What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Comparing 2 used tubs  (Read 7468 times)

justnoah

Comparing 2 used tubs
« on: January 15, 2011, 11:50:48 pm »
Hello there -- I've been reading through all the threads on this forum in preparation for purchasing and owning my first hot tub.  I did however grow up with a tub (wooden!) so I have lots of experience using and maintaining them.

I'm in the market for a used spa, which there seem to be many of here in Portland, Oregon.  I've gotten down to 2 solid choices, both of which I've inspected and done wet tests of today. 

The first option is a 4.5 year old Tiger River Caspian, which still has 7 months left on the warranty.  The tub has only been lightly used, and it seems in very good shape.  Price with professional delivery is $3990 but I can likely negotiate this down.

The second option is a 4+ year old Sweetwater Lagunas.  It is being sold as the result of a divorce and the guy selling it says it was mostly his wife who used it and he has only been in it 5 or 6 times in the past year.  Asking price is $1650 and this can also likely be negotiated down.

The difference in these tubs was clear during the wet test.  Both were comfortable, heated well and were enjoyable.  The Caspian has many more bells and whistles -- more jets, more settings, a greater variety of seats, a LED control panel, a blue light, steps, a foot massage feature.. and more.  The Lagunas was pretty basic with fewer options for jets, one light, nothing fancy. 

In the past I've been mostly a soak in quiet kind of guy, so I'm not thinking jets are that important.. but I did like the foot massage feature in the Caspian and some of the jets on the back were pretty nice.  I'm thinking however that something basic like the Lagunas, with +/- $2000 in savings might be the way to go given that it is much simpler machine so less to break and even with some repairs I'll still come out ahead in the long run.  Friends with Hot Springs tubs have urged me to spend the extra money for the Tiger River and say that in the long run with greater reliability and more features the money won't matter as much.  Of course I'd rather save $2K but at the end of the day if the more expensive spa is the right one then it's money well spent.

Any thoughts?  Advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Hot Tub Forum

Comparing 2 used tubs
« on: January 15, 2011, 11:50:48 pm »

castletonia

Re: Comparing 2 used tubs
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 09:15:18 am »
Warranties don't usually transfer to a second owner so i would look into that some more. 

justnoah

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 10:37:34 am »
Warranties don't usually transfer to a second owner so i would look into that some more. 

Thanks; I called the dealer (who would also be doing the move) and they said that the warranty would transfer.  I'm still not putting too much stock into that given that it is only 7 months left. 

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 11:18:26 am »
These are both lower-line spas but should be more than enough for you.  However, you need to realize that as a spa gets older, the maintenance that it received over it's lifetime becomes more and more critical.  So, if the used one was well maintained, you may want to consider it but if it was me, I would buy the nicer, newer spa as there has been less time for someone to have ignored it.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 05:34:04 pm »
These are both lower-line spas but should be more than enough for you.  However, you need to realize that as a spa gets older, the maintenance that it received over it's lifetime becomes more and more critical.  So, if the used one was well maintained, you may want to consider it but if it was me, I would buy the nicer, newer spa as there has been less time for someone to have ignored it.

They're both good secondary lines to top manufacturer but I wouldn't use the term "lower" because its mostly about less bells and whistles and less warranty. I personally like these secondarly lines because I don't get chills from special lighting, waterfalls, longer warranties, but thats just me obviosuly.

This is one that really can't be answered by anyone but the person wet testing and the one with teh check book IMO. Its not which spa is better but which is better at the two prices which certainly vary. Certainly work the best deal you can get and then think about what you really want and as always with used spas, condition means everything and being a DIYer is helpful.

220, 221, whatever it takes!

justnoah

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 04:41:47 pm »
Update -- I was able to get the price of the Tiger River Caspian down considerably -- $3000 including delivery and install, all chemicals, 7 months left on warranty... so I did the deed.  Should be delivered early next week, I can't wait!  Thanks to all for your advice. 

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 10:24:13 am »
Congratulations! I'm sure you will be happy with your Caspian.  :)
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

Jet Sitter

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 11:59:51 am »
Good for you Noah - that's a nice tub!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 05:53:58 pm »
Did you get the sub panel with the 30 and 20 amp gfci breakers?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

justnoah

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 12:47:13 am »
Did you get the sub panel with the 30 and 20 amp gfci breakers?

