What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What's the best hot tub?  (Read 12985 times)

SRG963

What's the best hot tub?
« on: February 22, 2010, 07:38:19 pm »
I live in Charlotte NC and I'm wanting the best bang for the buck hot tub.  Should I go though Costco or Sams?

I'd like something that seats around 6 people, has a lounge chair, and plenty (and I mean plenty) of jets.  I want a dependable, energy efficient, and long lasting tub.

Please suggest the best hot tub for the buck :)

Hot Tub Forum

What's the best hot tub?
« on: February 22, 2010, 07:38:19 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: What's the best hot tub?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 08:42:30 pm »
There are several tub manufacturers that meet your criteria..but you won't find their tubs at Costco or Sam's club. Read through the many posts on here and use the search function. You will discover that dependable, energy efficient and long lasting would probably more suitably fit the major tub manufacturers rather than the off brands.

Welcome to the forum and I am sure you will hear from dealers and tub owners who can tell you the direction that you need to go to find the best bang for your bucks!!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 08:51:04 pm »
This has to be a joke  ;D
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 05:43:49 am »
I live in Charlotte NC and I'm wanting the best bang for the buck hot tub.  Should I go though Costco or Sams?

I'd like something that seats around 6 people, has a lounge chair, and plenty (and I mean plenty) of jets.  I want a dependable, energy efficient, and long lasting tub.

While you will find loads of jets and lots of flash at Costco or Sam's. You will miss out on dependable, energy effecient and long lasting. In my mind the D1 Nautilis is the quietest, most dependable, comfortable, energy effecient, longest lasting tub out there. The best bang for MY buck. But yours could be different. Test some tubs out and see what you like. I have seen 20-30 jets feel better than 60-80
Retired

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 11:56:22 am »

Costco has sold many spas the last few years; some seated 6, some had lounges and they all had many jets. What they didn't have was dependability, energy efficiency and were not known for longevity. I don't have faith that their current offerings will be any better.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Guru

• Heavenly Times Hot Tubs & Billiards
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 12:12:22 pm »
Buy from a local hot tub dealer.  Wet test!!!!

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 04:32:11 pm »

Interesting - I also live in Charlotte, NC.  After looking at nearly EVERYTHING possible out there, I bought a Jacuzzi J375.  At one time I considered opening up a Hot Tub company but my "real job" got in the way of that plan.  Where do you live in Charlotte?  What is your budget?  How many are you trying to fit into it?  Why are you buying it (for yourself to enjoy or to throw parties...both are the right answer).  Luckily our climate is fairly moderate but you will still want a unit with good insulating features so that your electric bill only rises $15 or $20/month vs. the $80/month it could go up if you buy one of the lower-end spas like the Leisure bay from Rec Warehouse...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:39:04 pm by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

SRG963

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 05:13:27 pm »
Thanks for the replies.....and no, this isn't a joke :o

I'm out in Fort Mill and buying for both, but mainly myself to relax :)  I'd like to stay under 5k installed.  I was looking at the store in Pineville by Arby's (not Rec) and they looked pretty good.  They really pushed that they were the "Best" hands down.  The prices seem to reflect this as well, lol.

I'd love to pick up a demo with a warranty.....

Late,
Shawn

Interesting - I also live in Charlotte, NC.  After looking at nearly EVERYTHING possible out there, I bought a Jacuzzi J375.  At one time I considered opening up a Hot Tub company but my "real job" got in the way of that plan.  Where do you live in Charlotte?  What is your budget?  How many are you trying to fit into it?  Why are you buying it (for yourself to enjoy or to throw parties...both are the right answer).  Luckily our climate is fairly moderate but you will still want a unit with good insulating features so that your electric bill only rises $15 or $20/month vs. the $80/month it could go up if you buy one of the lower-end spas like the Leisure bay from Rec Warehouse...

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 05:41:30 pm »
Have you EVER met a salesman that said what they were selling wasn't "the best" ????
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 07:53:41 pm »
they sell the best,,,,wow watch out for all the other dealers in the u.s ....no one is the best , they may have better features, better price , better salesman, doesn't mean the best,,,,i would check out some other dealers also...but getting what you want under 5k pretty tough,,,, check out the usual top tier, D1, Hot Springs, Sundance, Jacuzzi, Marquis for starters....if you check some of the older posts here it may help with your questions... but i would stay away from the big box stores.....
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 10:07:46 pm »
The $5K price point is a tough one to hit.  Very few of the "name brand" manufacturer's have competitive options at those levels.  However, when I was shopping that was also my "High Water Mark" at the time.  I did a LOT of research and some of it may still be on this or other Hot Tub online forums.  Just search on my moniker... ndabunka ... and see what you can find.  A quick summary is that while there are $5K tubs, they are often worth exactly that...$5K.

