What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Replacement cover "upgrades" -- worth the money?  (Read 17317 times)

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
Replacement cover "upgrades" -- worth the money?
« on: September 02, 2010, 05:53:31 pm »
Just ordered a replacement cover for my Sundance Optima.  I opted for pretty much all the bells and whistles -- 2# foam, full length hinge seal, reflective energy shield, and double-wrapped (12mm) cores.  My questions are:

1)  Do these options truly make a difference in the insulating capability of the cover?

2)  How do quality aftermarket covers compare to a factory Sundance cover?  The price for the aftermarket cover was essentially the same as the cover from my dealer, but will I get a "better" cover because of the upgrades?
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

Hot Tub Forum

Replacement cover "upgrades" -- worth the money?
« on: September 02, 2010, 05:53:31 pm »

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
Re: Replacement cover "upgrades" -- worth the money?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 05:58:45 pm »
 ??? Well, without knowing the specs on your factory cover it's hard to say.

One thing I will say though, when it's time to replace my cover I'm pretty sure I will go with an aftermarket cover mainly to have the double wrapped cores and full hinge seal. It just seams to me that the double wrapped cores will help stop water being absorbed into the cover causing it to need to be replaced as soon.  ;)
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 07:05:15 pm »
factory Sundance cover? I'm still trying to figure out what people mean by this, or are thinking. Are you thinking Sundance MAKES THEIR OWN covers??? Not! They use one of the three or four largest cover manufactures in the US to supply them. The covers are made specifically to their specifications (well, not really, I've seen the spec sheet from Sundance/Jacuzzi, and the covers aren't quite up to the specs) and they're neither better nor worse than any cover wiht the SAME specs.

There are "aftermarket" cover with higher specs, and "aftermarket covers" with lower specs.

As for the insulating ability of the new vs the "factory" cover, it depends on the ACTUAL thickness of the foam. Both covers could be called 4" thick, but there could be a difference of 1/2"...in the real world.

The options you got are far more relevant to extending the life of the cover.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

sonnyo

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 10:15:36 am »
Where did you order the cover from and how much did it cost as Iam looking for a replacement on my optima tub. Are you happy with the fit and quality of the cover?

dark rider

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 11:32:40 am »
Dr. Spa, stop being humble!  If your product is better, by all means tell us so, and the reasons why?  What are the worthwhile upgrades, and the ones to avoid? I just ordered my tub, so no need for a replacement cover, but am curious as well.  Also, since I bought a HotSpring Grandee that is coming with the Uprite cover lifter, does your company make the metal brackets to support it or am I stuck with ordering through Watkins/HotSpring as long as I use their lifter?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 12:22:48 pm »
It's not so much humility as it is my aversion to anything that could be considered spam. All one needs do is compare ALL of the various aspect/features of the covers. I doubt I know every single one out there, and I don't monitor most of them on a daily basis to keep constant track of what changes there may be. Many companies simply leave off some specs, and just tell you "it's the best" (and a rare few, in the past, I've known to be out right lying)...I've found that typically those doing this kind of thing, are hiding something :-)

Our covers ....

Insulating Foam -------- 4"x2" or 6"x4" virgin, expanded polystyrene (EPS). 1, 1˝ or 2 pound density.
Vinyl ------------------- Marine Grade 30 oz., polyester reinforced w/ 1500 hour UV rating.
Vapor Barrier ---------- 6 mil. heat sealed w/ double wrap option.
Underside Material ----- double laminated, reinforced, chemical and ozone resistant 10 oz. scrim.
Hinge ------------------- 4 layer reinforced single hinge. 100% insulated with a Continuous Hinge Seal.
Reinforcement ---------- 37 points of reinforcement including 20 gauge C-channel reinforcement of the foam.
Tie Down Straps ------- Completely integrated into the cover for exceptional strength, w/ all necessary hardware.
Handles ---------------- Also completely integrated into the cover for exceptional strength.
Thread ----------------- 93# UV resistant, bonded, Dacron Polyester thread.
Warranty --------------- 4 year full (not pro-rated) warranty.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 09:00:18 am »
to the original poster's question...  it depends on the spec of the OEM cover.  I believe that Sundance specs a 4x2 cover with 1.5# density foam.  The last Sundance OEM cover we had open had 3 mil film sealed around its cores.

You ordered a 5x3 2# base cover so your foam is thicker and denser which will translate into it being stronger and more energy-efficient.  The reflective bottom and hingeseal do help but IMHO that best option you appear to have chosen is the double-wrapped foam.  Not only is the first layer thicker at 6mil, but there's two layers.  This provides more and thicker layers of protection against water absorption.  Keep in mind that when the vapor barrier fails, your cover will get waterlogged.

The equalizing factor in most spa covers is the vinyl being used as most replacement cover manufacturers use similar vinyl because there are only two companies that warehouse it in the USA.  Sundance's current OEMs import direct from the mill.  Without naming names, the mfrs in question have a tendency to buy the cheapest stuff they can get.  Whereas their material may not be quite up to the standards most of us use, the vast majority of replacement cover manufacturers use the same vinyl.

