What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Questions, Looking to purchase first Tub.  (Read 7308 times)

Jet Sitter

Re: Questions, Looking to purchase first Tub.
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 12:47:54 pm »
I hear ya drmac.  In this case the poster is getting all the extras that aren't really extras - cover, chems but also some things that are not - stereo, lifter.  Personally I am not a fan of stereos that come with tubs but some people really enjoy them.  I don't play music when in the tub.

It sounds like the dealer came down $700 from the original price of $11,700.  You referenced list price in your post - not sure what list would be for this tub but it would be much higher.

As for Marquis pricing - I could have ordered a new Epic for about $8000 in my market last summer.  You may have left some money on the table or maybe your market is different.

Anyway - I think the poster has found a tub he really likes and price seems very fair so why not pull the trigger and be happy?  If price was out of line sure, but just becasue it is on the floor doesn't mean the dealer will bend over to get rid of it.  On the other hand - it never hurts to ask...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 12:47:54 pm »

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 03:14:24 pm »
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 04:31:06 pm by . »

hailypup20

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 03:58:23 pm »
Although I rarely post, some folks were of great help to me about 4 months ago when we were looking to purchase a hot tub.  My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the Cameo after wet testing, which is the companion to the Optima (less foot jet action, but a lounger, and we both like the lounger!)

As for pricing, that was my concern that brought me to this forum...we were at the end of the 2010 model year season (August/Sept, and even into Oct when we finalized everything) timeframe.  For comparison purposes, we received the 2010 Cameo, in our choice of color combination, with the standards (steps, cover, cover lifter, starter chems), about an additional 3 months of chemicals, a 'free upgrade' to the premium stereo (which at first we didn't care much about, but have really grown to enjoy the stereo...it might not last forever, but it is actually something we use almost every time we go in), and a rebate offer for a $500 Apple gift card (which we just received).

I know our dealer was able to combine a couple offers, but we got this for $10,000 + tax (negotiated it down an additional $200 by paying cash, which may be another tactic you can employ).  We did exhaustive research, and feel that, yes, maybe we 'could' have got our dealer down a bit more, but that overall it was a very nice package for a very competitive price.  For reference purposes, the 'deal' price on the sign next to the tub was in the upper $11,000s...with a 'list' price (which included a very overpriced stereo/ozone, etc) for around $14,000.

Anyway, probably a bit more than you want to know, but if it helps you to feel out your deal, it may be helpful. 

mouth

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 05:48:59 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback and we have decided to go ahead with the purchase of the Sundance Optima for $11,000 (Copper Sand / Mohaganny with Cover, Cover Lifter, Steps, Chemicals, Intelli-Sound Stereo, Sunzone CD Ozone Generator and Delivery & Set-up). Also, I did find a $300 gift card voucher (if I spend $3000 or more) on there website, so this should buy another filter among other things.

Jet Sitter

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 05:59:46 pm »
haileypup - Glad that you are enjoying your tub and that this forum was helpful to you.  It has certainly been helpful to me.

drmac - Thinking out loud is good.  Sharing perspectives and thoughts is how we all learn.  My thinking has evolved over time as others have given me their point of view.

My personality is such that I am a relentless researcher and investigator when it comes to purchasing anything - thank goodness my wife is largely tolerant of this obsession.  It was no different when I looked into hot tubs and it was very frustrating to find that the hot tub industry is a one of a kind challenge when it comes to figuring out pricing.

I found that prices for two leading brands were signiicantly higher in my local market than what others reported elsewhere.  The reasons for that were never clear to me but I tried my best on one of the lines that I was very interested in to work out a better deal.  There was always a different reason for why they could give me "such a good price" this time, but the price alway worked out to be the same.

One interesting aspect is that I was actually looking over a period of three model years.  I was very interested in two models from one manufacturer.  Although there were no real changes in the tubs over that time, the price on the lower one stayed about the same while the price on the higher one went up about $1500.  Also during that time, the premium tier of these tubs disappeared from the show room which made that tub that had gone up $1500 the highest pricied tub on the floor and it is in their mid-range line.  In the end I don't think it had much to do with their cost, overhead, shipping, pricing etc.  I think it had more to do with what people would pay for them.  And there is absolutely nothing wrong with this - it is the way capitalism works.  As for me, I have a choice in the matter too and was not one of those willing to pay what was asked.  I ended up buying a tub from another manufacturer.  Interestingly, in my market their tubs were selling for less than what people where reporting elsewhere.

I have heard some negative things about some of the dealers, but in my experience I have felt that they all treated me fairly and I enjoyed the process.  I felt that I got a very good fair deal from my dealer and perhaps I could have tried to work 'em down more but I am happy with the tub and what I paid and feel my relationship with the dealer is very positive.

Jet Sitter

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 06:01:13 pm »
mouth - while I was posting your post came in.  Congrats to you - the Optima is an awesome tub and you will be very ahppy with it!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 06:01:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42