What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Jacuzzi, Sundance, D1, Beachcomber, Coast Spas - Recommendations on reliability?  (Read 11808 times)

Pauly79

Looking for a new hot tub for use here in southern Ontario (Toronto) - so durability and efficiency in winter conditions is important.  Mostly, looking for something high quality with minimal chances of being defective (the unit will be put on a condo balcony with a crane, so there's not much desire to have to re-crane it back down and replace it).

Considering the following units:
- Jacuzzi J-375;
- Jacuzzi J-465;
- Sundance Cameo;
- Sundance Hamilton;
- D1 Chairman;
- Beachcomber 740;
- Coast Spas Helios or Vantage.

Thoughts, as well as competitive pricing info for the above would be good.  I've been to the local dealers for Jacuzzi, Coast and Beachcomber for preliminary info, but have to return to wet test (and go to other dealers as well), which should provide more info on personal preference.   Again, really looking for info on reliability and likelihood of problems.

As an additional note, I really don't like the J-400 cover lift that holds the cover well above the rim of the spa.  I'd like to be able to have it tuck in behind the spa, but not on the ground (i.e. out of the way)

Hot Tub Forum

Vanguard

I can't speak to price much on the different brands.  However, I can tell you that Jacuzzi and Sundance are among the best made spas.  They are made by the same company. 

As far as Beachcomber goes, I've not heard too terribly much about them here in the states.  They've never really made an impact here.  I think their quality is probably okay.  You're in Canada and that seems to be where they've focused much of their efforts.  I know at one time that the owner of Beachcomber had such a thing for Hot Spring that his goal was to beat them and put them out of business.  He even opened a "Distribution" facility on the same street as the Hot Spring manufacturing/office building.  I guess he thought he could get more business that way.  The building was never nothing more than a showroom with some offices.  I'd imagine it is probably still there, but don't know.

I'd stay away from Coast.  I think they are poorly made, are hard to deal with on warranty and customer support.  That is what I've seen from them here. 

Good luck with your shopping.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
 What Vanguard said is sound advice, from the Jacuzzi end in the 400 series you are stuck with the cover going to the back, IMO the J-465 is a waste of a spa.    J-375/ J-365 are some of my top sellers.

Since your in Canada, surprised you didn't mention Arctic brand spa's, pretty popular up there from what I understand may be worth a look as well?   

Water Boy

Looks like all pretty solid spas that you are looking at. I would agree with Jim with you being in Ontario, you might check into the Arctic Spas. It looks like most of the spas you had listed come with loungers in them. So, if you do decide to look at Arctic, you might check out the Kodiak and the Cub. You can see more on those at the link if you would like. www.arcticspas.com

I would also do your research on your local dealers. Ask for referrals, check with you local BBB, and make sure they are good there. The dealer can be as important as the spa you are buying. Also wet test the ones that you like if you are close on a few as that can be a huge factor as well. Good luck in your search!
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

spasearcher

Hi there,

I'm also from Ontario (Whitby) and have been searching for a while and I've narrowed it down to Jacuzzi/Sundance tubs. The models I'm considering are the Jacuzzi 480/470 and Sundance Optima. At this point I'm ruling out the Sundance Maxxus (was on my short-list) only because its a little too "big" for my needs (only 3 of us - me/wife/daughter) and while we'll have the occasional neighbour/family/friends over we are primarily thinking about the 3 of us using the tub on a reg basis. So I've wet tested the Jacuzzi 480 yesterday and hopefully plan to test the J-470 and SD Optima this Friday, then I'll make my decision over the weekend. I'm looking at floor models so hopefully I'll have the tub installed soon once I pull the trigger. I really liked the jets on the 480. Wasn't sure (still not 100%) on the lounger but the size for me is perfect on the 480 (I'm 5'8" so not too tall). If I was taller than 5"11 I'm not sure how this lounger would work for me? Personal preference.

In terms of dealers, I've been really impressed with our local Jacuzzi dealer while performing my "due diligence". The 2 young fellas that run the store really have a vested interest in their customers/Jacuzzi owners and they seem honest. While in the store I spoke to a few Jacuzzi owners and they had nothing but good things to say about the local dealer here in Whitby. While the tub is an important decision, I think its really important to research the dealer and make sure that they aren't just about the sale of the tubs, but excel in the "after-sales" service and assistance dept. They also repair the tubs themselves and don't send out 3rd-party repairmen. Impressive.

I've personally had bad experiences with Coast Spas. My dad (unfortunately) has one (he paid over $12K for it a few years ago) and while they look flashy on the outside and are BIG spas I don't think they are well built. He's had numerous problems with the pumps/leaks and faulty jets that popped out regularly, and because he's remotely located even though he still had the warranty he had to pay a $150 trip charge per repair visit. They may have updated their tubs since then but I'm just giving you my experience re: Coast.

So I've still got to wet test the Sundance spas - I've been to the local Whitby dealer but also visited the store in Newmarket (they had the Maxxus in the showroom in Newmarket - its BIG). Both dealers also seem reliable. As well, you probably know that Jacuzzi/Sundance are part of the same company so their tubs are very similar (jets are unique to both of them, and the filtration system is different however).

So much to look at eh? Its like buying a care! I was overwhelmed at first....

Good luck with your search!

waterishot

I too am in the process of shopping for a spa in the Oshawa area.  Have checked out the Arctic, Beachcomber and Sundance stores.  Leaning towards the Whitby Arctic Dealer at this point, seems they are about to go under some renovations and double the size of their location so they have some good promos on their floor models.  I like the product plus a growing business makes me think business is going well and they will be around for a while.

Will keep you posted on my findings...hoping to make my final decision by the weekend.

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42