What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: coast spa feedback #2  (Read 9507 times)

abarts

coast spa feedback #2
« on: October 13, 2010, 11:04:06 am »
I visited the local Coast Spa dealer and was impressed by thier expansive show room and salesman. He answered my questions and did not bash the competition. This particular dealer is one of the original people who broke off from Cal Spa and developed this tub. They will let me wet test any tub I choose. What is the general consensus on this brand? I understand the factory is in Canada and I have heard that parts and support can be schetchy. Anyone out there have one, or any tecks out there that have worked on this brand, I would appreciate any feedback. I have narrowed down my choices to J-365, Vanguard, Coast, and I wanted to try a Marqui, but the local dealer did not impress me and I could only wet test one model (the 110v version). One thing the Coast salesman did say was that the Hot Springs tubs that they have took in as used tubs to re-sell all needed to have the roto-massage units replaced and that that brand was difficult to work on. The more I look, the more confusing it gets. Help!

Hot Tub Forum

coast spa feedback #2
« on: October 13, 2010, 11:04:06 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: coast spa feedback #2
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 11:15:53 am »
I visited the local Coast Spa dealer and was impressed by thier expansive show room and salesman. He answered my questions and did not bash the competition. This particular dealer is one of the original people who broke off from Cal Spa and developed this tub. They will let me wet test any tub I choose. What is the general consensus on this brand? I understand the factory is in Canada and I have heard that parts and support can be schetchy. Anyone out there have one, or any tecks out there that have worked on this brand, I would appreciate any feedback. I have narrowed down my choices to J-365, Vanguard, Coast, and I wanted to try a Marqui, but the local dealer did not impress me and I could only wet test one model (the 110v version). One thing the Coast salesman did say was that the Hot Springs tubs that they have took in as used tubs to re-sell all needed to have the roto-massage units replaced and that that brand was difficult to work on. The more I look, the more confusing it gets. Help!

If you're impressed with the dealer thats a key ingredient though I'd personally lean more toward the Jacuzzi and Hot Spring.  For what its worth, a moto massage jet replacement takes all of about 5 minutes to replace from inside the spa and can be done by any spa owner so while he may not have been outright bashing he's maybe coloring things a certain way but theres always a bit of salesmanship wherever you go so try all 3 and see what you like.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 09:08:49 pm »
I would agree with spatech on this one , our tech used to work for the Hot Spring dealer in our area, not hard to change out, did the salesman tell you  if they were older units or newer ones. Again i would lean toward the Hot Springs or Jacuzzi, but it is you that is purchasing the spa you have to be comfortable with the dealer which is sounds like you are. so you are halfway there, Buy what you like and feels good..I know they talk about there patented cyclonic filtration system. that is just a fancy sales tool, if you think about this, when you flush your toilet or turn on your sink how does the water move, it already creates a cyclonic action, nothing fancy needed.most shells use fiberglass backing on the shells . so you have to really check out what a salesman is telling you,,,otherwise i think it is a decent tub, but i think there are others out there i would go with first, D1, Hot Springs, Jacuzzi, Sundance, Marquis, Clearwater.. to name a few.....
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

Vanguard

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 11:40:12 pm »
Just curious on something.  You've been looking for a long time.  Have you stopped looking for awhile and are now back to looking?  The reason I ask, is many people start getting "Analysis Paralysis" when they keep looking and looking.

I've been in some Coast showrooms.  While the spas may look impressive on the surface, I don't think their quality is that great.  I remember looking at one that had a retractable TV.  The retract feature was broken, the screws on the TV were rusted.  This one was in the showroom and was already having issues. 

One thing that drives me crazy with mfgs like Coast is they play the hp game.  Really?  A 7hp motor?  BS.  If they BS that, what else do they BS?  And your salesman did bash Hot Spring.  He just was subtle in doing it.  Either he doesn't know how easy they are to repair or he was lying.

I agree with the others.  Stick to Hot Spring or Jacuzzi. 
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

castletonia

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 11:49:33 pm »
I consider Coast to make a good spa.  For selling them the last two years, I have been impressed with the product.  In my dealings support has been good.  Parts can take a bit longer to get since they have to cross the border but I don't consider the lead time on parts orders to be much longer than any other company I have ever dealt with.  

All three brands you are looking at are quality products in my opinion.  Hot Springs and Jacuzzi are more well known and have very good reputations.  If the service tech is qualified, then none of the three should be any more or less difficult to work on.  Since the moto massage is a moving jet the likelihood that is will break as it ages is greater than a regular jet but I would not factor that into my decision.  

