What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: white algae?  (Read 12153 times)

96SC

white algae?
« on: February 27, 2010, 12:58:23 pm »
I noticed our water has white, what looks like dust, floating on or near the surface.  I can't collect any of it with my fingers and it is way too small to get with a net.  I did a search on white algae but it is described as white flakes, none of this is flake like.

When I first noticed it I gave the tub a super dichlor shock but it doesn't look like the amount has deminished, I cleaned the filters, too.

Does this sound like white Algae?  From what I have read, if it is, a dump and swirl-away is next.

Thanks in advance.
Jim
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Hot Tub Forum

white algae?
« on: February 27, 2010, 12:58:23 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: white algae?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 05:29:55 pm »
Search under water mold on here..you may find your answer
Support your dealer so they can support you!

96SC

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 08:50:55 pm »
Some of the posts for water mold came up when I previously searched white algae.  Looks like shock and drain is next as I shocked the tub, cleaned the filters and have a normal chlorine reading 4 days after the initial shock.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 09:34:41 pm »
If memory serves me right, Chas has a procedure for this....hopefully he will check in...
Support your dealer so they can support you!

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 02:44:26 pm »
Biofilm (if that is what it is) is very resistant to chlorine.  The easiest way to get rid of it is to get 5 gallons of household bleach and dump that in the tub.  Put all diverters in the middle and open all the air controls.  Turn on all the pumps for about 10 minutes then turn them all off for a minute or two.  Repeat that process 3 or 4 times then drain the tub (do not leave the water in there more than an hour).  Refill and you should be fine.

The purpose of the bleach is to get the chlorine level up over 100ppm.  This will not only break up the biofilm, but it will hopefully burn it up as well. 

zroger73

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 08:57:18 pm »
FIVE gallons? Wow! That seems like a lot.

This is not the most pleasant potential cause for most people to honestly own up to, but I've heard of semen resulting in something similar to what you described. It doesn't seem to go away with either shocking or filter cleaning alone. A water change followed by a thorough rinse and good filter cleaning should take care of it.
2008 Hot Spring Sovereign II with Tri-X filters
Ozone, Nature2, and dichlor only

chem geek

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 10:33:57 pm »
Use of a strong enzyme product such as Spa System Flush can get rid of biofilms and also other organics for a rather thorough cleaning of a spa.  If you are going to change the water anyway, it might be more efficient than superchlorinating.  It's not normally needed once the water is set and chlorine is used regularly, but when things have gone bad it's a pretty thorough cleanser.  Some people use Swirl Away, but it seems from forum reports that Spa System Flush might be a bit more thorough.

Flyonthewall

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 06:30:22 pm »
i love spa system flush.  i've tried many others but thats the one that does the job best imo.  its a good idea to use it every few drainings regardless of whether or not it solves this problem.  it doesn't sound like the white mold i've seen (mucous in the filter and the appearance like tissues were introduced into the water).  a customer recently brought in something more like what you are describing.  in our opinion it wasn't mold, but the flushing procedure seems to have solved his problem just the same.  remember to flush out jet openings and the filter compartment as it drains to get it all. 

96SC

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 06:30:36 am »
Here's the latest and all seems well.
I did a superchlorination twice over a week period and did a Swirl away treatment. (We had already bought the Swirl before another item was suggested).  Changed the water and now waiting for the results.  I looked yesterday and things looked normal.
Unlike a lot of folks with water mold/white algae I never did see any build up in the filters. 
Thanks everyone for the advice.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 07:26:41 am by 96SC »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 06:30:36 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42