What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First timer. Looking for a spa.  (Read 6604 times)

Jake

First timer. Looking for a spa.
« on: August 24, 2010, 02:18:56 pm »
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a spa for the first time. Wow, tons of brands to pick from. I'm liking the three brands below. Thoughts or comments from these brands? Can one get a good quality spa for 7k? Leaning towards NO lounger after further research. I want something spacious but not huge. Does anyone have a specific model that might work for me? Quality for the best value is where I'm at. Thanks ahead!

Caldera
Hotspring
Clearwater

Hot Tub Forum

First timer. Looking for a spa.
« on: August 24, 2010, 02:18:56 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: First timer. Looking for a spa.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 02:28:44 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  Its been 7 years since I did any serious spa pricing.  Good luck on you search.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 03:05:45 pm »
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a spa for the first time. Wow, tons of brands to pick from. I'm liking the three brands below. Thoughts or comments from these brands? Can one get a good quality spa for 7k? Leaning towards NO lounger after further research. I want something spacious but not huge. Does anyone have a specific model that might work for me? Quality for the best value is where I'm at. Thanks ahead!

Caldera
Hotspring
Clearwater

Well, I would look at the HotSpring and Caldera personally. The HotSpring Prodigy might fit your requirements. There are also other lines from the same manufacturer you could look at like Tiger River and Limelight that might work for you also. Hope this helps.  :)
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 03:49:22 pm »
Hey everyone,

Caldera
Hotspring
Clearwater

Well, I would look at the HotSpring and Caldera personally. The HotSpring Prodigy might fit your requirements. There are also other lines from the same manufacturer you could look at like Tiger River and Limelight that might work for you also. Hope this helps.  :)

Hot Springs and Caldera are both good choices IMO and should have multiple options for you to look at.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

oldbones

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 06:12:43 pm »
Hi Jake
Like you I'm searching for my first spa but no matter who you pick - WET TEST, WET TEST, WET TEST! I was ready to buy online because they looked good, but after wet testing several models from hi end to mid priced, I realized it would have been a mistake to buy without testing first. My wife is 5'2" and I'm 6'. Didn't think we wanted a lounger but once she sat in one that fit her and got the exact massage she was looking for, we realized we did need a lounger after all. Brands you mentioned are great but look at Sundance and Artesian as well. You can get a really decent spa, 5 seater, for $7k. Be sure to check warranties as all are NOT equal, along with trip charges if there's not a local tech in your area. Good luck on the search and this forum and others are great as far as help and feedback.

Old Bones

Jake

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 06:29:54 pm »
Thanks for the input OldBones.  I'm liking the Caldera Palatino, Hotspring Grandee and now the Sundance Optima.  Does Sundance have the same reputation as Hotsprings (Watkins)?  I've only heard good things about the Optima. 

dark rider

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 10:33:16 am »
The Optima and Grandee were my front runners as well, and both are excellent tubs!  As a previous poster said, be sure to wet test any tub that you're serious about buying!  Both HotSpring and Sundance have excellent reputations, but don't forget to also factor in the specific dealer relationship as well. How comfortable you are with the specific dealer you'd receive support from means a lot in the long term relationship, since whatever spa your purchase will inevitably require service at some point.  If you're looking to save a bit of money to get down closer to your original $7K budget, HotSpring has either the Vanguard or Limelight Pulse, and Sundance has the Chelsee.  Caldera's Niagara is also worthy of consideration (horrible local dealer kept it from being on my top list). 

Personally, I think it's worth it to buck up the additional money for either the Grandee or Optima, once you take into account what you're getting for the additional money, but that is an individual choice you'll need to make.  Let the wet test narrow down the range of your top 2 or 3 tubs, than take into account the additional considerations, and buy the one that comes out on top. 

FWIW, I ended up going with the Grandee over the Optima, but I've seen purchasers go both ways.  The Optima had slightly more power than the Grandee, more defined seating, air/Sunscents, and a wonderful foot dome.  The Grandee had more than sufficient power, Moto-Massage (only a wet test can describe it  ;D), more room/capacity, sculpted shell with armwrests that didn't take up any interior space, better controls and lighting, ACE, and Tri-X ceramic filters.  Personally, I didn't need the extra power of the Optima, but it might be nice for someone who really likes deep-tissue massages.  Overall, the jets were pretty much a wash, with the Optima having a bit more variety, but the Moto-Massage seats are incredible!  Local dealer support from both the HotSpring and Sundance dealers was excellent, so another draw.  However, the added space, ease of maintenance, and cost savings led us to pick the Grandee.  Still have several weeks until delivery, and counting the days...   

Jake

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 03:45:16 pm »
Thanks Dark rider!  Great info.  Can I ask how much you paid for the Grandee?  I'm always drawn back to that model as well.  I wet tested the Vangaurd and the Moto massage is very nice!  I was quoted 10,000 all in but cash only.  I would need to finance half of it for sure.  I even looked into financing two years zero interest but the dealer wants to jack the price up 2 grand for 2 years financing.  Is this a common practice for spa dealers?  We just purchased a new house and installed a backyard from scratch so financing is the only option right now.  Anyway, just looking for a solid price range.  Thanks. 

dark rider

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 06:45:17 pm »
I paid $10,395 pre-tax for the Grandee with ACE, Uprite coverlifter, Everwood Steps, startup salt/chems, and delivery/installation.  That was my dealer's best price including the labor day 10% off promotion Watkins is offering, and I also took advantage of the 12 months same as cash for half of the purchase price. 

