What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Understanding Chemicals-New Owner  (Read 3987 times)

Mike Lambert

Understanding Chemicals-New Owner
« on: June 17, 2010, 09:31:45 am »
We finally got our new Caldera Geneva last Friday and have been really enjoying it.  Last night when we opened the cover we found that it was cloudy.  After doing some searching on this forum I am thinking its a bacteria problem and need to shock it.  One of the bottles that the dealer gave us is Artctic Pure-Peak Boost.  I will add this and let it run for 30 minutes and see what happens.  Is this ok or what should I do after this?

After reading a bunch of posts I am really confused with the terminology and all the different brands that people use.  What is Dichlor?  Is it the same as Chlorine and Bromine?  What is Oxidizer, is this what should go in after every use?  How do I know what to set the levels on for the mineral and bromine cartridge on the frog system?

The hot tub has the SpaFrog system and ozone.  From the little that I understand the hot tub uses Bromine, not Chlorine.  Can someone simplify the chemical management that should be done with this tub and these systems or help me get clear water by the weekend? 

Thanks, Mike

Hot Tub Forum

Understanding Chemicals-New Owner
« on: June 17, 2010, 09:31:45 am »

BNMac

Re: Understanding Chemicals-New Owner
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 12:48:19 pm »
I'm a noob at this too - others have suggested reading Dr. Spa's Leisure Time's Spa Care Guide at http://www.rhtubs.com/info/Lt-spacare.htm .  I checked it out this morning.. Good info!  My supplier has these products on his shelf - too bad his store is open only 3 days a week. 

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 10:29:41 pm »
Spa frog may be bromine, there should be 2 cartridges - 1 for bromine and one for minerals. You can go to Doc's  (rhtubs) and read up on bromine there. Did you add any sodium bromine (or is is bromide)? you need to establish a reserve before the tablets will work properly - I believe that it explains all that on Doc's site.

Oxidizer is non chlorine shock or MPS. You can use either oxidizer or chlorine to shock a bromine tub and yes you should add some every time you get out if you use the tub frequently or if you show no free bromine when you test. Just for a FYI - bromine is not as potent in killing bacteria as chlorine but combined bromine is able to kill bacteria where combined chlorine is not.

As far as clearing up the water by the weekend ... if you have a bromine reserve, you can try a heavy shock with a followup with a little clarifier, that may do it. But you got to get a high level of sanitizer to kill all the bacteria in the water first other wise the clear water will not be clean water.

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 08:33:03 pm »
I'm a noob at this too - others have suggested reading Dr. Spa's Leisure Time's Spa Care Guide at http://www.rhtubs.com/info/Lt-spacare.htm .  I checked it out this morning.. Good info!  My supplier has these products on his shelf - too bad his store is open only 3 days a week. 

3 days a week????  Seriously?

BNMac

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 01:10:01 am »
Yep.  mid to small town, economy about killed his biz.  He no longer has employees, it's a family affair now.  He's still available during the remainder of the week via his cell but he's on the road doing service calls.   Like lots of other things, it now requires a bit of prior planning if we need anything.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 09:20:52 am »
Hmm ,  might  be a good time to invoke Chas' law.  I guess in the forum updates, it got removed. I'll see about fixing that.   Anyway, Chas' law states a new hot tub owner should dump the water after a month. Rookies tend to over medicate their water by testing too often and adding too many chemicals. At about the month period they have their routines down and should start over.

Chas, any comments?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 09:20:52 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42