What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Too many options....help  (Read 13455 times)

neacr1

Too many options....help
« on: May 10, 2010, 01:06:08 pm »
Hi all, I have been doing some research and trying to figure out what is important in the purchase of a tub. I understand dealer confidence and availability therefore I have been looking at Hot Springs (vanguard 8250.00) Limelight (pulse 7700.00) and Marquis (Reward 7800.00). Seems as though no other brands have dealers close enough to provide service. I was really hoping to spend less for this size tub but doesn't look like that's an option. My concern now is cost to operate and longevity. I have looked at this forum and get the drift that longevity is probably going to be the same among the better brands and that the better warranted brand will cost more but I'm unsure of the Limelight and Marquis as I can't find much non-dealer feedback on them. I would appreciate some advice or input on these two brands if anyone is willing. There is a Caldera dealer down the street that I stopped into and they had a good looking/sized tub in the showroom for over 10k don't remember the model but no-one was available with knowledge about it to talk to. I have heard that Caldera is a box store brand and not as reliable as the other top brands. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance. :-\

Hot Tub Forum

Too many options....help
« on: May 10, 2010, 01:06:08 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Too many options....help
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 01:27:24 pm »
Hi all, I have been doing some research and trying to figure out what is important in the purchase of a tub. I understand dealer confidence and availability therefore I have been looking at Hot Springs (vanguard 8250.00) Limelight (pulse 7700.00) and Marquis (Reward 7800.00). Seems as though no other brands have dealers close enough to provide service. I was really hoping to spend less for this size tub but doesn't look like that's an option. My concern now is cost to operate and longevity. I have looked at this forum and get the drift that longevity is probably going to be the same among the better brands and that the better warranted brand will cost more but I'm unsure of the Limelight and Marquis as I can't find much non-dealer feedback on them. I would appreciate some advice or input on these two brands if anyone is willing. There is a Caldera dealer down the street that I stopped into and they had a good looking/sized tub in the showroom for over 10k don't remember the model but no-one was available with knowledge about it to talk to. I have heard that Caldera is a box store brand and not as reliable as the other top brands. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance. :-\

My short list of spas I tend to recommend includes Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance. Caldera isn't a big box brand, not sure where you got that from. Each of those brands has spas from entry level up to the premium end.

I'd concentrate on dealer confidence (how long in business, how long with this brand, how long have they serviced spas and this brand, will he be there for you after the sale, what approach they take in trying to make the sale, etc.), what kind of package deal you can get, manufacturer warranty and confidence they'll back it, wet test results, aesthetics, etc.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 01:41:53 pm »

My short list of spas I tend to recommend includes Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance. Caldera isn't a big box brand, not sure where you got that from.

I thought, and could be wrong that in some cases Costco or Sam's club may contract floor space with local dealers to drop a tub on the display floor and that around the country different local dealers have accepted that offer.   I think I read that somewhere.

To the OP, as Spatech said, Caldera is recognized as a good brand and we have several happy owners here.  My sister is taking delivery in a few days of her Vanguard from HS, I look forward to trying it out in July.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

neacr1

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 03:13:52 pm »
I just found a Sundance dealer about 90 miles away that serves my area with 24 hour service, been in service 35 years and has sold only Sundance for around 20 years. In speaking with them and telling them about the tubs I was looking at they directed me toward the Hamilton in the 780 series tubs. I have only seen pictures but it doesn't seem to compare with the Vanguard or the Limelight Pulse. I think I've decided against the Marquis as it seems to cost close to the other for a smaller tub with less features. Any thoughts??

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 05:00:00 pm »
I just found a Sundance dealer about 90 miles away that serves my area with 24 hour service,  Any thoughts??

That can work out if the dealer provides excellent customer service that far away but I'd get that 24 hr comment on paper and I'd especially want to know what the travel change would be if ther is one (yes, they can charge for travel while under warranty, especially when that far away).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 05:07:17 pm by Spatech_tuo »

neacr1

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 11:24:01 pm »
Went to the Caldera dealer tonight and they offered the Niagra or Geneva for 9500.00. Both were '09 models. Plumbing and heating is their first business but the owners mom lives next door ( maybe some leverage lol). Delivered, setup with 220 box, free service calls for warranty work. More money than I want to spend but, according to the dealer this is a great deal. Any thoughts, does it sound like a deal? Is it comparable to the vanguard or limelight?

Vanguard

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 01:11:55 am »
That is a good deal for the Geneva and Niagara.  The main difference is the lounger vs no lounger.  Of course, the Niagara is a non-lounger, but a bigger spa than the Vanguard.  I love the Niagara.  Of course, I really like the Moto Massage on the Vanguard, so for me that would be a tough choice.

Both brands are made by Watkins Manufacturing.  Watkins is among the leaders in the industry.  They've been around since the late 70's, making them one of the longest term manufacturers of portable spas.

I don't believe there were really too many changes from '09 to '10 on the Geneva or Niagara.  I think they are pretty much the same.  So, $9500 gets you up higher than were you wanted to be, but that is a good deal.

Now, the Vanguard is a great spa.  The Limelights are good, well-built spas as well.  They also come from Watkins.  They just have a different style and a shorter warranty.

