What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I need all the help I can get!  (Read 4919 times)

pinkx3

I need all the help I can get!
« on: April 01, 2010, 12:51:26 pm »
I would really, really appreciate any advice or opinions since I'm fairly new to this experience!   :)  I've been trying to convince my husband to buy a hot tub for over a year.  I think I've just about got him convinced; it will really come down to the price.

We live in an area with only 1 dealer in town (no competition).  They sell Caldera and only had 3 on the floor, one had water.  If possible we'd like to save $$ by getting a '09 model.  The dealer had a '09 C45 he quoted $7200 for.  In addition he also had a used Hot Springs Envoy '09- only a few months old supposedly.  Since it's used and he's not a Hot Springs dealer (he bought the tub from some guy who remodeled?, and the Hot Springs dealership went under in our town last year), there was no warranty.  When I expressed concern about that, he said since HS and Caldera are sister companies, he'd give me a 1 yr warranty.  Price was $5500, tax free.  Also, he told me that all warranties go with the owner, not the tub, so once we sell the house in a few years, the warranty wouldn't matter anyway.  I don't think I'd be able to wet test either of these options unfortunately...

Both my brother and in-laws have a HS, Grandee and Sovereign.  I am well aware of the HS quality and have enjoyed their tubs.  Is the Envoy that much different than the Sovereign?  I'm hesitant to buy used (what if it's a lemon?), but the price definitely seems good.  What questions/concerns should I have?
Also, is the Caldera priced right?  I initially was not interested in the C45, but it does appear to be a high quality tub..

I've already learned bunches coming here, thank you all so much!

Hot Tub Forum

I need all the help I can get!
« on: April 01, 2010, 12:51:26 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: I need all the help I can get!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 01:45:15 pm »
Since a new Envoy probably sells for $8500 to $9500 +tax new with full warranty I'd say $5500 tax included with a 1 year store warranty sounds about right for a 1 year old spa. I know you're worried about buying used but thats also why the spa is that much less than new after only 1 year and that is a popular Hot Springs model. Having said that, even with the price being pretty good, if thats what you want why not make a counter offer of $5k or so and see if they take it; they'll respond one of three ways: yes, counter your counter, or just plain "no, we can't go lower". Worse case you're right back at the $5500 price.

The Caldera price sounds about right but I'm not sure if that was his initial price or what he came down to after some discussion but again give it a shot and counter offer if thats the one that is wanted. Its about the time when dealers want to have 09s moved off their showrom floow for the 2010's so he may be willing to move further and there's only one way to find out.

To ME, if someone gives me a price on anything (computer, mattress, spa) and I don't try to bargain and buy based on their given price I'd always wonder if a few words would have saved me money. If I counter and they don't budge then I at least feel better that I tried. Many times I get a better offer just by politely letting them know what I want to pay and giving the impression that I just may walk.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 05:00:02 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 06:13:38 pm »
Both my brother and in-laws have a HS, Grandee and Sovereign.  I am well aware of the HS quality and have enjoyed their tubs.  Is the Envoy that much different than the Sovereign?  I'm hesitant to buy used (what if it's a lemon?), but the price definitely seems good.  What questions/concerns should I have?
Also, is the Caldera priced right?  I initially was not interested in the C45, but it does appear to be a high quality tub..

I've already learned bunches coming here, thank you all so much!

The Envoy is deeper, it has a nicer water feature (IMO), and has 2 jet pumps as well as the circ pump.
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

pinkx3

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 11:54:04 pm »
Thanks for the info.  Is the information re: the warranty not transferring correct?  I think we're going to take a road trip Sat to the closest HS dealer to see if they have any '09s available to wet test.  I figure it won't hurt to explore our options. 

As far as the negotiating aspects: my husband is soo much better at that than I.  I usually wind up almost feeling guilty or something for wanting a better deal.  Of course, that's why I'M the one here asking questions, doing research, etc. We make a good team  ;)

I'm not sure what filter system (is that the proper term) the used Envoy has?  How much more is the "diamond" active oxygen/ salt water type rather than the standard "chemical" one?  Perhaps that might also be a factor to consider...

Thanks again for any additonal information!

pinkx3

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 11:56:05 pm »
Another question:  If I get the serial number from the used Envoy, and contact the company, could they tell me if/when it's been repaired and/or serviced?  Is there any way to find out that kind of information?

Flyonthewall

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 07:19:59 pm »
i don't think that (repair) info would be available.  you would want the serial # to know if adding the salt system was an option.  only envoys made from about august 09 on are compatible.  either way it is a great spa, and the 1 year should expose any lemonious issues.

Vanguard

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 10:42:51 pm »
If you have the serial number, you can check to see if it has ever been registered.  Best to have the dealer do it, though.  If its never been registered or serviced under warranty, the warranty will still be there.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

pinkx3

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 01:29:28 am »
That's a really good idea Vanguard!  Thanks for the advice.  Certainly no harm in asking, right?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 01:29:28 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42