Jet Sitter

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 12:33:48 pm »
Thanks Dark rider!  Great info.  Can I ask how much you paid for the Grandee?  I'm always drawn back to that model as well.  I wet tested the Vangaurd and the Moto massage is very nice!  I was quoted 10,000 all in but cash only.  I would need to finance half of it for sure.  I even looked into financing two years zero interest but the dealer wants to jack the price up 2 grand for 2 years financing.  Is this a common practice for spa dealers?  We just purchased a new house and installed a backyard from scratch so financing is the only option right now.  Anyway, just looking for a solid price range.  Thanks. 
jakedomres - You are looking at some very nice tubs and would be happy with any of them, assuming a wet test works out well and your dealer is good.  Usually someone mentions some other dependable manufacturers such as Jacuzzi, D1 etc - if you search you will find them.  Just to play devil's advocate or give an opinion / advice that might be different I would suggest that you don't have to spend $10K to find a great tub.

My next door neighbor, an attourney who is well off and can easily afford any tub he want recently purchased the third tub he has owned.  In the past he had a nice Sundance and before that a Hot Springs.  This time he bought a simple Nordic tub.  When I was shopping he advised to get a simple tub - you don't need the bells and whistles and they add cost, complexity and more things can go wrong.  He said hot water and simple jetting is all you really need.

My neighbor across the street is also on his third tub, which he bought about five yearrs ago.  He runs a local brokerage and could buy any tub he wants.  He bought a simple one pump floor model sundance.  He laughs at the features on tubs such as water falls, lighting.  His is very simple, not even a circ pump or ozonator.  He uses his every other night.

My neighbor down the street, a doctor, is on his second tub, had a jacuzzi, now a hot spring and is shopping for his third tub and said he is going with a smaller, simpler, one pump tub.  He uses his less than the other too guys but still enjoys them and wants a new one.

The point is, these guys who know what it is like to have a hot tub, appreciate them and use them regularly and can afford any tub they want are buying tubs at the lower end of the price range.   $4000 in the first case, $4000 again in the second case but that was 5 years ago and a great deal and the third guy will probably be in the $5- $6 K range. They say don't get hung up on the jetting and lighting and headrests and different filtration or sanitation.  As for me I bought a D1 Arena after searching way too long but I am delighted with my choice.

The reason I am bringing this up is I would hesitate to borrow to buy a tub, as much I like them.  I would say spend within your means, or wait.  You will find many ways to spend $ with your new house.  You may say, mind your own business, but I just want you, a first time buyer to know that you don't need to spend $10K.

Jake

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 10:56:42 am »
Thanks for the info Jet Sitter.  I'm also looking at the Palatino which would be around 6k.  I have no issues with financing half the cost if doesn't cost me anything upfront.  Zero percent is easy.  I could take out funds (CDs, stocks and bonds) to pay for the entire purchase in "cash" but these funds are generating income.  I like a few of the cheaper models but will these models be around as long as the higher ends?  I've seen plenty of posts for Grandees that are 10-15 years old.  So, the longevity is a concern as well.  I would rather spend the extra 3-4k upfront and have a quality spa built to last than save money upfront and have the spa die in 7 years.  I also like the warranty of the HS models.  A cheaper spa might work out great or it might end up costing you more cash than the high end spa.  Care and luck probably playing a role.   

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 03:18:07 pm »
the spa die in 7 years. .    

Did he just say a spa dieing in 7 years?   I'm knocking on the simulated wood of my 2003 spa  :D
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Jet Sitter

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 12:28:42 pm »
Jake - Sounds like you know where you are at financially and if you can buy a house in this economy, you must be doin' alright. I am just so cautious with finances (one of those dinosaurs who doesn't lease or finance cars, as one example) that it jumped out at me that you were going to borrow to buy the tub.  I probably should have just kept to the subject of tubs, but...

As for quality and longevity as a function of cost, once you are at a certain level more $ doesn't buy better quality or longevity, it just buys more size, more pumps, more features (some of which may or may not be of any value) maybe longer warranty from some manufacturers and higher life cycle cost. 

BNMac

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 01:44:59 pm »
We paid $5700 for our new Columbia Spas Teton model - single 5 hp 2 speed jet motor, 25 jets, dual air injection, recirc & ozone with a Gecko control system.  Delivered and placed in the final location.  We picked the colors of the shell, skirt and cover from a large palette; it was built to order.

It has one light, no waterfalls, no stereos, no televisions, no other gizmos or do-dads.

We looked at HS spas and many many other brands for $8-$12K and decided we just didn't want to drop the bucks on something that expensive.  We considered going the used route but decided to get new one for a couple reasons - to support our local supplier, and for the warranty.  The tub is manufactured right here in Oregon so we are supporting our local economy from manufacturer to supplier to owner. 

If you like supporting big storefronts, go ahead, but it's certainly one thing that really turned us off on the big marquee brands.

Vanguard

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 08:17:59 pm »
We paid $5700 for our new Columbia Spas Teton model - single 5 hp 2 speed jet motor, 25 jets, dual air injection, recirc & ozone with a Gecko control system.  Delivered and placed in the final location.  We picked the colors of the shell, skirt and cover from a large palette; it was built to order.

It has one light, no waterfalls, no stereos, no televisions, no other gizmos or do-dads.

We looked at HS spas and many many other brands for $8-$12K and decided we just didn't want to drop the bucks on something that expensive.  We considered going the used route but decided to get new one for a couple reasons - to support our local supplier, and for the warranty.  The tub is manufactured right here in Oregon so we are supporting our local economy from manufacturer to supplier to owner. 

If you like supporting big storefronts, go ahead, but it's certainly one thing that really turned us off on the big marquee brands.

Of course, Marquis Spas are built right there in Oregon as well. 
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 08:17:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42