Wet test the models you are interested in and pick the tub that fits you the best.  Dealer trust is also important because it is inevitable that you will need service or support at some point and that is an area you never want to overlook.  

abarts

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 08:55:00 am »
Yes , I have been looking for a while and after reading these last posts, I will still be either Jacuzzi or Hot Springs, and like I said befor I would try a Marqui, but the dealer here is poor. One other question I would like some input on is the plus and minus behind a full time recirc pump vs cycling main pump. Is it true recirc pumps go about two to three years and can cost almost as much as a regular pump. Which method keeps the water cleaner? And what is more efficient?

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 12:11:18 pm »
abarts,
 I sell both styles 24/7 circ pump and the main pump as filtration, i like the circ pump system better, it costs less than an 100 watt light bulb , water not stagnate, it heats with the circ pump and injects ozone 24/7. i do not see the replacement of circ pumps in 3-4 years, they are not that expensive, roughly 350.00. but during the 5 year warranty on our spas it would be covered during that period, also will not hear the spa main pump run in the middle of the night, especially on a deck or below a bedroom. on the main pump as the filtration pump, the main pump will kick on low for 2 hours every 12 hours, which you can change to run longer, it does move a ton of water in the 2 hour period, and adding ozone, but then sits idle for 12 hours unless it call for heat. also if you want to sit in the spa in the winter and want no jets running a circ pump still runs and heats, the only way to do it on a main pump filter system is to lower the temp then it will not kick on , but the problem with that is that if you lower the set point, people forget to reset to heat to the proper temp they want......hope this helps....

abarts

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 05:08:26 pm »
Thanks spa guy, that info is helpful. Re-circ pump sounds like the way to go for me.

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 12:25:26 pm »
abarts,
no problem any help i can give i'm glad to give....

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 01:57:09 pm »

I've been in some Coast showrooms.  While the spas may look impressive on the surface,  

They do make some great looking tubs.  

But then again, they did build this (I hang on to this one, 6 years later it still makes me laugh)
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 09:08:48 pm »
wmccall,
nice pic, i like the picture. nice 2 person overpriced hot tub.....

footie

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 10:32:02 am »
My brother in law owns a Hot Springs Envoy, great tub and the reason why I took the decision to get a tub myself, at the time it was a straight choice between the Hot Spring and the Coast, I wet tested the Grandee and a Radiance but on the return to the Coast dealer he showed be the new in stock Cascade Niagara, that was it, the decision made and 8 weeks later I got my Coast Cascade Niagara 45 which is a full 6-7 seater tub.

I have to agree that on the 2 seater it was a plain stupid concept but on mine it's ingenious because regardless of the number of people entering or leaving the tub the water level stays constant. So far I am 3 month into ownership and zero problems, no jets falling off, no pumps breaking down and everything working as it should. In other words it's been a great spas to me and the family.

P.S.
Thank goodness that the production model doesn't come with that ugly fibreglass front panel advertising Coast Spas.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 12:31:10 pm by footie »

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 02:19:02 pm »
footie,
 glad to hear it is working out for you, i still stick to my opinion on that spa, just does not make since to me for the price, but to each his own, I would hope you would not have any jets falling out or pump problems, it should not just happen on Coast or most other brands, But keep us updated on your spa,i am glad they do not have the ugly front panel, keep enjoying your tub....

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 02:25:21 pm »

I have to agree that on the 2 seater it was a plain stupid concept but on mine it's ingenious because regardless of the number of people entering or leaving the tub the water level stays constant. So far I am 3 month into ownership and zero problems, no jets falling off, no pumps breaking down and everything working as it should.

Water level changing when somebody got in or out has never been a big problem for me, or I've never heard  a lot of people mention it on their gripe list.   That said, I won't bad mouth Coast at all. I have one friend that has his for 9 years now.  The biggest dealer in my area, who is well regarded, carries Hot Springs and Coast spas.  They have supported both to the satisfaction of their customers.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

footie

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 02:53:57 pm »
Water level changing when somebody got in or out has never been a big problem for me, or I've never heard  a lot of people mention it on their gripe list.   That said, I won't bad mouth Coast at all. I have one friend that has his for 9 years now.  The biggest dealer in my area, who is well regarded, carries Hot Springs and Coast spas.  They have supported both to the satisfaction of their customers.

I always found in the brother tub that when I got in on my own the water hit my chest which was about right for me, but when he and a mate got in the water level increased by a full 2" or so putting it a bit high for my liking. It would have definitely have been to high for my kids. I just find my Coast system keeps this spot on for all of us regardless of size.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 04:16:08 pm by footie »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 02:53:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42