What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: help! is this a good price for Niagra or Cantabria?  (Read 8196 times)

buymybook

help! is this a good price for Niagra or Cantabria?
« on: September 04, 2010, 11:06:01 pm »
ok, we did our wet test today, and we were quoted a price of
11k out the door for the Niagra, including steps and coverlifter, tax, delivery and setup. they'd have to order it in for us.

the cantabria they have in stock, and otd price is 12,500, including the above.

I am horrible about negotiating, and I obviously realize they need to make a profit, but I just don't want to get ripped off. Any opinions as to whether this is a good price, or what figure I should come back to them with?

Thanks for your help.

Hot Tub Forum

help! is this a good price for Niagra or Cantabria?
« on: September 04, 2010, 11:06:01 pm »

Vanguard

Re: help! is this a good price for Niagra or Cantabria?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 12:24:25 am »
I'd make a counter offer on both.  I think you can probably get them down somewhere between $500 and $1,000 on either. 

Don't just accept their price.  You do need to ask for a better price.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

autoplay

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 07:31:19 am »
Does it also include the GFCI subpanel?     

I haven't followed prices in eons,or at least since I bought my spa in 03,so couldn't tell ya if that sounds reasonable or not.

I can tell you,I own a 2003 Caldera Geneva Utopia,and have been throughly satisfied with my spa,and purchasing decision.
Great customer support,during and after the purchase!

Lastly,like Vanny mentioned,I'm sure there's room to move on the price,esp if that was the first price quoted to ya.

autoplay

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 07:39:38 am »
Oh,forgot to mention,when I was in Hot-springs here in Sarasota several months ago,I did look at the Niagra they had on the showroom floor,and if I recall,the price was 9995.00.  That's here in Sarasota FL,so your price could be higher or lower,dependant upon your location.  If I was to purchase that spa here in Sarasota,I would expect 750-1000 off of the listed price.   

Price is a concern of mine,along with comfort of the dealer  I.E.  length of time in business,warranty,customer support etc etc.   In simple terms,paying a little up front now,could save you alot,down the road.  My dealer is still in business,which is re-assuring!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 01:48:27 am »
ok, we did our wet test today, and we were quoted a price of
11k out the door for the Niagra, including steps and coverlifter, tax, delivery and setup. they'd have to order it in for us.

the cantabria they have in stock, and otd price is 12,500, including the above.

OTD with steps, lifter and including tax sounds like a decent price on either (delivery and setup are standard) BUT that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to do better. As suggested, offer $1k less on whichever of those you truly want (or both). They'll either say "no", "yes" or they'll counter but they won't raise the price so why not try.

Besides, if they do say "no" then you'll feel better about the price they're giving knowing they held firm but I bet they'll at least counter.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

buymybook

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 11:05:49 pm »
thanks everyone for their input so far. I called and made an offer on the Cantebria at 11500 cash. They told me they're margin is already quite low when they offered it at 12500, but said they'd knock off $300 for the cash offer.They've got the thing sitting in their showroom without any water in it, and I'm betting its going to sit there for months. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, I'm thinking 12,200 is just too high. Maybe its time for me to wet test a Sundance or something else. Boy this was disappointing!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 07:44:28 am »
Maybe its time for me to wet test a Sundance or something else. Boy this was disappointing!

And then come back at the Niagara with the Sundance brochure in hand.  Let them know your interested, but have options.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 11:16:38 am »
thanks everyone for their input so far. I called and made an offer on the Cantebria at 11500 cash. They told me they're margin is already quite low when they offered it at 12500, but said they'd knock off $300 for the cash offer.They've got the thing sitting in their showroom without any water in it, and I'm betting its going to sit there for months. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, I'm thinking 12,200 is just too high. Maybe its time for me to wet test a Sundance or something else. Boy this was disappointing!

Why are you so dissapointed? You found out that the price they were giving was basically their rock bottom price. Thats a very big spa and actually that seems like a very good price for that spa with those options and tax added (subtract the options and tax and that seems like about $11k for the spa itself and which seems good to me for a premium spa that size).

Do you really need/want a spa that big? Look around and see what your options are, at a minimum that will give you some more perspective. The Sundance Maxxus is similarly sized so have them price it with those same options and that should help you see where you are.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 11:22:55 am by Spatech_tuo »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 11:56:16 am »

Why are you so dissapointed? You found out that the price they were giving was basically their rock bottom price.

If you believe that just because he said so fine. Realistically maybe it is, I haven't priced spas in years. 
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 12:36:32 pm »

Why are you so dissapointed? You found out that the price they were giving was basically their rock bottom price.

If you believe that just because he said so fine. Realistically maybe it is, I haven't priced spas in years. 

Good point, I didn't mean to say just because they said "X" is our lowest price that it therefore was a good price. I based that on their response AND knowing in general what that type/size spa sells for.

buymybook

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 02:52:28 pm »
I was disappointed  because I thought they'd come down 500-1000 as suggested they may on an earlier threat.
I want to give them my business because they treated my family so well--and I really like the tub--we did a wet test with a 4 y/o, 3 y/o and 20 month old, along w/my wife and I. They got them popcicles, drove to a store to pick up some bags of ice to cool down some of the tubs(my wife is pregnant), and even got the kids robes to wear going between tubs(it was a little chilly that night). They've been in business for yrs and are family owned. I'd like to patronize them over a big box chain store

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 03:02:53 pm »
I was disappointed  because I thought they'd come down 500-1000 as suggested they may on an earlier threat.
I want to give them my business because they treated my family so well--and I really like the tub--we did a wet test with a 4 y/o, 3 y/o and 20 month old, along w/my wife and I. They got them popcicles, drove to a store to pick up some bags of ice to cool down some of the tubs(my wife is pregnant), and even got the kids robes to wear going between tubs(it was a little chilly that night). They've been in business for yrs and are family owned. I'd like to patronize them over a big box chain store

If they had originally quoted you $13.5k and then dropped it by $1300 would that have made you feel better about the final price? Maybe they just gave you a good price at $12.5k the first time around so they weren't able to come more than $300.

Some dealers start high and allow for negotiation which can make the customer feel good about the "discount" they got. Others start with a very fair price for all and pretty much hold the line.

I don’t sell them so I can't say exactly what your case is but I think you may have gotten the latter situation and in that case it may not be reasonable to expect them to come down $1000 (though you always should give it a shot as you did).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 04:16:26 pm by Spatech_tuo »

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 03:07:55 pm »
I was disappointed  because I thought they'd come down 500-1000 as suggested they may on an earlier threat.

:o :o :o

Just kidding, I'm sure you meant thread.

We will always advise you to try and negotiate for the best price but sometimes in some stores they set the price at what they have to sell for and there is little to no room to negotiate. That doesn't mean you're not getting a good deal. Think of it as saving time and energy because you don't have to try and find their bottom price, you already have it.

Sounds like they did everything to make your wet test as enjoyable as possible. If you like the spa, you like the dealer, you've got their bottom price and it's within budget then I say jump on it.  :)
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

buymybook

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 03:10:48 pm »
spatech,
thank you for your comments. I believe you may be right that they offered their best price upfront. anyway, i went to bed thinking I was going to not buy it, tossed and turned for 3 hrs, and woke up telling my wife lets get it. we'll just finance the whole amount.
we want a big tub because of the size of our growing family.

buymybook

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 03:12:57 pm »
 :o  oh no! I didnt mean threat! i meant thread-see what little sleep does worrying about this purchase!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 03:12:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42