What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: replacing pressure switch  (Read 8177 times)

gebby

replacing pressure switch
« on: November 18, 2010, 09:27:33 am »
I own a Hydropool hot tub purchased in either 2004 or 2005 and I am getting a "FL" message.  From what I can tell from reading the owner's manual, it is most likely from the diaphragm in the pressure switch having a mineral build up due to improper water maintenance.  Our hot tub had little use over the summer (hot Ohio summer) and we neglected to maintain it properly.  I know, I know, pretty stupid.  Anyway, some jets have also fallen out of the sockets.  We previously used Brilliance products with test strips and it seems I was constantly trying to get the right balance.  I never really got the hang of how to maintain the water properly.  I am currently at the point of having to disconnect the breaker and reconnect it in order to turn the pump on.  It will run for a while and bring the temperature back up but then quits with the "FL" message.  Would anybody have advice on the following:

1.  How to determine the correct pressure switch to order and directions to install it;
2.  What's the best way to get the jets to stay in (get rid of build up);
3.  What's the best chemicals and water tests to use.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

replacing pressure switch
« on: November 18, 2010, 09:27:33 am »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: replacing pressure switch
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 11:30:11 am »
I own a Hydropool hot tub purchased in either 2004 or 2005 and I am getting a "FL" message.  From what I can tell from reading the owner's manual, it is most likely from the diaphragm in the pressure switch having a mineral build up due to improper water maintenance.  Our hot tub had little use over the summer (hot Ohio summer) and we neglected to maintain it properly.  I know, I know, pretty stupid.  Anyway, some jets have also fallen out of the sockets.  We previously used Brilliance products with test strips and it seems I was constantly trying to get the right balance.  I never really got the hang of how to maintain the water properly.  I am currently at the point of having to disconnect the breaker and reconnect it in order to turn the pump on.  It will run for a while and bring the temperature back up but then quits with the "FL" message.  Would anybody have advice on the following:

1.  How to determine the correct pressure switch to order and directions to install it;
2.  What's the best way to get the jets to stay in (get rid of build up);
3.  What's the best chemicals and water tests to use.

Any advice would be appreciated.

1st, it might not be the pressure switch possibly a clogged filter, it would help to see a picture of the equipment area and the pressure switch, do you have a circulating pump? If so it might be a flow switch instead of a pressure switch.  If it is a pressure switch they are fairly standard and easy to replace.

2nd, you can soak the jets in vinegar or maybe CLR and clean them up, most likely will need to be replaced. They are probably waterway jets and you can find them on line from various sellers, just make sure you match up the right ones and right sizes.

3rd, Many different chems out there, I prefer chlorine with a std non chlorinated shock.  Taylor makes a great test kit available at most dealers. 

gebby

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 12:47:08 pm »
Thanks, JJ. I previously replaced the filter with a new one and it did not remedy the problem. I will attach a couple pictures soon.   

gebby

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 09:26:01 am »
Here are some pics.  Due to the file sizes I will need to post one per reply....I have four in total.  #1

gebby

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 09:26:46 am »

gebby

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 09:27:24 am »

gebby

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 09:28:09 am »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 10:20:41 am »
 If it is the pressure switch, it will be located in the control box threaded into that stainless steel tube which is your heater,its round with 2 wires coming off it.   Close the slice valves at each end of the heater unscrew the pressure switch screw the new one back in, use Teflon tape on the threads if they are plastic threads be careful not to cross thread!  Hook the wires back up, pull up the slice valves and hit the power. Hopefully that's the problem and all will be fine.

You can also jump the two wires together and see if it works before removing your pressure switch.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 10:20:41 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42