What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First Hot Tub Decisions  (Read 12483 times)

Mike Lambert

First Hot Tub Decisions
« on: May 04, 2010, 01:01:26 pm »
Hi,

My wife and I are looking for our first hot tub and based on what dealers we have in the area and how poor some of them are, we have gotten our list down to the following.  I welcome any opinions or comments on the brands and models.  We are hoping to keep this under $8000.

Jacuzzi - J355 or J365 - found out that the local dealer doesn't service them, they hire certified Jacuzzi repair guys.  Not sure if thats good or bad but other than that the dealer seems good.

Arctic - The Cub, signature level.  Really like the dealer, and the product seems really nice.  The dealer does the service so thats good.  But,I have read some of the bad comments about Arctic so not sure.  Also, the price on this may push it out of our budget.

Caldera - Tahitian.  Same dealer as the Arctic so would have no problems with that.  Still waiting for pricing info, but nice looking tub and fits us well.

Dynasty - Liberty.  The dealer does the service and seems good.  Just not sure about the brand and if its a good quality tub.  I've read some reviews and seems like some people have problems with them and the HP ratings on their pumps.  Even the dealer told us that they are a newer company and have had problems, but said that's all behind them.  For the money it seems like you get a lot of extras, like audio, but then I wonder if the quality of the main components goes down to compensate for the difference.

Sundance - ??.  This is the last place we need to visit and look at.  From what I know about the dealer, seems good.  Any thoughts?

We haven't wet tested any of them yet but hoping to this week and weekend.  My wife has shoulder and feet problems and I have had back problems so this started out as more of a therapy purchase but want something the whole family can enjoy.

Thanks, Mike

Hot Tub Forum

First Hot Tub Decisions
« on: May 04, 2010, 01:01:26 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: First Hot Tub Decisions
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 01:48:08 pm »
Arctic, Caldera and Sundance are all good brands IMO so get quotes and check them out to see what you think of the dealer and their products. Jacuzzi is good as well, its best to have a dealer that does the service in house but if he's using a well trained outside service who is getting the parts through that dealer and being reimbursed through that dealer then that can be fine too though it may be a tie-breaker down the line if you are torn on which to get. I don't know Dynasty as well but you already know about the nebulous HP ratings so ignore that. I'm not sure what problems they are referring to, I'd see how long he's been with them and what those problems were (they will always say the problems are in the past). Just tread lightly at this point and wet test when you are ready, that will tell you a lot.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Guru

• Heavenly Times Hot Tubs & Billiards
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 02:14:19 pm »
Good luck with starting your search.  Wet Test!! 

Now as an Arctic Spa Dealer what other options are you looking at, reason why I ask is you might be able to get the spa price down a bit.  But I guess i have to ask what area are you in?  Are you in Canada or US? 

What bad comments have you hear?  Maybe I can help clear up some of your concerns.  Example our jets used to pop out.  Jets were fully warrantied.  The newest version of our jets (almost 2 years).  We have not seen these pop out.  The fixed tab and screw in style do not pop out like the flexible tab jet. 

Good luck with your search!

Mike Lambert

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 02:31:32 pm »
The jets popping out was the biggest problem that I read about and the dealer also mentioned it but said that it has been fixed.  We are in Wisconsin so insulation and energy efficency is important to us and that's what lead us to Arctic and their unique way of insulating the cabinet.  Any opinions on that?  Seems like a good idea not sure how much it actually saves in energy cost but still couldn't hurt. 

As for options, my wife wants a lounge seat and at least some LED lighting and water features.  I would think something around 7' x 7' would be enough.  At this point I'm not limited on actual size because I'm going to build a patio to fit.  Overall I just want a good quality tub that works when we want it to and gets fixed fast when theres a problem.  How hard can that be to find?  ;D

Thanks for the information so far. 

Hot Tub Guru

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 06:59:37 pm »
Mike-

Did you see the new design of the screw in jet?  It works quite nicely!  I'm happier than our customers that the jet problem has been resolved!  We have had zero warranty calls on this screw in jet!  Yes, the insulation works quite well.  My store is at 9000 feet in Dillon, CO and we deliver spas to over 12,000 feet.  The way we insulate also allows for upgrading.  Example the Onzen salt system that came out a few years ago can be added to any Arctic Spa that was purchased prior to the release date. 

The Cub is the way to go as it's a very comfortable tub.  I have the Kodiak (the 8' version of the Cub) in my back yard.  I have tried all the models but I always go back to the Kodiak. 

Good luck and let me know if you have more questions.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 07:21:38 pm »

As for options, my wife wants a lounge seat and at least some LED lighting and water features.  I would think something around 7' x 7' would be enough.  At this point I'm not limited on actual size because I'm going to build a patio to fit.  Overall I just want a good quality tub that works when we want it to and gets fixed fast when theres a problem.  How hard can that be to find?  ;D

Thanks for the information so far.  

