What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: buying a replacement cover online  (Read 6450 times)

abbyying

buying a replacement cover online
« on: November 14, 2010, 11:32:40 am »
forum newbie...

i am researching buying a replacement cover for my spa. after some research, i think i am going to try and save a bit of cash and buy it online. there are many companies that all seem to offer similar products, but without seeing them who knows.. i want tp spend less than $400

my spa is a 79" square (islander dx-300). i think i want a 4"-2" taper, 1.5-2lb virgin foam with good cover material. i am in AZ so uv protection is probably more important that insulation.

any opinions on these companies?

Spamart.com
Spacoversdirect.com
Hottubworks.com
Spacovercompany.com
Thecoverguy.com

Hot Tub Forum

buying a replacement cover online
« on: November 14, 2010, 11:32:40 am »

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
Re: buying a replacement cover online
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 09:50:52 pm »
No matter who you buy from, make sure you get acquainted with and invest in some 303 Aerospace Protectant.  Arizona sun is very hard on the vinyl in spa covers.

abbyying

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 10:57:25 pm »
thanks shaamus.

i see the spamart icon next to your name. i assume this is a company you are affiliated with? the spamart website describes the foam using "1.25#".. does that equate to "1.25 lb". is the 303 aerospace protectant something spamart offers? thanks in advance :)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 07:35:28 am »
At least here where I live the 303 protectant is cheapest at boat stores.  Our local spa stores mark it up 1-200%
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

abbyying

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 09:42:01 am »
so the 303 protectant is something you apply to the cover?

still looking for advice on online companies. all look similar in product and prices. i guess the question may be are there any to stay away from? another company to add would be www.rhtubs.com.

Spamart.com
Spacoversdirect.com
Hottubworks.com
Spacovercompany.com
Thecoverguy.com

it seems that representatives www.rhtubs.com and spamart.com are on this forum which does give me some confidence in working with them. thoughts?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 10:47:20 am »
Also, be sure to see what some include as standard, that others charge extra for (options).
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

watzup

• sipping suds
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 04:56:01 pm »
forum newbie...

i am researching buying a replacement cover for my spa. after some research, i think i am going to try and save a bit of cash and buy it online. there are many companies that all seem to offer similar products, but without seeing them who knows.. i want tp spend less than $400

my spa is a 79" square (islander dx-300). i think i want a 4"-2" taper, 1.5-2lb virgin foam with good cover material. i am in AZ so uv protection is probably more important that insulation.

any opinions on these companies?

Spamart.com
Spacoversdirect.com
Hottubworks.com
Spacovercompany.com
Thecoverguy.com

Keep us informed on your decision as I too am in the market.  My vinyl is getting pretty stiff and starting to crack.  I am trying to decide on rounded cover corners or the split corners.  Got online estimates from the five you mentioned and they are within $50 of each other. 

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 10:30:15 pm »
We do 1.25 lb foam as the standard lower density.  We don't sell 1# foam, but wanted to be able to stay competitive with companies that did and the cost jump to 1.5# would not have allowed us to do so.  So we offer 1.25# and 2#.

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 10:34:23 pm »
and to answer your other question...

We do sell 303 in 8oz, 16oz, 32oz, gallons and the new wipes.  But it is sold many places.  Besides being the #1 recommended protectant for spa covers, it's widely used in the boating industry.  You could walk into a local marine supply store and buy it.  I know Doc's got it as well as HotTubWorks (which is also spacovercompany.com).

Kingwilly

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 04:10:30 pm »
Please keep us posted....I am looking for a spa cover and just don't know who to trust.  The last cover I bought was a piece of crap and I thought I researched it pretty good.  I am looking at aluminum covers, but I have not found a single person to chime in on if it is worth $1200 bucks.  I see a few pictures of different weather conditions, but no one saying that really rock or they suck.

If I can't find some advice on aluminum, I need to find someone who sells a very strong "walk on" cover....if that is even a correct term used in the cover industry.

KW

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 05:02:03 pm »
so the 303 protectant is something you apply to the cover?

still looking for advice on online companies. all look similar in product and prices. i guess the question may be are there any to stay away from? another company to add would be www.rhtubs.com.

Spamart.com
Spacoversdirect.com
Hottubworks.com
Spacovercompany.com
Thecoverguy.com

it seems that representatives www.rhtubs.com and spamart.com are on this forum which does give me some confidence in working with them. thoughts?

Don't forget about RHTUBS dot com
Retired

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 08:19:38 pm »
I agree with RHTUBS! I haven't bought a cover from them yet but buy all my spa stuff and they have GREAT prices and customer service!

Jet Sitter

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 08:36:15 pm »
Please keep us posted....I am looking for a spa cover and just don't know who to trust.  The last cover I bought was a piece of crap and I thought I researched it pretty good.  I am looking at aluminum covers, but I have not found a single person to chime in on if it is worth $1200 bucks.  I see a few pictures of different weather conditions, but no one saying that really rock or they suck.

If I can't find some advice on aluminum, I need to find someone who sells a very strong "walk on" cover....if that is even a correct term used in the cover industry.

KW

Kingwilly - I'll chime in just so you'll have at least one data point.

"The aluminum cover is not worth $1200."

Keep in mind that I don't really have any knowledge about aluminum covers and alternatives that may be suitable for walking on.  I believe that you can't go wrong with a cover from rhtubs, but this is based on reupatation and not my personal experience as I have not purchased one but that is where I will shop when the time comes.

Do you need to have a walk on cover or could you have a conventional cover and just span it when necessary with some type of walkable surface like a deck or perhaps use an obstacle to prevent walking on the cover?

Kingwilly

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 05:43:40 am »
I don't have to have a walk on, but my tub is sunk into my patio and it is right next to my patio furniture.  I really want to get a heavy duty cover.

KW

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 05:43:40 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42