What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HotSprings "ACE" salt water generator  (Read 29555 times)

lyncch00

HotSprings "ACE" salt water generator
« on: June 11, 2010, 08:36:55 pm »
Hi, I'm new to the forum and in the very early stages of purchasing a hot tub.  I tried one at a resort and it was nice but the chlorine was a turn off.  I know there are bromine systems out there as well as ozinators.  HotSprings was the only system I saw that came with either the ozinator system or, the salt water generator.  Does anybody have first hand experience with the HotSprings salt system? I'm sure there are after market products but I didn't see any other big name hot tubs that come with a salt system.  Thanks 

Hot Tub Forum

HotSprings "ACE" salt water generator
« on: June 11, 2010, 08:36:55 pm »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: HotSprings "ACE" salt water generator
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 10:58:36 am »
Welcome to the forum!

So far, so good on the ACE Saltwater System.  We've had them up and running in our showrooms for 4 months and they have worked great.  We've sold several of them and the customers have been pleased.  I am a huge skeptic when it comes to most newfangled contraptions, but I am extremely impressed with how easy the ACE system operates and the fantastic quality of the water.  Once the water is balanced, you just add a few cups of salt, push a couple of buttons, and the spa takes care of itself.

If the system needs some maintenance, the new LCD color display will advise you as to what adjustments need to take place.  You need to clean the electrode every so often (easy to do).  The only downside I'm aware of is that the electrode will need to be replaced every 3 years or so...otherwise, it is a terrific system!

Terminator
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 11:08:27 am by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Summitman

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 11:59:49 am »
how much for a new electrode?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 01:21:31 pm »
Salt water generator? This thing generates salt water??? Come on, it's using salt water to create (generate) either CHLORINE or BROMINE.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 05:26:22 pm »
I believe the electrode is around $300...can't remember off the top of my head.  About $7-13/month for the salt, depending on spa size.

Electrode breaks down the salt molecules into Free Oxygen.  FO then combines with elements in the water to produce Chlorine, Hydrogen Peroxide, Ozone, and MPS.

Salt levels are maintained at around 800-1000 ppm.  You can't taste or smell any salt in the spa.

It really works great..piece of cake!

Terminator

lyncch00

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 12:45:11 am »
Thanks for the info.  Sorry if I confused anybody with the words "salt water generator."  I know the system does not create salt ,but, you managed to comprehend and answer my question regardless of the incorrect manner in which I phrased  the question.  I have one more.  Is the ACE salt system usead instead of an ozinator or in addition to the ozinator?  Thanks again.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 02:50:17 am »
Thanks for the info.  Sorry if I confused anybody with the words "salt water generator." 

We all knew what you meant, Dr Spa was just being a wise ass. Keep in mind he was the kid in class who would raise his hand just before the bell rang to say " Teacher, you forgot to give us our homework assignment!".
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 07:11:18 pm »
Something to consider when looking at a salt water chlorine generator - what can or may be affected by the salt water that spills out of the tub and it will. I looked into it for my above ground pool and a manufactures rep strongly suggested that above ground pools will corrode quicker from the splash out. The salt will build up and become more and more corrosive ... could be a problem if it wasn't thought of.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 11:00:36 am »
The salt levels in the ACE Saltwater System are just slightly higher than the salt levels in municipal water supplies.  It tastes exactly like the water that comes out of your tap.

Terminator

Vanguard

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 12:03:07 pm »
Something to consider when looking at a salt water chlorine generator - what can or may be affected by the salt water that spills out of the tub and it will. I looked into it for my above ground pool and a manufactures rep strongly suggested that above ground pools will corrode quicker from the splash out. The salt will build up and become more and more corrosive ... could be a problem if it wasn't thought of.

That's because the bottom rail of most above ground pools are metallic.  Yes, salt will corrode those very quickly.  I think a hot tub would be quite different in that regard.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 08:37:55 am »
I was thinking anything around the hot tub that can be affected by splashout. But what Term said about salt levels - maybe its a different system in the hot tub than pool.

That's because the bottom rail of most above ground pools are metallic.  Yes, salt will corrode those very quickly.  I think a hot tub would be quite different in that regard.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 09:01:20 am »
I am finally getting up to speed on this system, and yes the salt level is very low. If you water your lawn with tap water, it most likely contains just slightly less salt than what will splash out of your tub. The tap water will also contain far more chlorine...

I said before that the cell was my big concern: in most systems you have to buy a new one and it is a pain to replace. In this system, the cell lives in the filter compartment, inside the core of the filter which has water flow around the clock. That means that if and when it needs attention, you can get right to it without trouble. In fact you don't even have to open the equipment compartment door or anything. AND, that access means that if the cell begins to put out less than normal it can be cleaned and put back into full use. To do so you just soak it in light acid - mix a bit of 'Spa Down' with water, soak it, and drop it back into the filter compartment. Good to go.

I'm liking this thing! My spa at home is too old to fit one, or I would have one. If we can sell a few spas around here, we may get to update.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 09:41:13 am »
You can also get some good information here. http://vimeo.com/12591377
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 02:21:24 pm by soak-king »
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 02:19:40 pm »
That new avatar definitely shows some great Photo Shop skills there Term.
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 02:19:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42