What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: please help need to decide this week  (Read 4007 times)

woodzeeewife

please help need to decide this week
« on: October 24, 2010, 03:52:17 pm »
HI everyone,
We looked at a used 2006 J480 from Jacuzzi yesterday at a dealer.  They want $9000.00 for it. It does have some minor craze lines under the control panel and on one of the corners.  Does that pose a problem long term?  Is that something that can be repaired?  I haven't wet tested it yet and it sounds like that is a must when buying used.  What do you think? ??? :-\
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 03:56:35 pm by woodzeeewife »

Hot Tub Forum

please help need to decide this week
« on: October 24, 2010, 03:52:17 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: please help need to decide this week
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 05:31:52 pm »
I think that price is high for one thing (the tub is almost 5 years old) and I would worry about the crazing. My Marquis tub (05) began to have crazing and Marquis replaced it under my warranty. I know that typically crazing occurs under the shell surface, but I have a friend whose tub ended up with large cracks that began as crazing. Hopefully some of the dealers can speak to this problem, but I find it hard to believe that a company would be willing to replace tubs if crazing was OK.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

woodzeeewife

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 05:36:34 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  The dealer said he didn't feel it was a problem.  Evidently the tub was warrantied because of this problem and the owner got a new one.  So I imagine it is tuff luck for the next person if this crack gets worse.  Should we go ahead and make a lower offer and take our chances?  Can these types of craze lines be repaired?

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 07:00:58 pm »
I know for a fact that my tub was re-sold after it was replaced. I don't know how this worked out for the new owner. I understood that crazing was purely aesthetic, but like I said, my friend's crazing turned into large cracks.

How much is this tub brand new? There are Jacuzzi dealers on here who might be able to tell you if there is a history for the particular shell color on the tub that you have looked at.

Personally, I think the price is high, you can buy a quality in-warranty tub for that..maybe not that particular tub, but another brand or type. Hot tubs tend to depreciate pretty fast.

This is just my opinion..and I sure hope others chime in soon...but
I think you have an over priced, used tub with no warranty or guarantee for an issue that you are already aware of.  For $9,000.00, nope, I wouldn't take a chance  :-\
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 06:03:50 pm »
I wouldn't pay $9000 for a 4 YO tub with problems, IMO let it go.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 06:34:09 pm »
I wouldn't pay $9000 for a 4 YO tub with problems, IMO let it go.

The 400 series are expensive when new (much better value in 300 series IMO) but $9k for a 4 year old spa is just too much. I'd say about 25-40% of original price for any well made spa is about right depending on condition and other factors (i.e., in good shape from spa owner I'd pay 25%; in very good shape from a dealer with a 60 day warranty I'd go 40%).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 06:36:36 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 06:07:03 pm »
HI everyone,
We looked at a used 2006 J480 from Jacuzzi yesterday at a dealer.  They want $9000.00 for it. It does have some minor craze lines under the control panel and on one of the corners.  Does that pose a problem long term?  Is that something that can be repaired?  I haven't wet tested it yet and it sounds like that is a must when buying used.  What do you think? ??? :-\

Used tubs are like used cars, they depreciate the SECOND you drive them off the lot.  Most 4 year old tubs sell for about 50% of what they did new.  Guess what, that 480 probably sold NEW for around the $9K level so the price they are asking is...well, INSANE!!!

Now, if the dealer is offering a warranty with it (in addition to the balance of the factory warranty) say for two years from NOW, then there is value there but even then it's probably a $6,500 tub (max).  Also, if that one DOES have fractures or other buy back issues, I think that the dealer HAS to tell you about them or they would risk fraud.  But that does not mean that they will.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

woodzeeewife

need to decide today
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 12:54:38 pm »
We let that tub go. They were not willing to negotiate. We are looking at a Caldera Niagra 2010 for 8000.00 with a cover lifter and steps. I was wondering if all hot tubs share intensity between the 2 seats on the same pump?

Hot Tub Forum

need to decide today
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 12:54:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42