What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: SpAudio Transducer Problems - Update: Problem May Be Resolved!  (Read 9485 times)

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
(See Update at Post #8 below)

(Update #2:  Problem may still be there... >:()

I got some disturbing news today from my dealer.  A few weeks ago, I noticed a rumbling sound in the SpAudio II transducer under the fountain on my 06 Envoy.  The rumbling was intermittent and not related to the music levels or sound coming out of the speaker.  The right transducer sounded fine.  The external speakers work fine.

So, I had my dealer's tech come out today to take a look at it.  He left a note saying BOTH transducers needed to be replaced........at a cool $300.00 each for a total of $600.00.  The diagnosis was done without removing any panels or otherwise inspecting the actual units.  And now, I have no sound at all coming from the right transducer.  The external SpAudio II speakers still play fine.

Needless to say, I'm a bit perturbed at the moment and need some ideas as to how I can be sure of what I'm being told.  FWIW, the tub was delivered in November of 06.  The sound system has never been blasted.  I'm not into hard rock or dance music.  Normally listen to easy type music when I'm in the tub.  

Since there is no warranty, I'm seriously thinking about removing the panels this weekend and see whats up inside.  (I found a .pdf of the SpAudio installation instructions online which tell me how to remove the panels)

Any ideas?  Suggestions?
I'm pretty bummed out right now....
Rich
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 07:54:46 am by Richs100 »
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

VTXMAN

Re: SpAudio Transducer Problems - Both Go At Once???
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 06:22:57 pm »
They are easy to replace you can find them with a magnet on the shell side. You should be able to find them on the net in the $150 range. Make sure to get the correct ohms.

Pathfinder

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 06:35:59 pm »
I'd check all of your inputs, line filters, connections first.

Richs100

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 09:09:23 pm »
Thanks guys.  I really appreciate the help and am gonna follow your suggestions.

After thinking about this overnight, I can't see a downside to trying some self-help first.  The sound coming out of the left transducer is clear as a bell aside from the separate rumbling sound.  And the right transducer was just working a few days ago.  I think there's a good chance there is something else going on.

I was going to pull the side panels off the tub this weekend, but we are in the middle of "Noah's deluge" back here.  Once it stops raining, I'll pull the panels and take a look inside.  If the transducers are bad, I'm hoping they will have some technical info somewhere on them so I can find some comparable aftermarket units at a more reasonable price.

I love my Envoy (my old Prodigy lasted over 12 years), but I am pretty upset at the idea that both transducers could supposedly go bad in less than 4 years (and both at the same time).  When I bought the tub, I knew I was over-paying for the SpAudio II, but was willing to do so since Watkins had chosen this system for their tubs and I believed it would certainly last longer than it has.  But after thinking about this, I'm getting more upset with the "quick-fire" diagnosis by the dealer and the ridiculously expensive repair estimate.   

Sorry, but just venting.  I'll likely be back to beg some more advice soon!

Rich

Pathfinder

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 10:51:08 pm »
If indeed the transducer is gone I believe the transducers are made by Clark synthesis.

http://www.clarksynthesis.com/clark_synthesis_products.html#AW339

Richs100

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 06:23:09 am »
Thanks, Pathfinder. 
That link really helps me a lot.
I'll keep you all posted on what I find once I'm able to get into tub.

Rich

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 08:41:58 am »
Keep us posted. I think I have a couple of these units gathering dust in my warehouse - I would be glad to make you a good price and get them into use. Be sure the 'rumbler' is not simply loose. Don't tighten them by just grabbing and turning - put a wrench on the flats provided near the center of the unit on the hard-to-reach side  ;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Richs100

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 09:12:57 am »
Thanks Chas.  Good to know.

I had to delay the hot tub tear-down so I could finish the Ark. 
It just won't stop raining back here!

Rich

Richs100

Re: SpAudio Transducer Problems - Update: Problem May Be Resolved!
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 12:24:36 pm »
UPDATE - PROBLEM RESOLVED??!!

This morning, the rain let up a bit so I got into the tub for a soak and started messing with the SpAudio system.  I changed the CD in the player and, BOOM!  The problems are gone.  Both transducers are playing normally.  No rumble!  I let it play for about an hour and swapped out a couple of other CD's without a problem.   I've never seen this before, but maybe the CD in the player just went bad.  It was a CD-R burned with my favorites so it's been in the player all winter (including three blizzards).

