What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: new hot tub- accessories to buy  (Read 3490 times)

vic810

new hot tub- accessories to buy
« on: March 05, 2011, 10:10:19 pm »
Hi all, I am getting a 2010 sundance optima and planning to buy the taylor 2106 for sanitation but was wondering:
1) Are pre-filters for garden hose prior to filling hot tub worth it? If so, any specific model?

2) Are thermal floating spa blankets worth buying?

3)Are any other accessories recommended to invest in?

thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

new hot tub- accessories to buy
« on: March 05, 2011, 10:10:19 pm »

hailypup20

Re: new hot tub- accessories to buy
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 10:44:40 am »
I'll throw a couple cents in as a response and piggyback on your questions as I have some that are very similar...

First, I was recommended on this forum to buy the Taylor Kit, and I'm happy I received the advice...it definitely takes more time, and I typically only perform the tests every weekend (unless something is out of order).  My only wish is that the kit came with more of the CYA reagent...you fly through that stuff (or at least I did).  I feel much more confident in the results than with the strips, though the strips do serve their purpose for a quick snapshot.

As for the comments on the prefilter...I have *very* hard water, and also had to add a lot of muriatic acid to my water to get the TA down to a reasonable level (and to get my pH balanced).  My CH has been in the 400-450 range (and I really don't think there is a darn thing I can do about it other than not get it at that level in the first place).  Being my first fill, and not knowing things as well as I should (I probably still don't...) I ended up using a TON of DiChlor before getting the balance of pH and TA to a reasonable level (which is why my CYA is now so high...but this has been a brutal winter in NW Indiana...so water swaps haven't been a possibility thus far).  Either way, I HAVE bought pre-filters to try and make the next fill a bit more manageable.  Long story short, although I'm interested in what other folks think, I'll let you know how it goes when I try...which hopefully will be by the end of the month!

Same question about spa blankets...are they more hassle than they are worth?  I've ruled out the bubble types as they just seem cheap in appearance to me, but I've been thinking about getting one of these... http://www.rhtubs.com/store/float.htm

No accessories for us thus far (btw, we have a 2010 Sundance Cameo) other than a simple coat hanger rack for towels and other clothes...

Cheers - hailypup20

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 10:12:14 pm »
General consensus here and at other forums is that the spa blankets are not worth the $'s as they are not effective
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 07:09:01 am »
My favorite accessory is an oversized robe and a hook to hang it on, I'm the one staying out adding chemicals after everyone else gets out. 
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 11:13:53 am »
I beg to differ with you Ndabunka about the spa blankets. :) Here is my take and I will back it up with the fact that I have used one almost the whole time that I have had my tub.  The bubbles are trash, don't waste the postage...but the other spa blanket that Doc offers has proven to me to be a worthwhile investment.  My cover is over 5 years old. It is not waterlogged or damaged from shocking or anything. I attribute that to the protection offered by the spa blanket. While I do need a new cover now, I believe the reason that my cover is allowing heat to migrate out is a result of shrinkage of the vinyl...more so from the intense sun and heat that the cover endures, than from the water in the tub. If I had a spa blanket right now, I would not have even noticed that small gap between the center heat seal and the lip of the tub. The steam would not have escaped.

While the blankets are something that will need to be replaced,  I do believe that they add to the insulation and extend the life of the cover.  Since I am all about insulation right now, I have ordered a spa blanket with my new cover.  The blanket is actually coming through my dealer and they have offered to custom cut it for my tub. I just wanted to try something new and see if it has a longer life than the ones that I previously used.

As far as being a pain to deal with..since my 20 year old son does not complain one bit about the blanket..I am going to say not really a pain. You just have to make it work with your cover lifter.  Doc sells blanket leashes too.  I can remember soaking in pouring rain and hanging the blanket from the top of my cover to make an awning..lol

I also like the pre-filters for the water because I have iron in my well water and it helps to remove the iron when I fill the tub.

Once you get your tub, you will figure out what you really need. It seems fun to buy the things now that you think you will wan,t but often it ends up that you don't need all those extras at all.  Bill's thick robe is a great idea...and definitely that hook to hang it on..Best wishes and enjoy! ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 11:13:53 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42