What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: first timer needs help  (Read 5429 times)

culk

first timer needs help
« on: November 30, 2010, 04:03:21 pm »
I am new to the forum and a first time hot tub buyer. Actually, I am looking to replace my old Jacuzzi Z-255. This hot tub was with the house when I moved in, so I have never before done any hot tub shopping.

My wife and I have looked at three brands and I am looking for some expert and/or experienced opinions. The 3 brands we have looked at are Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Sundance. I believe all three are reptable quality brands but would appreciate but would appreciate any input. Of course all three dealers state emphatically that theirs is the best product.

i am also curious about the relationship between Sundance and Jacuzzi. I have been told that Sundance owns Jacuzzi, that Jacuzzi owns Sundance, that they are both owned by the same parent company and also that they are completely separate. Can anyone enlighten me?

The Specific products we are looking at are:

Sundance Burlington @$6445
Sundance Hartford @$6795

Jacuzzi J375 @$8395

Hot Springs Vanguard @? (don't remember)

the various models have different options which I'm sure accounts for some of the price variation. All three would have the ozonator and 24 hr filtration. The Hartford has a stereo, but as it is a floor model it has been priced attractively (I think). All three are local dealers within a 30 minute drive from my home and all offer service.

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

first timer needs help
« on: November 30, 2010, 04:03:21 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: first timer needs help
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 07:28:47 pm »
All 3 are very good brands. You may not be totally comparing apples to apples with those models which may account for some of the price differences but compare the warranties, the features, the dealers and by all means we test.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

smokeandsoak

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 11:06:38 pm »
I suggest getting your suit and making an appointment with the dealers to actually get in and test out a full tub.  Make your decision after a soak in each tub.  Any dealer should be happy to oblige and if not...run away.

hd2000

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 06:43:41 am »
Having owned 2 HS spa's and 1 Sundance I can tell you that those two brands are great selections.  We haven't owned a Jacuzzi.  With about 16 years of Sundance ownership, my repairs have consisted of replacing one pump and one flow switch.  With over 10 years of HS ownership I've had to replace one heater.  I think the 3 you've selected are all top shelf makes and I wouldn't let the make influence my selection.  Get into the tubs and see which fits your needs best.  If you're happy with the price points on each, then pick the one that you like best.  You are not comparing a high end product to a bottom feeder.  I don't think one of those is particularly better than either of the others, but you are comparing slightly lower end models, your Sundance choices, with the HS and Jacuzzi models, which in my opinion are a little better tubs given the models you are comparing.  I believe that is affecting the price swings as much as anything.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 09:11:50 am by hd2000 »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 07:45:51 am »
Welcome to the forum!  You've got a few good replies already, when I have more time, I'll look at those models.  I have found my sister's Vanguard very comfortable.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

bikz

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 07:58:02 am »
Which ever Spa you choose. Make sure the dealer is as reputable as the Spa manufacturer. Post purchase dealer support is very important.
There are three kinds of men. Those who learn by reading. Those who learn by observation. And, those who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 01:08:14 pm »
All 3 brands a very good. like Spatech said you might not be comparing apple to apple for the models you chose....I believe both are made in the same factory on the same line, just different builds. I also believe Jacuzzi owns Sundance and the parent company is the Apollo Group....Its funny how the different dealers say they are the best... if one brand was the best there would be no competitors,, I would ask the dealers you are looking at, aside from the spas brand A, or Brand B , and Brand C why should i buy from you, see if they are truly passionate about what they do or they really have nothing to offer you, as in service after the sale, chemical programs, in store help...etc......I love when a customer comes in to my store saying the other stores i have been to have all said their spas are the best. and i suppose you are going to tell me the same thing. I say NO and their jaw drops, then it starts the conversation on a great note ...which i believe builds a trusting relationship between the customer and the dealership/ salesman.....
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

culk

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 02:03:46 pm »
Thanks for all your responses so far. i am sure you are right that I may not be comparing apples and apples. But as I said in my original post, I am a first timer and I need help.
Basically, the models selected originally were for a couple reasons. I am trying to match as close as possible to the footprint of my existing tub so the platform will conform. Second, these were models that were in stock with immediate availabilty and supposedly 'priced to sell'.
We have since narrowed our preferences a bit. We do not want a lounge. We do want the foot massage such as on the J365 for example. We have been convinced that we should also have the 24 hr circulation and ozonator.
Not much of an update but that is where we are so far.

hd2000

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 07:20:52 am »
I think you're making some pretty wise decisions.  A lounger isn't for everyone and personally, I can do without one and the foot massage to.  We have had loungers in the past and for us anyway, the benefit isn't worth the seating room that is sacrificed to get it.  The ozonator and the circ pump are good choices.  Be sure to sit in whatever you pick and the wet test (soak) is also important.  A tub you think will be great may not be what you hoped for once it's full of water and running with you sitting in it.  Good luck. 

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 07:42:03 am »
One thought on foot massagers, if you tall enough, they make great back massagers.  I'll frequently sit on the bottom of my tub and let mine blast my back.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

daddiosbarbershop

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 03:43:49 pm »
 ;D
hi.........own a sundance maxximus..........luv it......never had a prob.and the size for 4 is the best !!

mouth

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 06:12:43 pm »
Just wet tested a Jucuzzi J365 (Quoted $8500 OTD w/ stereo, ozonator, etc), Caldera Niagara (Quoted $8700 + tax), Sundance Chelsee ($9000 OTD) and Sundance Optima ($11,000 OTD w/ Stereo, Ozonator, etc). We had only planned on spending between $8000 & $9000, but after Wet Testing we chose the Optima. As a lot of people on this forum will tell you Wet Test, Wet Test, Wet Test. All of the tubs are nice in there own way, we just felt the Optima was the best for us. I learned during the wet test how much I liked the Foot Jets and also moving around seat to seat, some of the tubs only one or two seats did my shoulders sit under water and I'm only 5'10".

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 06:12:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42