What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Evolution Spas vs. Hotsprings vs. Thermospas - CONFUSED!  (Read 45995 times)

PJC

Evolution Spas vs. Hotsprings vs. Thermospas - CONFUSED!
« on: July 09, 2010, 11:08:26 am »
I began a spa search about a week ago and must admit to being very confused.  I've read good and bad things about the Costco Evolution 80 for about $5K and have read very good things about Hotsprings and Thermospas.  It seems that these two are $3K+ more than Evolution.  I know there are some differences (titanium pump vs. stainless etc.) but is the extra $$$ really worth it?

Any insight appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

Evolution Spas vs. Hotsprings vs. Thermospas - CONFUSED!
« on: July 09, 2010, 11:08:26 am »

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
Re: Evolution Spas vs. Hotsprings vs. Thermospas - CONFUSED!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 04:08:33 pm »
Welcome to the board.

Just to be clear, The HotSpring heating element is titanium not the pump.

Out of the 3 spas you mention, the HotSpring will be your best choice for both reliability and longevity, IMHO.  :)

I would strongly suggest searching both this forum and the BBB on thermospa to get a better idea of what they are all about. You will not find many thermospa fans here. If you have warranty issues, how do they handle them? I've never seen a themospa store.

I also recommend finding a dealer in your area to talk to. If you make a purchase, how is the Cotsco spa delivered? Dropped off in front of your home and a good-bye wave is what I suspect will happen. What happens when / if you need warranty work? Do you load the spa up in the bed of your truck and take it back to the store?

I assume the HotSpring spa you saw was in a brick and mortar showroom that you can go to and look someone in the eye? Did they have a water testing station to help you keep your spa water safe and clean? If there is a warranty need do they have repair tech's that they can send to your home to diagnose / fix potential issues? Finding a dealer that you feel confident in and comfortable with can be the difference in spatopia and a nightmare.  ;)

« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 04:10:08 pm by soak-king »
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 11:37:00 pm »
I would have to agree with soak-king, i would stick with a brand with local service and backing. purchasing a tub is so much more than getting a low price, it is the service after the sale that is key. From operation to water chemistry. you always have someone there you can count on. I would also look at the Hot Springs form the 3 you choose from. you might also do some research through your local dealers in your area. talk to them, tell them  what you have been looking at . see what they have to say.
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 02:18:06 am »
This is kind of like comparing apples to onions to carrots.

Hot Spring is a quality made spa sold through dealers. Local dealer, good product, good service, good warranty, etc.

The Thermospa is a far lesser quality spa sold at high prices without a local dealer. One of the worst options in the industry IMO.

The Costco spas are a lesser quality spa IMO without a local dealer to provide serivice but at least they are not expensive and are sold through Costco so while I'm not a fan they're actually a better idea than Thermospa but thats not saying much and you should be looking to buy something that has a history of lasting and Costco has never carried a spa that has done well over time.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

PJC

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 06:08:54 am »
Thank you both.  Thermospas has local reps and is manufactured in CT.  They sell direct and do not have retail stores.  I have a rep coming for a sales pitch today.  They claim to have many of the same "quality" ingredients similar to HS...titanium heater etc.  Next step is to find a HS dealer and do my research there.  I am definitely not one to buy low quality, low price items...just want the best value without lining the pockets of a retailer too much.

Any other brands to consider?  What do you think of the ACE salt system?  Too new to trust?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 09:01:46 am »
never mind
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 12:34:26 pm »
pjc
do you see the pattern here. i sell upper end spas, i also have a bridge for sale. of course they are going to tell you that it is comparable.it worked your letting them in your door. As for comparables of Hot Spring. D1, Sundance, Jacuzzi,Marquis, to name a few.Have you seen the infomercial on t.v . you have to wonder. they say things like they are the only one that does this and nobody else does. it makes you  wonder.
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

Vanguard

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 01:01:02 pm »
Be very careful when they come to your home.  They are slick, pushy salesmen.  Even if you don't want to buy today, they'll keep pushing and lowering the price.

I'm not going to say Thermospas people are dishonest, but they are very pushy and don't give up. 
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 01:01:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42