Yes, that is coming as well.

Getting quotes in the $300-$400 range to hook it up which doesn't seem so bad. 

I'll report back once it is here, set-up and working.  I grew up with a (redwood) tub so I am not to worried about the chemistry. 

Vanguard

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 02:13:49 am »
Just curious, did you get the warranty statement in writing?  Watkins does not transfer warranties.  If the dealer is telling you that you will have a warranty for seven months, it's on them.  Better make sure you get it in writing.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 11:25:36 am »
Just curious, did you get the warranty statement in writing?  Watkins does not transfer warranties.  If the dealer is telling you that you will have a warranty for seven months, it's on them.  Better make sure you get it in writing.

Agree, obviously the dealer is taking care of this or plans to be creative with the warranty paperwork (maybe submitting it under the original owners name?) but since the warranty does not transfer its all on them to come through for you and having it in writing is worth 50x the value of quoting the verbal promise later on.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 12:05:09 pm »
Update -- I was able to get the price of the Tiger River Caspian down considerably -- $3000 including delivery and install, all chemicals, 7 months left on warranty... so I did the deed.  Should be delivered early next week, I can't wait!  Thanks to all for your advice. 

Congrats, I've talked with many happy owners of that spa.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

justnoah

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 02:06:09 pm »
The warranty as it turns out is a bit of a tricky issue.  The person selling it sold me that the warranty transfers, as they were told that by the dealer, but upon further inspection as you all pointed out the warranty is not transferable.  Given that the dealer gave some... lets just say confusing counsel to the original owner, which caused them to tell me that the tub was under warranty -- they knocked a little more off the price AND since they were so confident in the condition of the price agreed to share in the cost of any repairs over the next 6 months remaining on the warranty.  That seems more than fair.  The cover ended up needing to be replaced which I guess is not a big surprise given that it is 4.5 years old so I'm trying to decide between a DuraTherm cover from Spa Depot or a cover from RH Tubs.  Both look like good choices.

As a side note, my original plan to put the tub on my deck turned out to not be such a "solid" (pun intended) plan -- so I had to have a a section out of my deck removed and then pour a pad.  That happened last week, the tub was delivered and sat empty for a week until yesterday when the electrician hooked it up.  I filled it with water last night (in 30 degree temps, so I was crossing my fingers that the heater would work.. it did).  It was 49 degrees when I filled it, 83 degrees when I woke up, and if my calculations are correct should just be breaking the 100 degree mark.  I guess this means its time for me to go have my first soak!

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 05:26:26 pm »
The warranty as it turns out is a bit of a tricky issue.  The person selling it sold me that the warranty transfers, as they were told that by the dealer, but upon further inspection as you all pointed out the warranty is not transferable.  Given that the dealer gave some... lets just say confusing counsel to the original owner, which caused them to tell me that the tub was under warranty -- they knocked a little more off the price AND since they were so confident in the condition of the price agreed to share in the cost of any repairs over the next 6 months remaining on the warranty.  That seems more than fair.  The cover ended up needing to be replaced which I guess is not a big surprise given that it is 4.5 years old so I'm trying to decide between a DuraTherm cover from Spa Depot or a cover from RH Tubs.  Both look like good choices.

As a side note, my original plan to put the tub on my deck turned out to not be such a "solid" (pun intended) plan -- so I had to have a a section out of my deck removed and then pour a pad.  That happened last week, the tub was delivered and sat empty for a week until yesterday when the electrician hooked it up.  I filled it with water last night (in 30 degree temps, so I was crossing my fingers that the heater would work.. it did).  It was 49 degrees when I filled it, 83 degrees when I woke up, and if my calculations are correct should just be breaking the 100 degree mark.  I guess this means its time for me to go have my first soak!

The details on the warranty don't surprise but it sounds like you found a 'reasonable" seller so congrats on what looks to be a pretty good deal.  Enjoy your soak tonight and come back on here and let us know how it went!
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 05:26:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42