Wet testing a spa is always wise but when a lounge is involved it is doubly wise. Lounge seats do not fit everyone the same and it has nothing to do with the brand so if anyone says "yes but our lounge is designed to fit many sizes and avoid floating" understand that what works for one person won't necessarily work for another. MANY people get a lounge with their first spa and find its not all they expected and don't get one the second time around. I think this is less an indictment on lounges specifcially as much as it is that people simply assume the one that looks/feels good dry will be just as good wet. I've seen 2 similarly sized people wet test a spa where one says the lounge is great while the other doesn't like it.

I'm personally a fan of Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis & Sundance so you are looking at good brands IMO and Arctic & Dynasty have ardent followers on this site as well. You should be fine if you concentrate on the dealer and how comfortable you are that he'll be there after the sale (how long in business, how long with that brand, etc.), the ever important wet test and of course what kind of deal can you get along with what is included (get a cover lifter for sure).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 07:33:39 pm by Spatech_tuo »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 08:04:41 am »
Hi,

Dynasty - Liberty.  The dealer does the service and seems good.  Just not sure about the brand and if its a good quality tub.  I've read some reviews and seems like some people have problems with them and the HP ratings on their pumps.  Even the dealer told us that they are a newer company and have had problems, but said that's all behind them.  For the money it seems like you get a lot of extras, like audio, but then I wonder if the quality of the main components goes down to compensate for the difference.

Define newer?  My tub just turned 7 years old, I know they have been around at least 10.  I don't regret my purchase.  The HP ratings aren't a problem per sey, as long as your aware.  HP ratings aside, I get more power to my sore aching muscles in my tub than any other tub I have been in. 

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Mike Lambert

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 09:56:39 am »
Thank you all for your comments!

Let me try and reply to some of your questions.  I have looked at the new jets on the Arctic and they seem muc better and everyone I've talked to agrees.  So that's not really a concern.  I got a quote on the Cub, signature level of $9660.  Does that seem reasonable?

With lounger, we completely agree with the wet test.  We could tell some would not fit us well just sitting in them dry, but we have some wet tests scheduled tonight and this weekend so we can decide for sure which ones work for us.

I honestly don't know when the Dynasty company started making theses tubs, that's just what the dealer told us.  One of the wet tests is the Dynasty Liberty so we will see how it fits us.  How are your electricty costs with the larger pumps?   Or is this just a misleading number and the pumps aren't that much different than all the others out there?

Here are the prices we have been quoted.  They all include a cover, lifter, steps, startup chemicals, delivery and the Sundance includes the GFCI panel.  The Dynasty Liberty has the audio but none of the others do.  Does these seem reasonable?

Arctic Cub: $9660
Caldera Tahitian: $8400 (floor model)
Jacuzzi J355: $8600
Dynasty Liberty: $6200
Sundance Hamilton: $8650

Thanks,
Mike

VTXMAN

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 11:10:16 am »
The Dynasty is at a lower cost with all the extras because quality cost money.

Hot Tub Guru

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 03:53:53 pm »
Does the price for the Cub Signature come with some other options?  Like the Onzen system for example? 

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 07:50:14 am »
The jets popping out was the biggest problem that I read about and the dealer also mentioned it but said that it has been fixed.  

Ahh, yes, I experienced that as well. Those were Waterway's jets also used by Coast and a few others.  I remember a few popping out, the dealer gave me another one and it solved the problem.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Mike Lambert

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 10:23:03 am »
Yes the arctic has the ozone.  The Caldera does as well.  I'm not sure about the other ones.  I'll have to check.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 10:57:36 am »
Personally I'd go with the Caldera, Jacuzzi or Sundance (I can't put Dynasty with those 3 despite the savings and I couldn't pay $1000 more for an Arctic cub though that's just me) but in the end make sure your quotes are apples to apples. Have them quote ozone on all of them and include the subpanel cost on each if its not coming with the spa (should be standard on Caldera though you indicated Sundance as well). Then ignore small price differences, factor in dealer confidence, wet test all your finalists (preferably on the same day or at least same weekend) and get the spa that fits/feels best.

Leisureguy

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 11:15:34 am »
I got a quote on the Cub, signature level of $9660.  Does that seem reasonable?

Mike,

What part of Wisconsin are you located?

spasearcher

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 09:32:12 pm »
Hi Mike,

Have you had a chance to check out the Jacuzzi models yet (wet test)? I just purchased my tub this weekend, and after wet-testing a HS Grandee, Sundance Maxxus and Optima, Arctic Tundra and Beachcomber 750 we ended up going with 2010 Jacuzzi J-480 (floor model so we got a bit of a discount).  I noticed that you mentioned that your wife wants a lounger. Depending on how tall she is/you are (if you are taller than 5'11 it might be too small), the lounger in the 480 was our favourite. Good luck with your search, I know it can take some time...

p.s. Does the Arctic dealer you've visited have a floor model of the new Arctic "Ocean". Talk about MASSIVE!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 09:32:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42