What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Will someone LEVEL with me?  (Read 3476 times)

bikz

Will someone LEVEL with me?
« on: November 14, 2010, 10:57:20 am »
I'm debating(with myself) what method I should use to decrease the amount of slope my not so level patio slab has. It has a slope of 1" over five feet. Other than that it has no soup bowls(low spots).

My tubs base is 7' x 5', and will be installed with the slope running from one side of the five foot width to the other.

My original idea was to rip an inch off of a PT 2x4 on the high side making it a 2x2.5 and using a 2x4(3.5) on the low side. Then rip the center support lumber and corner braces to match and maintain level.  

Well, my tub is resting on its side at the moment. So, I thought I would see how well this support base would line up with, and level the factories tub base.

Here's what I discovered when I ran a tight line from one side of the tubs base to the other. The tubs cross braces are no less than 1/4 inch from being flush with the tight line. None extend beyond the tight line, but all fall short of touching it. Which means none of my center support boards would contact the factories cross braces or if they did they would not touch my slab.

Had my pad been level I'd probably never have noticed this and just set the tub in place.

All this leads to this simple question. Just how important is it to have these center supports (foot well)contact the slab or base we are going to set them on?

Seems to me if it were that important. A HIGH END manufacturer such as the one who built my tub, would have built it to the same standard they require for the pad it will set on?

Just trying to do it right. I don't want a future warranty squabble.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 01:59:08 pm by bikz »
There are three kinds of men. Those who learn by reading. Those who learn by observation. And, those who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Hot Tub Forum

Will someone LEVEL with me?
« on: November 14, 2010, 10:57:20 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Will someone LEVEL with me?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 05:05:43 pm »
I'm debating(with myself) what method I should use to decrease the amount of slope my not so level patio slab has. It has a slope of 1" over five feet. Other than that it has no soup bowls(low spots).

My tubs base is 7' x 5', and will be installed with the slope running from one side of the five foot width to the other.

My original idea was to rip an inch off of a PT 2x4 on the high side making it a 2x2.5 and using a 2x4(3.5) on the low side. Then rip the center support lumber and corner braces to match and maintain level.  

Well, my tub is resting on its side at the moment. So, I thought I would see how well this support base would line up with, and level the factories tub base.

Here's what I discovered when I ran a tight line from one side of the tubs base to the other. The tubs cross braces are no less than 1/4 inch from being flush with the tight line. None extend beyond the tight line, but all fall short of touching it. Which means none of my center support boards would contact the factories cross braces or if they did they would not touch my slab.

Had my pad been level I'd probably never have noticed this and just set the tub in place.

All this leads to this simple question. Just how important is it to have these center supports (foot well)contact the slab or base we are going to set them on?

Seems to me if it were that important. A HIGH END manufacturer such as the one who built my tub, would have built it to the same standard they require for the pad it will set on?

Just trying to do it right. I don't want a future warranty squabble.

If you put a couple thousand pounds of water in the tub you think the center supports will be on the slab?
Retired

bikz

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 06:37:04 pm »
If you put a couple thousand pounds of water in the tub you think the center supports will be on the slab?
[/quote]

Tman122,

I would think so.

My concern was having the additional 1/4"+ flex before those supports came in contact with the slab or shims(allowed by manufacturer). While it may not be a problem today. I don't want tub failure five years from now.

A couple of conversations with tech support and I was assured the additional 1/4" was nothing to be concerned about. Particularly with this tub model. So, using redwood I shimmed the three center supports(6 shim points) and also used redwood to fur the gap between the kick plate and my slab. Just finished actually. I'm pleased with how it turned out and feel confident it will hold up well. :) Unlike those who live in wet climates and need to be concerned with dry rot. Where I live we're lucky if we see three inches of rain a year.

Tomorrow..finish electrical hook up.....then it'll be time to add that couple thousand pounds of  water!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 06:48:31 pm by bikz »
There are three kinds of men. Those who learn by reading. Those who learn by observation. And, those who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

watzup

• sipping suds
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 01:21:16 pm »
Send us some pics! when you are done....or during if you feel up to it

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 01:21:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42