What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Thinking of purchasing a used 2006 Sundance Optima, need advice  (Read 14911 times)

Bogie

Thinking of purchasing a used 2006 Sundance Optima, need advice
« on: September 15, 2010, 06:14:00 pm »
Hello All,
I've been researching spas for a couple of months now and have wet-tested quite a few. It has come down to a couple of choices for me, the Caldera Niagra and the Sundance Optima. I'm leaning more towards the Optima because I love the foot jets and they help keep me in place 'cause I'm short. The Sundance dealer has a used 2006 Optima in very good shape that came back because of some "crazing", I believe he called it, on the shell (small lines). The other service call on this spa was to replace the waterfall knob. They're asking 6K and a 60-day full warranty for the used spa. Any advice on this? Has anyone bought a used tub without any regrets? Should I shell out the big bucks for a new one to get the full warranty? Any help is appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

Thinking of purchasing a used 2006 Sundance Optima, need advice
« on: September 15, 2010, 06:14:00 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Thinking of purchasing a used 2006 Sundance Optima, need advice
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 06:51:09 pm »
Hello All,
I've been researching spas for a couple of months now and have wet-tested quite a few. It has come down to a couple of choices for me, the Caldera Niagra and the Sundance Optima. I'm leaning more towards the Optima because I love the foot jets and they help keep me in place 'cause I'm short. The Sundance dealer has a used 2006 Optima in very good shape that came back because of some "crazing", I believe he called it, on the shell (small lines). The other service call on this spa was to replace the waterfall knob. They're asking 6K and a 60-day full warranty for the used spa. Any advice on this? Has anyone bought a used tub without any regrets? Should I shell out the big bucks for a new one to get the full warranty? Any help is appreciated.

The crazing is cosmetic so that's not an issue. Assuming thats about a $10k spa when new, if 4 years old and in good shape I'd guesstimate about $3.5 to 4k is about right from a spa owner. Being this is from a dealer who can test it, fix any issues and give you some security with a 60 day warranty its certainly worth more but I think they're a bit high still but they may be asking for $6k hoping to get $5k which is what I'd counter with (and I'd let slip that the Niagara is out there which I like and that I am considering it as well).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 12:22:31 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Bogie

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 07:44:45 pm »
Thanks for your reply Spatech. The dealer will not fill the tub to check if everything is ok; they tell me it's too expensive to do that.  So I really have to think about that. I still haven't ruled out buying new. His best price, new is $9200 (no frills version) but it does include the cover, cover lift, delivery and chems for first 3 months.

HOWEVER, they don't have the Optima filled in order to wet-test; they only have the Cameo, which I did try but personally don't want the lounger. For some odd reason the Cameo is the best seller in So. California but nationwide, it's the Optima. So guess what? they don't have the Optima filled. I called a couple of other Sundance dealers around my area and they don't have the Optima filled either! I find it hard to drop that kind of cash without trying it. One dealer at least had the Chelsee filled, so might try that one. Jeez, who knew hot tub shopping would be this difficult.

dark rider

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 11:54:25 am »
I would definitely pass at that price, especially if he is not willing to fill the tub and give it a thorough gowing over.  How can he assure all the jets are functioning properly and that the tub doesn't have leaks?  That's no different than private sale, so why should he be charging you a premium just because he is a dealer?  $9200 for a new Optima is a good price (make sure the lifter is a Covermate III versus the I), if you are considering buying new.
I looked at an '04 used Optima that was fully refurbished (new jets, pillows and ozonator) with a one year dealer warranty, and my dealer's price was $5K.  There were a fair amount of changes in '06, so I told him I wanted an '06 or newer, but it was a very nice tub, and probably worth close to what he was asking.  In the end, I purchased new and ended up going with a HotSpring Grandee over the Optima, but they were neck in neck.  The Optima is a great tub and one of the best values out there.  The one thing I'll miss on it is the wonderful foot dome.  Make sure you wet test whatever you buy!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 12:27:41 pm »
I'm not one to think that every dealer should be expected to fill any tub anyone wants to wet test (as some feel should be the case) but I'm surprised they won't fill an Optima for you. Its a $9k purchase and a very common one to have wet. Go ahead and wet test the Niagara and let the Sundance dealer know you'll be deciding based on the wet test of the Niagara and the dry test of the Optima. Hopefully you don't get a snooty repsonse like their spa is better anyway and a wet test isn't necessary. Those are two good spas and you can't go wrong either way but it would be nice to compare wet tests.

Bogie

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 07:04:34 am »
Thank you both for your input.  I have some big decisions to make. I have wet-tested the Caldera Niagra and like it; in fact I prefer it over their Hot Springs models I tested. 