The thing to do at this point is wet test.  Try the Niagara.  See if the Caldera dealer has a Tahitian.  That would be more comparable to the Vanguard - but it is a lounger.  Then, try out the Vanguard and Limelight.  See which one you fit in best and which has the best jets for you.

I'd be wary of a 90 mile distance from my dealer.  90 miles is a long way for anyone to just head on over to check out a spa under warranty.  I'm not saying they won't, I'd just be certain they really will.  Get it in writing.

Good Luck.

Oh, by the way, Marquis makes a good spa, too.  Since you said you'd ruled them out, I decided not to go there.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 10:59:32 am »
Delivered, setup with 220 box, free service calls for warranty work. More money than I want to spend but, according to the dealer this is a great deal. Any thoughts, does it sound like a deal?

If that was what I wanted I'd make one more move to better the deal i.e. "I'll sign if you throw in a cover lifter" which you'll want on a spa that big.

Water Boy

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 11:18:53 am »
This is just my opinion, but it seems to me that the Caldera's are still priced kind of high, especially for 09 models. For me, especially seeing the difference in price, I would take another look at the Vanguard and the Marquis as they are of the same quality, and you can get them at a much better price. But, if you like the Caldera and the price then go for it. But it just seems to me that you would be overpaying a bit, especially when you can get brands of equal quality at a much better price.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Vanguard

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 11:34:45 am »
This is just my opinion, but it seems to me that the Caldera's are still priced kind of high, especially for 09 models. For me, especially seeing the difference in price, I would take another look at the Vanguard and the Marquis as they are of the same quality, and you can get them at a much better price. But, if you like the Caldera and the price then go for it. But it just seems to me that you would be overpaying a bit, especially when you can get brands of equal quality at a much better price.

But you're comparing smaller spas to larger spas there.  The Geneva and Niagara are two of the largest spas Caldera makes and they are in their Utopia series.  They will cost more than the Vanguard.  There is no difference between the '09 and '10, so the price wouldn't really even change that much.  He might be able to negotiate a better deal, but $9500 for a Geneva or Niagara is still a good deal.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Water Boy

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 12:17:35 pm »
These are all very very comparable in size, and there are a few differences for sure. I show that the Caldera is 2" wider and 2" taller then the Vanguard, so I guess there Caldera's are a little bigger, but hardly a huge difference. But, the Marquis is 90" wide so it is overall a bigger tub then all three, but it is three inches shallower than the Caldera's and one inch shallower then the Marquis, so I guess it is all in how you look at it. I still say for 1500 dollars plus in savings, it would be worth it to look again at the others. Again, this is just my opinion. You cant go wrong either way here imo, just a good way to save some serious $$$.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 12:25:16 pm by Beer Man »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 02:00:20 pm »
To me I think the Vanguard is leaps and bounds above the limelight series and Caldera for that matter. In regards to jets,filtration and construction.  Not to mention warranty compared to the limelight.

neacr1

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 12:36:39 am »
Beer man, which marquis were you speaking of? I had looked at the reward for 7700.00 and thought that the other brands offered more for the money.

I can get a vanguard from a dealer outside my service area with a cover lifter for 8250.00. A closer dealer has offered an '09 for 9000.00 including a lifter with gas pistons, silver cartridge, silk balance, ceramic filter, 220 panel and steps. They also offered the '09 envoy for 9000.00 with the same accessories and the grandee at 10900.00. This was over the phone and I would guess I could do a little better in person.

The Hot Springs and Caldera have the dedicated circ pump and HS has the non-bypass filtration. Marquis has neither. How important is that? I really loved the Marquis dealer, she spent lots of time with us and agreed to let us wet test. I was surprised that a lot of dealers don't let you test or they let you test their top of the line so you can get the feel of their jets but not the model you are interested in. Sorry to keep throwing more and more out there I just want to make a wise decision that I will be comfortable with. I really appreciate all the input. You guys are great with this stuff!! Thank You all!

Water Boy

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 10:06:50 am »
Ok, insert foot in mouth. ::) I was clearly smoking crack. I for some reason thought I read that you were looking at the Marquis Euphoria and not the Reward. So, Vanguard was right when he said that the Calderas ARE bigger then the others that you are looking at. Sorry Vanguard, my bad. Must of crossed up some different threads together. Should have done a better job of reading the first post. My bad!

But, to answer the rest of your questions, I really wouldn't factor in the no bypass filtration, nor the circ pump vs no circ pump. All the tubs that you are looking at will filter equally as good, and are all from major manufactures that make good tubs. At this point, I would look closely at your dealers. Check their local BBB ratings, and ask for referrals. I would also try to wet test the different ones that you are interested in as this can help you make the decision many times. Good luck.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 10:55:24 am »
The Hot Springs and Caldera have the dedicated circ pump and HS has the non-bypass filtration. Marquis has neither. How important is that?

Personally I really like the circ pump option. It is quieter since the main pump won't need to come on for heating or filtering, it allows for 24 hour ozone output which I really like (as opposed to 4-6 hrs per day) and its a little more energy efficient than the method of using the 2 speed pump for heating/filtering. I don't mean to say that should be the deciding factor but its a plus IMO.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 11:31:13 am by Spatech_tuo »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 10:55:24 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42