What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HELP!!! First time hot tub buyer.  (Read 11580 times)

scuba steve

HELP!!! First time hot tub buyer.
« on: August 07, 2010, 07:03:16 pm »
Looking for advice for our first hot tub.  Due to space limitations, can't be bigger than 84" and would like a lounger.

not a lot of dealers here in the tampa area.  looked at a dimension one aurora (~$8700), vita spa protege ($8200) and jacuzzi j460 ($8800).  also a caldera dealer in the area still to visit.  would like to spend a little less if possible.  are these reasonable prices?

Any opinions on these models or other models/brands i should look at?  we really like the neck pillows with massagers on the D1 model. 

All advice appreciated.  Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

HELP!!! First time hot tub buyer.
« on: August 07, 2010, 07:03:16 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: HELP!!! First time hot tub buyer.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 07:39:41 am »
Welcome to the forum. All of these seem like reputable spas with fair prices.  Prices vary across the country. These are definitely not highly inflated prices.  I'm sure you will get lots of good advice and I hope your buying experience is a good one, it can be stressful. We hope to hear how it goes.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 11:02:15 am »
Looking for advice for our first hot tub.  Due to space limitations, can't be bigger than 84" and would like a lounger.

not a lot of dealers here in the tampa area.  looked at a dimension one aurora (~$8700), vita spa protege ($8200) and jacuzzi j460 ($8800).  also a caldera dealer in the area still to visit.  would like to spend a little less if possible.  are these reasonable prices?

Any opinions on these models or other models/brands i should look at?  we really like the neck pillows with massagers on the D1 model. 

All advice appreciated.  Thanks!

My short list would be Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance. I would think an area like Tampa would have all those choices available. Take you time, wet test (especially if you think you want a lounger which should only happen if its wet tested IMO) and get a feel for how well you think your dealer will care for your needs after the sale.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 11:17:43 am »
Take you time, wet test (especially if you think you want a lounger which should only happen if its wet tested IMO)

Good point, as much as we talk about wet testing, the Lounger is a great reason to wet test. What looks like a great lounger may not be so great when you try it out and what works for one person may not work for another.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 01:51:34 pm »
Take you time, wet test (especially if you think you want a lounger which should only happen if its wet tested IMO)

Good point, as much as we talk about wet testing, the Lounger is a great reason to wet test. What looks like a great lounger may not be so great when you try it out and what works for one person may not work for another.

... and the absolute WORST place to find out if a lounge works for you is in your own back yard, after its too late to change.

SOOOOO many times we've seen people convinced they want a lounge only to rethink after wet testing.

BNMac

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 01:22:19 pm »
We came to that conclusion after trying the lounger in a friends spa... no one uses it.  Once we started our search in earnest, that was the first thing we avoided.

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 09:08:12 pm »
On my list above D1, Jacuzzi, Vita, on my short list . D1 ,Sundance Jacuzzi. Hot Springs. Marquis,   do not see Vita in our part of the country, i believe they are now owned by Maax Spas... But the price of the D1 is very good, the features it has the adjustable headrest, the ultrapure ozone( it does not offgas into the main body of water. the vision cartridge is a good way to go.But definately need to wetest these spas, always buy what is comfortable to you and the dealer you are comfortable with... good luck let us know how you do.
The Spa Guy
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

scuba steve

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 09:56:53 pm »
Thanks for everyones help.   

Part of my concern is that the nearest dimension one dealer is about 45 miles away so worry about service issues but my overall favorite is the aurora.  The only spa dealers less than 30 miles away are jacuzzi, hot springs, caldera and vita.  Actually really liked the caldera tahitian also.  We also liked the Vita spa, but pricing is similar to the other higher end brands but never seems to be listed with the top brands.  so confusing!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 11:24:26 am »
Thanks for everyones help.   

Part of my concern is that the nearest dimension one dealer is about 45 miles away so worry about service issues but my overall favorite is the aurora.  The only spa dealers less than 30 miles away are jacuzzi, hot springs, caldera and vita.  Actually really liked the caldera tahitian also.  We also liked the Vita spa, but pricing is similar to the other higher end brands but never seems to be listed with the top brands.  so confusing!

With the D1 being that far away, if you want to choose them make sure you get in writing what the cost/timing would be for them to come out for warranty work (yes, there may/will be a trip charge to come out, ask for all of them for that matter). Otherwise, all good choices though I'm not too familiar with Vita either.

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 04:04:24 pm »
even though they are that far away, i can understand the hesitation, we deliver spas all the time that far away, we do inform our customers of a trip charge , which most understand that... i really have not had a problem, but get this out up front, so that way there are no surprises.... but i think you are on the right track.
The Spa Guy
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

aquawarehouse

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 09:37:11 am »
If you need more info on the Vita we are the UK Vita distributor so although I obviously have no interest in selling you one I can offer advice on specs etc.
Vita Spas are now built in Arizona but were originated in Florida so they will be plenty of tech guys in that area. We have dealt with them for 7 years now and believe them to be a good company with decent customer service. They have always looked after us! Again - A WET TEST is best. Good luck

oldbones

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 11:48:34 am »
I agree with wet testing. My wife and I are looking for a 2-3 seater and were set on one from Costco, but decided to wet test some others and what a difference it made. We're down to the Sundance Dover and I have to disagree with above comments about loungers. If you fit comfortably in one, then why not. The problem is most loungers will push you up and out of them. We took D1 off the list because we couldn't stay seated in either seat or lounger, not to mention the pricing. We tested Maax, Cooperage and Sundance as well, and like I said, the Dover model has a lounger and two other seats with great massage jets. It fits us well. Now we just need to haggle on the pricing. As also said above, don't buy one because of a "deal" without wet testing. Even dry testing is not the same. We found that out. Yes, it's a hassle bringing bathing suits and towels, but at the end of the day, not only is it worth it, but you are totally relaxed and it confirms that hot tubs are well worth it! Hope this helps.

Old Bones

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 11:57:59 am »
and I have to disagree with above comments about loungers. If you fit comfortably in one, then why not. The problem is most loungers will push you up and out of them.

Who/what are you disagreeing with?

You're saying what what we all say basically. If you fit in a lounge (meaning wet tested it, dry testing doesn't tell you enough) and it works for you then go for it. If you're not going to wet test then you're better off skipping it. The problem is most who want one don't wet test it and how whether it fits is not somethign you want to find out in your back yard.

oldbones

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 03:07:31 pm »
Spatech,
I'm referring to BNMac's comment about his friend's spa and how no ones uses the lounger. Had they wet tested it first, and wet tested other models with loungers, they may have found one that fit them better and would be using it on a regular basis. I've seen other forums and blogs where "those in the know" say don't waste your time with loungers and I disagree with that comment as well. To each his own, right?
OB

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 04:15:09 pm »
Spatech,
I'm referring to BNMac's comment about his friend's spa and how no ones uses the lounger. Had they wet tested it first, and wet tested other models with loungers, they may have found one that fit them better and would be using it on a regular basis. I've seen other forums and blogs where "those in the know" say don't waste your time with loungers and I disagree with that comment as well. To each his own, right?
OB

Absolutely, you can't assume what works for one person will work for others, even if they're of similar body type. IMO, if you aren't going to wet test you should skip a lounge. However, if you do wet test then go with whatever proves itself in that test whether its the lounge or not.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 04:15:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42