What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Natural Sanitation  (Read 5544 times)

dandee

Natural Sanitation
« on: August 06, 2010, 10:04:02 am »
Hi-new to forum.  Has anyong had any experience with the so called forms of natural sanitation.  I would like to steer clear of all the chemicals if possible.  I am new to tub ownership.  The ones I see on the internet seem to be enzyme based.  They require a shock every couple of weeks but are supposed to last a couple of months.  My concern with these products is that if they really worked everyone would be using them instead of chemicals.  Are they a scam?  I have purchased a used tub from a friend-Hot springs sovereign, any advice or info on upkeep would be greatly appreciated, Thanks  ??? ???
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 11:38:35 am by dandee »

Hot Tub Forum

Natural Sanitation
« on: August 06, 2010, 10:04:02 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Natural Sanitation
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 11:19:28 am »
Hi-new to forum.  Has anyong had any experience with the so called forms of natural saitation.  I would like to steer clear of all the chemicals if possible.  I am new to tub ownership.  The ones I see on the internet seem to be enzyme based.  They require a shock every couple of weeks but are supposed to last a couple of months.  My concern with these products is that if they really worked everyone would be using them instead of chemicals.  Are they a scam?  I have purchased a used tub from a friend-Hot springs sovereign, any advice or info on upkeep would be greatly appreciated, Thanks  ??? ???

You do not want to steer clear of all "chemicals". They make it sound like sanitizing your spa is a bad idea by making the word "chemicals" sound like its something out of a horror movie.

Use of enzymes, mineral sticks, ozone are great IN CONJUNCTION with a sanitizer.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

dandee

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 11:47:11 am »
One enzyme company is recommending the use of 99% sodium dichlor every 1 or 2 weeks.  Is that what would be the sanitizer?  The manuel I got with the spa is recommending the use of chlorine prior to each use and then once a week.  Would the emzyme use mean I would not use the chlorine before every use? I would only need to shock it every week or so with the 99% sodium dichlor?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 12:50:12 pm »
One enzyme company is recommending the use of 99% sodium dichlor every 1 or 2 weeks.  Is that what would be the sanitizer?  The manuel I got with the spa is recommending the use of chlorine prior to each use and then once a week.  Would the emzyme use mean I would not use the chlorine before every use? I would only need to shock it every week or so with the 99% sodium dichlor?

I use chlorine (or sodium dichlor) after each use and then shock periodically, works great. I also have drinking water that uses chlorine to keep it safe. Chlorine is my friend.

As far as the enzyme company saying to add the sodium dichlor every 2 weeks, I think thats wishful thinking and afterward you''ll end up finding you need to use it more (hopeully you don't find out the hard way).

Nothing against using the enzyme, give it a try if you like but I think they're exaggerating their claim to sell you on it (big shock huh?).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

rynadesouza

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 05:36:46 am »
Safe and clean drinking water and sanitation is a "human right that is essential for the full enjoyment of life and all human rights.Anyway, Thanks for sharing this information.I learn many things from this discussion. 

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 07:47:08 am »
Its been awhile since I last checked, but most of the enzyme based products seemed to be a lot more expensive in the long run.    I consider my tub pretty chemical free.  We add some dichlor as soon as we get out at night and the level is just about zero when we get back in.   We easily get 3 to 4 months between changes this way.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 05:55:57 pm »
Hi-new to forum.  Has anyong had any experience with the so called forms of natural sanitation.  I would like to steer clear of all the chemicals if possible.  I am new to tub ownership.  The ones I see on the internet seem to be enzyme based.  They require a shock every couple of weeks but are supposed to last a couple of months.  My concern with these products is that if they really worked everyone would be using them instead of chemicals.  Are they a scam?  I have purchased a used tub from a friend-Hot springs sovereign, any advice or info on upkeep would be greatly appreciated, Thanks  ??? ???

Enzyme-based purification is PRIMARILY marketing hype.  Do they work, pretty much but most still require Di-Chlor now and then (which IS the normal chlorine use in hot tubs).  You ALWAYS pay more for the "natural" products.  Using di-chlor the right way, you will save a LOT of money and will also usually be soaking in pure, clean water.  By the "correct" way, I mean simply putting in an ounce or two of it AFTER your soak.  You can pay for the enzyme stuff but it's really only going to line the seller's pockets and is NOT any more effective than the di-chlor only model.  Also, some of hte enzyme stuff can "gunk up" your filters if done wrong which would mean that you would have to clean the filters and then start over.  This was/is common with the Nature 2 cartridges in my case when they reached the end of their useful life (about every 3 months)
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 05:55:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42