the warranty.  in fact its actually slightly better with an extra year on the lights, i believe. does anyone here have any experience with the limelights in general, the flair in particular?  having the beefed up warranty puts it back in the running for me. also it is a bit cheaper in price compared to the hotsprings sovereign. approximately $1000 less. its very similarly priced to the caldera martinique that i am also looking at.  the sovereign includes an ozonator, however, while the flair does not.  i cannot remember if the martinique includes an ozonator.  if the tub i choose does not come with one, i am definitely getting it added, as that is a must for me.

Water Boy

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 11:21:49 am »
Hmm, well just clicked on the link as Flash wont work on my phone. Anyways, on the secret that Dan shared with us, it still shows three year on the link. Sorry to keep beating a dead horse. I'm sure Watkins just hasn't changed it on their site yet, but it still shows a three year for now.
http://www.limelighthottubs.com/downloads/warranty.pdf

Nilking

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 03:00:33 pm »
yes, the dealer showed me the warranty.  in fact its actually slightly better with an extra year on the lights, i believe. does anyone here have any experience with the limelights in general, the flair in particular?  having the beefed up warranty puts it back in the running for me. also it is a bit cheaper in price compared to the hotsprings sovereign. approximately $1000 less. its very similarly priced to the caldera martinique that i am also looking at.  the sovereign includes an ozonator, however, while the flair does not.  i cannot remember if the martinique includes an ozonator.  if the tub i choose does not come with one, i am definitely getting it added, as that is a must for me.

I own a Limelight Pulse and I'm very pleased with it. I have had problems with some of the lights but my dealer fixed it in an instant.
HotSpring Limelight Pulse

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 04:38:16 pm »
Hmm, well just clicked on the link as Flash wont work on my phone. Anyways, on the secret that Dan shared with us, it still shows three year on the link. Sorry to keep beating a dead horse. I'm sure Watkins just hasn't changed it on their site yet, but it still shows a three year for now.
http://www.limelighthottubs.com/downloads/warranty.pdf

very strange that they haven't updated this yet, but it is in fact a 5 year instead of the 3 year on all new Limelight models

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 04:38:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42