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 10:57:55 am »
factory Sundance cover? I'm still trying to figure out what people mean by this, or are thinking. Are you thinking Sundance MAKES THEIR OWN covers??? Not! They use one of the three or four largest cover manufactures in the US to supply them. The covers are made specifically to their specifications (well, not really, I've seen the spec sheet from Sundance/Jacuzzi, and the covers aren't quite up to the specs) and they're neither better nor worse than any cover wiht the SAME specs.

Hey Doc. When I said "Factory cover" I just meant whatever cover the Sundance factory puts with their new spas. I had no idea if they made their own or not.  :)
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 01:01:58 pm »
I'm about to the point that in the next year or so I can say for certain. I've gotten 2-3 years out of 2 covers so far and close to 2 years ago I bought a replacement from RH.  I also went for double wrapped, reflective barrier and full hinge seal.   My previous covers cover water logged, got heavy and stressed the cover at the hinge seasms.   So far, I don't detect that its getting water logged and its wearing well.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 04:20:55 pm »
It's not so much humility as it is my aversion to anything that could be considered spam. All one needs do is compare ALL of the various aspect/features of the covers. I doubt I know every single one out there, and I don't monitor most of them on a daily basis to keep constant track of what changes there may be. Many companies simply leave off some specs, and just tell you "it's the best" (and a rare few, in the past, I've known to be out right lying)...I've found that typically those doing this kind of thing, are hiding something :-)

Our covers ....

Insulating Foam -------- 4"x2" or 6"x4" virgin, expanded polystyrene (EPS). 1, 1˝ or 2 pound density.
Vinyl ------------------- Marine Grade 30 oz., polyester reinforced w/ 1500 hour UV rating.
Vapor Barrier ---------- 6 mil. heat sealed w/ double wrap option.
Underside Material ----- double laminated, reinforced, chemical and ozone resistant 10 oz. scrim.
Hinge ------------------- 4 layer reinforced single hinge. 100% insulated with a Continuous Hinge Seal.
Reinforcement ---------- 37 points of reinforcement including 20 gauge C-channel reinforcement of the foam.
Tie Down Straps ------- Completely integrated into the cover for exceptional strength, w/ all necessary hardware.
Handles ---------------- Also completely integrated into the cover for exceptional strength.
Thread ----------------- 93# UV resistant, bonded, Dacron Polyester thread.
Warranty --------------- 4 year full (not pro-rated) warranty.

Is it ASTM rated/UL listed?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 04:36:35 pm »
ASTM doesn't "rate" anything...They simply write the standards.

It meets ASTM standards (The standard actually is mostly about how the cover needs to be labeled. Keep in mind that the strength aspect part is solely with the intent of preventing a child under the age of 5 from gaining entry into the spa. You could almost do this with a canvas bag...no, with a canvas bag and four wood 2x2's you could)). Currently considering have it independently tested and approved by either UL or ETL (may be required by a large OEM we just landed).

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 01:17:58 pm »
Thanks for all the info!  Let me comment on the new cover I just received from Spa-Mart...  First, it arrived much sooner than I expected which was a pleasant surprise!  I think I was told 3-4 weeks, but I got it in about two weeks.

As stated at the top I opted for all the upgrades, and I received exactly what I requested.  My initial impressions of the cover (when compared to the original one that came with my Optima) are simply amazing!  The cover just feels like a higher quality unit, from the reflective shielding to the snug fit to the rubber-coated handles to the hinge to the clips... everything just "feels right".  The only thing I was surprised at was how heavy it was, which I'm assuming is due to the higher density and thicker foam.

Overall, couldn't be happier with the whole experience.  Ordering was great, as all the measurements were pre-loaded on the website once I selected my tub (I confirmed them myself, but it was nice piece of mind to see that they matched up).  In terms of price, even with all the upgrades the cover was around $50 less than what I would have gotten at the Sundance dealer.

Strongly recommend Spa-Mart!
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 09:43:24 pm »
We appreciate the kind words and hope you enjoy your cover.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 07:41:22 am »
Ordering was great, as all the measurements were pre-loaded on the website once I selected my tub (I confirmed them myself, but it was nice piece of mind to see that they matched up). 

Interesting.  That was the one part of my purchase I was leery of.  Fortunately the instructions for measuring on the seller's site were pretty good, I printed them out and took out my tape measure.  The fit turned out perfect, but it was a worry while I was doing it.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 08:56:53 am »
So in 3 months my cover will celebrate it's 5th birthday. Other than a little crack at the spot where the cover lifter threads through the center of the cover, it is in excellent condition. It takes full sun on my deck all day which is probably why I have that crack in the vinyl. It has not waterlogged at all which I think that may be due to the fact that I use a spa blanket.

My cover came with my Epic from the dealer. I will try to find the specs and the manufacturer if anyone is interested..may have to call the dealer..but I am very happy with this cover and if the dealer still offers it, would buy another..when this one finally goes.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 08:56:53 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42