What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: advice on buying used hot tub - Jacuzzi vs. Sun Belt  (Read 10396 times)

smartin737

advice on buying used hot tub - Jacuzzi vs. Sun Belt
« on: September 19, 2010, 09:59:47 pm »
I had asked for some guidance a month or so ago about buying a decent quality 1-3 year old used hot tub and got some great advice on this board!  I have been keeping an eye out on Craigslist waiting for some reasonable candidates to pop up (ignoring the plethora of 10 year old Morgan spas!) and here is what I am looking at right now (I copied and pasted from the ads, so my apologies if something doesn't make sense):

J-230 Jacuzzi Brand L.E.D Lights, CD player Less than one year old.  Paid $8000 asking $4500

Sun Belt Santa Barbara I - Spa Series: Superior (bought new in April 2009) Paid $6500 asking $3800

Assuming both are in working order, they both "feel" fine, etc., etc., which one would most likely be my better bet based on what you guys know about them?  What would be a reasonable offer on my part?  I know that you can only take what they say they paid with a grain of salt and they are probably asking for more than what they expect to get, but I don't want to be rude either.  :)

Thanks in advance for the help - now that the weather is at least thinking about cooling down (not yet, but hope springs eternal) here in Houston I'm ready to have my own hot tub!

Sandy

Hot Tub Forum

advice on buying used hot tub - Jacuzzi vs. Sun Belt
« on: September 19, 2010, 09:59:47 pm »

smartin737

Re: advice on buying used hot tub - Jacuzzi vs. Sun Belt
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 10:12:17 pm »
Hmmm....I can't seem to find the Santa Barbara on the Sunbelt webpage - could it have been renamed something else?

Sandy

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 01:11:21 pm »
There is a HUGE difference between a Jacuzzi and a Sunbelt but your #'s throw things off.  I've never heard of a "J-230" so I have concerns that it may be some small 2-person tub and if so then both their retail and asking prices are WAY over priced.  But if that is a J-330 then it may make a bit of sense but you should be able to buy one of those for $2,500 used (3-4 years old)

The Sunbelt you can buy a NEW for $4,500.  They are basically a "build-it-yourself" kind of model.  You pick out the shell, then add the jets, then the pumps, etc.  They are supposedly thermo-pane design but if you look inside the cabinet you will not see ANY insulation in there so they are NOT a good fit if you live north of the Mason-Dixon line.  Used, not a single one is worth more than $1,500 IMHO.  They have absolutely NO ISO certification and very little testing before being delivered.  A number of people around here had them and had a LOT of leaks when they received them so had to have their dealer back out a number of times to fix.  The one your looking at may not have any leaks now but as soon as you move it, it WILL leak.  If this is not a NEW unit coming DIRECTLY from a dealer at that price (with some type of warranty), I would avoid it at all costs and may even avoid it if it is coming from a dealer.

Jacuzzi = Quality like Lexus
SunBELT = Kia status...maybe
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 04:18:16 pm by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

smartin737

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 03:36:46 pm »
Thank you so much for the advice - I think I was mixing up the Sunbelt with the Sundance, which I know is a higher quality (newbie mistake I suppose).  I found the J-230 ( http://www.jacuzzihottubs.com/j-200/j-230.html ) on Jacuzzi's website - it is a 5 person tub, which is OK by me on the size as it'll mostly be me and the hubby.  I know their quality is good but one concern is that it only has one pump and I've heard that two is better?  Thoughts on that?

Thanks again for your time!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 04:21:53 pm »
Thank you so much for the advice - I think I was mixing up the Sunbelt with the Sundance, which I know is a higher quality (newbie mistake I suppose).  I found the J-230 ( http://www.jacuzzihottubs.com/j-200/j-230.html ) on Jacuzzi's website - it is a 5 person tub, which is OK by me on the size as it'll mostly be me and the hubby.  I know their quality is good but one concern is that it only has one pump and I've heard that two is better?  Thoughts on that?

Everyone is going to tell you the Jacuzzi is a higher quality spa but having said that, are they willing to show you an invoice for that J-230?

Is the stereo still working (stereos on spas are not a good idea and don't hold up well)?

If they truly paid that much then their price sounds about right since generally speaking, a spa loses about 40-50% of its value the first year (since it loses that "new" tag just like a car that driven off the car lot and also because spa warranties are not transferable).

If its less than 1 year old I'd offer them 50% of whatever invoice price they can show you, assuming all is working well. That's not being rude, that's making a business transaction and if they pass its because they know you'll see they were fibbing about the price but if that original price quoted was honest they'll take your offer. The dealer will have a copy if they say they don't.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Vanguard

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 10:12:19 pm »
Run away from Sunbelt.  Low quality, high energy costs, etc.  Just my humble opinion.  I've been around them for years and years since they are made in my backyard.  A good friend of mine is kept in business in Houston repairing Sunbelt spas.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

ndabunka

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 11:44:05 pm »
Thank you so much for the advice - I think I was mixing up the Sunbelt with the Sundance, which I know is a higher quality (newbie mistake I suppose).  I found the J-230 ( http://www.jacuzzihottubs.com/j-200/j-230.html ) on Jacuzzi's website - it is a 5 person tub, which is OK by me on the size as it'll mostly be me and the hubby.  I know their quality is good but one concern is that it only has one pump and I've heard that two is better?  Thoughts on that?

Ah, the 200-series.  Sorry, I forgot Jacuzzi added that line to meet a lower price point.  I'd agree with Spatech that they probably over-paid if they actually paid that much for it.  One pump may work for you if you don't need a lot of water pressure.  You pretty much need to feel one running full of water to make that decision though.  You can try turning jets on and off to get higher pressures but that's a bit of a pain that most really don't want to bother with on a hot tub.  If the other is a Sundance, it would not go by the name you listed so it is most likely a sunbelt that would not be worth the $'s they are asking for it.  If you do see a used Sundance and it is newer than 6 years old, it's made by Jacuzzi as well so same quality there.

RUBADUBDUB

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 10:01:20 am »
The J230 is a nice little entry level tub from Jacuzzi. The $8000 dollar price tag seems a little steep new as that's what our dealer sells them for loaded in CANUCK BUCKS! 

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 11:54:13 am »

Sundance = Kia status...maybe

O?   ;D

ndabunka

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 04:19:11 pm »

Sundance = Kia status...maybe

O?   ;D

That was edited by mistake.  Should have remained "sunbelt=Kia...maybe not even that...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 04:19:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42