When I was trying to decide what "under $5K" product I would have carried in the store I was planning, I had it isolated down to a round "Viking" spa a that time as it was one of the few, truly low cost spas that also had some decent water movement and was well insulated Example: http://www.familyleisure.com/Spas-Hot-Tubs/Royale (Disclaimer: I don't know that dealer from jack, it was simply the first one I found with the Viking model under $5K that you can probably get for $4,200).  There are more options these days so you may want to see if a base model Limelight Flair by Hot Springs (See Chas's post in this same forum) or Bear Cub (http://www.arcticspas.com/index.php/hot-tubs/cub.html) or J325 or J335 might all fit in that price range (especially a "scratch and dent" model).  There is also an innovative company called "Bullfrog" that make a pretty cool smaller spa called the Tadpole in your price range (that should still be OK in the Charlotte climate).

However, don't even CONSIDER a scratch and dent or return from one of the "big Box" stores like Costco or others as you simply don't know why the prior owner returned it.  You could well buy one that has problems and they then try to send out a tech to service it after it's at your home.  Trust me, when you buy one, the LAST thing you want imposing on your "1st soak" is the bad vibes you would get from something like that.  I am up by Concord Mills so not really in your area but feel free to PM me for any more information I might be able to provide and I'll give you my .02.  If you see something in Charlotte and want an "expert" (term used lightly) to come and check out your finalist, just PM me and we can exchange email and cell #'s).

I'm out in Fort Mill and buying for both, but mainly myself to relax :)  I'd like to stay under 5k installed.  I was looking at the store in Pineville by Arby's (not Rec) and they looked pretty good.  They really pushed that they were the "Best" hands down.  The prices seem to reflect this as well, lol.

Late,
Shawn
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 10:20:34 pm by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

dasno

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 10:53:28 pm »
The $5K price point is a tough one to hit.  Very few of the "name brand" manufacturer's have competitive options at those levels.  However, when I was shopping that was also my "High Water Mark" at the time.  I did a LOT of research and some of it may still be on this or other Hot Tub online forums.  Just search on my moniker... ndabunka ... and see what you can find.  A quick summary is that while there are $5K tubs, they are often worth exactly that...$5K.

When I was trying to decide what "under $5K" product I would have carried in the store I was planning, I had it isolated down to a round "Viking" spa a that time as it was one of the few, truly low cost spas that also had some decent water movement and was well insulated Example: http://www.familyleisure.com/Spas-Hot-Tubs/Royale (Disclaimer: I don't know that dealer from jack, it was simply the first one I found with the Viking model under $5K that you can probably get for $4,200).  There are more options these days so you may want to see if a base model Limelight Flair by Hot Springs (See Chas's post in this same forum) or Bear Cub (http://www.arcticspas.com/index.php/hot-tubs/cub.html) or J325 or J335 might all fit in that price range (especially a "scratch and dent" model).  There is also an innovative company called "Bullfrog" that make a pretty cool smaller spa called the Tadpole in your price range (that should still be OK in the Charlotte climate).

However, don't even CONSIDER a scratch and dent or return from one of the "big Box" stores like Costco or others as you simply don't know why the prior owner returned it.  You could well buy one that has problems and they then try to send out a tech to service it after it's at your home.  Trust me, when you buy one, the LAST thing you want imposing on your "1st soak" is the bad vibes you would get from something like that.  I am up by Concord Mills so not really in your area but feel free to PM me for any more information I might be able to provide and I'll give you my .02.  If you see something in Charlotte and want an "expert" (term used lightly) to come and check out your finalist, just PM me and we can exchange email and cell #'s).

Late,
Shawn

I found the La Palma for $5000 and the Mallorca for $4699.  These two tubs are the 2009 models from the Hot Spot line of spas made by hotsprings.  As I am purchasing the La Palma I think I am getting an O.K. spa.  Definitely is not the same as buying a top of the line hot springs spa.  The La Palma sold for originally in the store for approxametly $6199.  Not sure about the Mallorca.

Might be worth while to see if you can find any 2009 models of any of the better line of spas in your area that you could get a deal on.

psuKinger

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 06:03:41 pm »
I bought a Caldera Geneva about 6 months ago and the wife and I (and any other family and friends who have gotten in it with us) love it.

I'm not sure if it's what your looking for, as I paid significantly more than 5g's for it... but I just wanted to throw that out there.  The title to your post is "What's the best hot tub"... so I thought I'd share my experiences/opinion on the subject.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 12:23:59 pm »
This has to be a joke  ;D

Well, he indeed does appear to be from the Charlotte area and is site is called "What's the best" I didn't name it, and don't really believe there is a single best for everyone.

Shawn,

What brands are in your area.  Most of us will agree,  you probably won't find the best at Costco.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hottubber1

• hottubbing under the stars...
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 02:36:12 pm »
Regardless of where you live. There must be a spa retailer within 30 miles. I would try to see what's available through those dealers before I would even think about a "Big Box" store.
I think I can speak for most spa dealers when I say "from whom you buy is sometime more important than what you buy".  ;)For spa retailers, this is their livelyhood, I think you'd do much better, longterm, if you went that route.

You most likely will pay a little more but that is the price you pay for sanity. ???

Hottubber1 8)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 02:36:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42