Man, I hope this was the problem!  If so, my faith in HotSpring has been restored.  As to the diagnosing tech.....not so much!  
On the upside, I now know more about the internal workings of a SpAudio II system than I ever wanted to know.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my distress call!

Fingers crossed....
Rich

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 12:59:31 pm »
 As to the diagnosing tech.....not so much!  

It may be that the issues he saw was typical for transducer problems but he needs to work on his "diagnosing". You should let the dealer know so the next time they run into this type thing they'll take the extra 60 seconds to swap out the disk and try that first.
At the same time, they may say they did swap out the disk without luck and simply put yours back in when done, some things can be intermittent so hopefully this doesn't return in time.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Richs100

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 01:28:16 pm »
You are absolutely right Spatech.  And the more I over-think this, the more I am beginning to think it may be an intermittent problem. 

What bugs me is, if the CD was the culprit, why did the external speakers always play the "bad" CD?  I'm gonna clean the CD lenses in the unit and follow-up on Pathfinder's suggestion to go over all the connections and filters I can get to.  But at least it doesn't look like the Transducers are shot. (Big Relief, though its good to know Chas has my back on them!)

BTW, I ran across some stuff on the Net called "Deoxit", both spray and liquid.  It's supposed to be good for cleaning electrical contacts.  Anyone familiar with this stuff?  I was going to use it to clean up and protect any exposed connections I can get to.  Fortunately, I found the Sony "keys" necessary to remove the deck from its holder so I can take a look at the connections at the back of the deck.  Good thing I never throw anything away.

As I said, fingers crossed right now!

Rich

96SC

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 01:34:47 pm »
UPDATE - PROBLEM RESOLVED??!!

This morning, the rain let up a bit so I got into the tub for a soak and started messing with the SpAudio system.  I changed the CD in the player and, BOOM!  The problems are gone.  Both transducers are playing normally.  No rumble!  I let it play for about an hour and swapped out a couple of other CD's without a problem.   I've never seen this before, but maybe the CD in the player just went bad.  It was a CD-R burned with my favorites so it's been in the player all winter (including three blizzards).

Man, I hope this was the problem!  If so, my faith in HotSpring has been restored.  As to the diagnosing tech.....not so much!  
On the upside, I now know more about the internal workings of a SpAudio II system than I ever wanted to know.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my distress call!

Fingers crossed....
Rich

When I read the above post it reminded me of some burned CDs that make strange, not rumbling but ticking, noises in our home audio system.  Not all burned CDs just a few.  Glad you saved a few (quite a few) $$ and can now use that CD as a skeet or rear view mirror decoration.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Richs100

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 08:03:09 am »
Some rumbling is still there, but both transducers are working.  Very intermittent. 
I'm gonna pull off the side panels and clean all the connectors to see if that helps.

I'm also having a heck of a time figuring out how to pull the Sony unit out of the SpAudio compartment.  The Sony "keys" fit, but I think there is a screw at the back of the unit attaching it to the compartment door.  I won't pull out.  I wanted to check those connections first. 

Do I have to completely disassemble the SpAudio Door and the siliconed trim around it to service the unit?  There seems like there should be an easier way, but looking at the original installation instructions, I can't seem to figure it out.

Rich

buffip

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 05:25:47 pm »
Rich,
Back in the day, I had a Sony deck installed as well... wanted to pull it out using the key...no dice. 
In my case, your assumption is correct.  The darn thing IS screwed into the tub.  The Only way it comes out is rip out the door.  At least thats how it was with mine :o
LJ

Richs100

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 06:28:26 pm »
The installation instructions do indicate that the Sony deck is attached to the SpAudio housing assembly with a "4mm screw and star washer".

Hey all you dealers out there......
When your tech has to replace the Sony deck, does he really have to completely disassemble the entire housing assembly and trim to remove the deck from the side of the tub?  Is there a secret lever to press to get the door to open all the way so I can access the back of the CD player? 
I need a trade secret!!!   ;) ;D

Rich

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 06:28:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42