What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Jacuzzi J-335 vs. HotSpring Prodigy - Any feedback for 1st time hot tub buyer?  (Read 16506 times)

carolb3

We are looking for a hot tub and have pretty much narrowed it down to these two models:

Jacuzzi J-335 (84x84x36; has a lounger)
includes:
steps
cover lifter
ozonater
$6745 + tax (2010 model)

HotSpring Prodigy (74x87x33)
includes:
steps
cover lifter
ozonater
sub panel box
$6750 + tax (2009 model)

Does anyone have an opinion on which might be a better model? Or any comments on the costs? I am wondering about the smaller height of the Prodigy -- it seems to be a bit shorter than most. Also, I've been told I might 'float' in the lounger, but my husband would not? A couple of other things to consider are that my husband has arthritis in his back so we are looking for a hot tub that will help with that; and we live in upstate NY where we have very cold winters.

The other model we are/were considering was the Saratoga Spa -- they seem to have good feedback, just a bit on the expensive side.

Thanks for any input! This is a great forum!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 04:12:08 pm by carolb3 »

Hot Tub Forum

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
 Couple of things, Jacuzzi has 2, 2.5hp pumps vs 1, 1.65 pump 120 sq ft filtration vs 90 sq ft, few other things  Jacuzzi  has a lounge prodigy not.  HS spa 110v or 220 Jacuzzi all 220, the Jacuzzi is overall deeper at 36" vs 33".
 All that being said which one do you like better?  Both are nice spa's IMO the Jacuzzi offers more bang for the buck.  One big question have you wet tested?

The price you were quoted was our price like 2/3 years ago for the J-335, Prodigy should probably be higher as well, so your doing good there!   

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member

Does anyone have an opinion on which might be a better model? Or any comments on the costs? I am wondering about the smaller height of the Prodigy -- it seems to be a bit shorter than most. Also, I've been told I might 'float' in the lounger, but my husband would not? A couple of other things to consider are that my husband has arthritis in his back so we are looking for a hot tub that will help with that; and we live in upstate NY where we have very cold winters.

Two top brands, dry and wet test them. As far as the lounge, you both might float, maybe neither will or  good chance one or the other won't. If they're trying to predict that you specifically will float and he won't its not that simple so they should leave their crystall ball at home on that prediction which is why wet testing is always key but especially important when a lounge is involved (and required if it were me and the spa had a lounge).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 02:36:54 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

wrainka

We thought we were set on the J-335 until we wet tested it and found neither of us liked the lounger - I floated and my husband didn't get the massage he was expecting. We went with the J-345 (same tub but no lounger) and really like it. We feel we also have more seating options and more space if we choose to have more than just us in the tub.

Jet Sitter

Wise move - the j-345 is an excellent tub.  You were wise to go that route instead of the j-335 in my opinion...

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
   The J-345 has some nicer features that the 335 doesn't have, and should sell for the same price.  The 3 big power pro jets in one corner and a couple of extra spinner jets in the other corner.  It also has an extra diverter control that the J-335 does not, I have been asking Jacuzzi for these features as it would probably make the J-335 a better seller, but what do I know.  ::)

Funny thing is the "cost"  of both from Jacuzzi are the same.  That was a another argument I had with a rep.  ;)

carolb3

Thanks to everyone for all the responses. Very helpful!

We definitely plan to go for the Jacuzzi -- now to decide between the 335 or the 345. Does anyone like the lounger (335)? I haven't seen any posts saying that someone liked it! My husband really wants to get it for his back, but he doesn't want to wet test if first.

Jet Sitter

carolb3 - Frankly, the people most excited about loungers are the people who have never owned a hot tub - they seem like a really great luxurious idea.  No doubt some one will chime in and post about how much they love their lounger, but there are many people who have them and then realize that they are not so great.  They reduce your seating options (good to have options even for just two of you).  Your husband can get an awesome back massage in the j-345.  Too bad he is reluctant to wet test becuase it is especially critical for loungers - the fit of each lounger really only works for a limited population and it would be a shame if your hubby was all excited about getting the lounger and then found it didn't fit.  In my opinion a wet test is essential for the 335 (or any other lounger) and although you would be safer getting the 345 without wet testing it would still be a good idea.  Just ask the dealer when you could come and have some privacy while you wet test and I am sure they will work things out for you.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
  Yes what he said!  ;)  The J-345 really does by far beat the J-335 How many people will be using the spa?   With the lounge in the 335  it wipes out the seat in the corner, unless you don't mind your husbands feet in the lap of another women or man for that matter?   :o  ;) 

eisaachsen

Just curious, but where are you that you got such a good quote on a J-335?  We just got a quote for $7999 + tax, same options, 2010 model.  We are in northern VA.

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42