What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tried the dryer sheet thing...  (Read 11936 times)

Catfish

Re: Tried the dryer sheet thing...
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2005, 10:24:53 pm »
The rinsing the filter thing is something we will do from now on. We are newbies, only had the tub for a month, so I guess some things are going to be trial and error and some things are things that are dealer didn't tell us during our "lesson" .

I'm glad that there are solutions though because I was thinking it would really be a drag if  the foam thing was a constant battle. I didn't think it was possible to have that much foam from one swimsuit.

Thanks all for this invaluable resource.. I love the internet, I don't know how I ever made a decision or got any answers before about 1993. It seems like the dark ages. We're planning a trip to Europe and are able to see every hotel room and restaurant and street corner in order to not make a misstep-last time I went was 20 years ago and I don't know how I did it. We're trying to be spontaneous but it's hard with so much info available..sorry, back to hot-tubs..

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2005, 10:24:53 pm »

Catfish

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2005, 09:21:29 am »
Ok so, after sittin in the tub last night with 8" of foam again (because we didn't rinse our filters after cleaning) Do we need to dump and refill now in order to clear it up? or can we get one of the products mentioned above?

Won't do that again!

Soakin

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2005, 11:36:00 am »
We have found that by using... Sea Klear... allowing you  to rinse your filters with a high pressure nozzle... every 2 to 3 weeks... the filters rinse amazingly clean and allows you to cut over night soaking down to every 6 months
I have been using SeaKlear for the past 6 months and can back up Mendo.  It works amazingly well!  I haven't changed/soaked filters (or the water for that matter) in 5 months and everything is still sparkling clean.  (One caveat: we only use the tub 2-3 times/week in the summer).  We alternate SeaKlear with a stain and scale product weekly and also use it to get foam/scum out after "bad guests".  I just rinse the filters off after application and an hour of filtering, and they look like new.  It is cool stuff! 8)

spazman

• Soaking in my "modified" '98 Sundance Corum!
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2005, 02:37:14 pm »
Foaming water will not disappear it can be masked by "foam down" or other similar products. The best way to treat the problem is drain the water and start over. The water was probably near the end of its lifespan if TDS are involved. Spa Perfect works but keep in mind it's an enzyme, that is alive if you add it to an overmedicated tub it will die. Dead enzymes are not productive.
I live by the old spa water credo ------ "When in doubt, throw it out!"

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2005, 04:03:59 pm »
When you tried the dryer sheet , did all your things come out SOFTER?????

Ehizzle

• "We're not here to talk nonsense to Bob Lablaw"
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2005, 05:07:56 pm »
I don't really post here much but no one seamed to mention this.  I have found that low calcium hardness will cause foaming too.  Have you ever checked that?  Do you use a water softner on your water?

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2005, 10:31:48 pm »
SOunds like your a new hot tubber. That also probably means that your water is not yet in balance. This is pretty common for many first timers and often does not have that much to do with "detergent" issues. Rather, you should make certain that your water is in balcance. Raise the calcium levels will probably help (as others have stated) but take your water to your delaer. Let them tell you what is right (or wrong) with it.  If you've only had the spa for a month, the water probably does not need to be "thrown out".  Test, re-test, then test again...
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Constance

• I love my Bahia
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2005, 05:09:24 pm »
What's the "dryer sheet thing"?  do you place a new or used dryer sheet in the water to decrease the foam?
I too didn't get my filter rinsed enough the first time I cleaned it.  I only use about 1/2 of the recommended amout of cleaner now and still it is a challenge to get all the soap washed out.
I used an anti-form from Spa Gard and it took care of the problem.  I diluted it in a spray bottle and sprayed it as needed.  Also I used an enzyme from Spa Gard.
;D

Haynes

• 2005 Down East Cape Cod/ Monongahela, PA
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2005, 05:15:09 pm »
I still have foam dispite  using the dryer sheet, although I still am using it.  

Constance

• I love my Bahia
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2005, 05:35:53 pm »
What do you do with the dryer sheet?
Is it a new sheet of one that ran thru a dryer cycle?
Connie

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2005, 03:53:58 am »
You need a water change. I have told my customers for two decades that a water change after the first month cures many ills.

Water is by far the cheapest chemical you can add to a tub, so shut off the power, drain and refill. From then on, once every three or four months is fine - but definitely only one month on a new spa.

Lots of reasons this is true, but I'm too tired to type 'em all.

Give it a shot, I'm sure you'll like the look and feel of the new water. And stop this 'bathing suit' nonsense.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

yeshadette21

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 03:34:01 am »
I also find it a useful anaology to compare a defoamer to an ant-acid.

Defoamer deals with the symptom not the cause.

If I have constant heart burn, taking an ant-acid helps me deal with the symptom. I made need a perscription or change my lifestyle to prevent the symptom from re-occurring.

Foaming is caused by:
1)detergents/soaps (from suits, hair, body) body oils,  deoderant, moisturizers, suntanning lotions, self tanning lotions (results in yellow, orange or brown foam), cosmetics. You stop this by minimizing the amount of these things that get in your water.
2)water balance - you can adjust this easily
3)dirty filters - clean/rinse regularly
4)inadequate filtration - increase your filter cycles
5)TDS - as the water gets older it foams more

So while a dryer sheet may deal with the symptom, it will not cure consistent foaming

This is very great suggestions. We can stop this by minimizing the amount of sun tanning lotions, self tanning lotions and other moisturizers that get in your water. Thanks for this beautiful suggestions.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 10:12:42 am »
Thank you for the spam
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 10:12:42 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42