It's a little whacky that none of my local Sundance dealers have the Optima available to wet-test. One of the dealers has the Chelsee for wet-testing and mentioned that if I like that model then I would probably like the Optima...we'll see about that (love that foot dome!).  I too think that it might not be economially feasible for dealers to have all tubs available to wet-test but you would think that the nation-wide best seller would be one of them. Thanks again for your input.

Hottubber1

• hottubbing under the stars...
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 10:34:09 am »
Bogie,

It is a rare occasion that a Sundance dealer wouldn't have the best selling model in their line filled.
As a longterm Sundance dealer, I wouldn't be caught without an Optima with stereo in operation on my showroom floors.
It truly is one of the best spas ever built. The dealer should be more accommodating to you. I cannot understand why the dealer won't make arrangements to fill it so you can actually make a buying decision by wet testing. We flip showrooms upside down to do wet tests, especially in this economy.
Something doesn't make sense... ???

Hottubber1 8)

Bogie

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 12:00:03 am »
Hottubber1, thanks for your input. Wish you were nearby so I could visit your showroom to test the Optima  :) You would also get my business.

I too think the best selling Sundance model should be available for wet-test. The Hot Springs/Caldera dealer is bending over backwards to fill any tub that I want to wet-test and I would think that one of the 3 Sundance dealers around me would want to do the same...no such luck. I don't want to make a final decision without wet-testing the Optima. I guess I'm just going to have to tell all 3 dealers that I will make my decision when someone can have the Optima available to test. We'll see which of the 3 dealers bends.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 11:09:31 am »
Hottubber1, thanks for your input. Wish you were nearby so I could visit your showroom to test the Optima  :) You would also get my business.

I too think the best selling Sundance model should be available for wet-test. The Hot Springs/Caldera dealer is bending over backwards to fill any tub that I want to wet-test and I would think that one of the 3 Sundance dealers around me would want to do the same...no such luck. I don't want to make a final decision without wet-testing the Optima. I guess I'm just going to have to tell all 3 dealers that I will make my decision when someone can have the Optima available to test. We'll see which of the 3 dealers bends.

I'd probably tell them the day I'm wet testing the competition and tell them if they have the Optima wet and ready I'd stop there as well that day (always best to wet test multiple spas on the same day) but otherwise I don't plan on purchasing based on a dry test.

Knowing you are serious and even more so, knowing that they're competeing against the HotSprings/Caldera (I'd imagine their main competition) I gotta believe one or more of them will take a step up and show both their customer service side as well as a desire to make a sale.

Hottubber1

• hottubbing under the stars...
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 09:45:02 am »
Bogie,

Maybe the Sundance dealer is content with sales the way they are. Is there another Sundance dealer within driving distance?

I've got 2 Optima spas on the floor, one filled to wet test in Platinum w/gray & stereo and one in Platinum w/mahogany, dry for the prospects that just want to feel the lumbar support in the seating without getting wet. They look great either way. :o

It is too bad you're not closeby.

Hottubber1 8)

Bogie

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 05:49:44 pm »
Hello all, I wanted to post a follow-up and let you know that I decided on the 2010 Sundance Optima...I just love the foot jets! 

I purchased it yesterday from a dealer about 20 miles away, cost was $8749 (not incl. tax); no stereo but price includes a pre-site inspection, cover with the cover valet, delivery, set-up and 6 months of chem's (declined the steps so they threw in some more chem's) & choice of colors.  I also liked that they have been in business for over 30+ years and was able to meet and negotiate with the owner (on a Sunday, mind you).

The previous Sundance dealer I went to wouldn't go below $9200 and I was limited to 3 color options and no site-inspection, so I felt they this was pretty good. 

By the way, does anyone have any opinions about the cover valet? I liked it because of the hydraulics but now am thinking that it might obscure my view. It does kind of sit high. Your input will be helpful.

Thanks, Bogie

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 05:54:04 pm »
 8749.00 for an Optima is a ridiculously  low price!!  Nice going, curious where you live?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 06:06:54 pm by Jacuzzi Jim »

Bogie

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 06:17:27 pm »
I live in So. California.  I had shopped around for months and once it came down to a couple of choices, I started negotiating. I was honest with the dealers; I am a small business owner myself and appreciate when people are honest with me.  The dealer I bought from started closer to $9K but I was able to negotiate to $8749. I'm glad to know I got a good price.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 07:17:59 am »
Congratulations, that does sound like a good deal on a good tub.  I hope you follow up and let us know how it goes. When is delivery?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 11:00:41 am »
8749.00 for an Optima is a ridiculously  low price!!  

Yes indeed, that is a pretty good deal on an Optima. Congrats, stick around and let us know how it goes.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 11:00:41 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42