What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cost/hassle of repairing leaks in full-foam insulation?  (Read 40811 times)

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
Re: Cost/hassle of repairing leaks in full-foam insulation?
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2010, 02:41:14 pm »
well put ndabunka

i sell both styles. i do prefer full foam but that is me . both spas do the same thing they heat water. they move water. they are enjoyable. i believe it is just a personal preference on what each person choices. there are arguments for both sides, that will never end. over time any spa is going to have a leak. but each dealer can handle it different in helping the consumer repair it. so it does not have to be negative issue on the spa.
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2010, 02:41:14 pm »

Water Boy

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2010, 04:05:40 pm »
well put ndabunka

i sell both styles. i do prefer full foam but that is me . both spas do the same thing they heat water. they move water. they are enjoyable. i believe it is just a personal preference on what each person choices. there are arguments for both sides, that will never end. over time any spa is going to have a leak. but each dealer can handle it different in helping the consumer repair it. so it does not have to be negative issue on the spa.

Well said ejf, well said. To each his own. As long as you buy from a solid reputable manufacturer, you should be fine either way.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2010, 07:12:02 pm »
Leave it to someone to make a perfectly logical, sensible post...there goes this thread  ;D ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2010, 08:43:21 pm »

over time any spa is going to have a leak.

As the thread is about FF vs TP, relevant leaking to this thread would be plumbing leaks that would be within the FF. In this case, I have to COMPLETELY disagree with this statement, and it SHOULD be, over time any spa may develop a leak leak.

I've seen many many many many spas well over 15 or 20 years old, that other then from the equipment, have NEVER EVER had a leak!
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

gordholio99

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2010, 10:28:19 pm »
Oringal poster here again. I thought I'd interject to say I have a 23-year-old 4-jet Beachcomber. The spa pack kicked the proverbial bucket a month ago (it's REALLY dead, and it was the second spa pack in the history of the tub), but the tub itself remained leak-free until the end.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2010, 10:37:09 am »
Wow that is amazing..no wonder you are searching for another tub that can give you that kind of long dependable life! 

I know what I have found with most appliances is that they just don't make them like they used to..the old saying is so true. The Sears sales person told me to expect to get 5 years out of a new microwave...the one that I MAY replace is already 12 years old and the washer that I got 6 years ago is on it's last leg...it replaced a 20 year old washer that NEVER had a repair before it died. Although technology has made things better in many respects, I think the life of the things we buy is definately much shorter! What's up with that?
Support your dealer so they can support you!

gordholio99

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2010, 12:26:07 pm »
In the case of my Beachcomber, I think the fact that it has just 4 jets has something to do with it. :-) Four jets and one light bulb. And pneumatic controls. That's why I get so nervous looking at new tubs. 40 jets? LEDs? Topside electronics? So much to go wrong!

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2010, 07:30:44 pm »
technology changes and also gets better, my tub has digital controls. 14 years old, i have replaced my pillows, one pump seal, and now going to replace my cover....i would not be afraid of the spas of today....
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2010, 08:56:20 am »
I want to add to Doc's reply about fixing a suction leak: I have had good luck using a similar technique  by creating a partial vacuum in the system with my trusty shop vac. Obviously this can only work on an empty spa  ::) Once I find the leak, which is usually in a glue joint, I clean it off really well, then I put the shop vac on the closest jet and test it with water. If I can get a good pull, I dry everything off and move right to the primer and glue.

If I can't get a good pull, I may have to tape off some of the jets on that same line. In some cases I end up taping off ALL the jets in the spa, esp. in a smaller model spa, and put the vac hose on the filter. In a HS product the shop vac fits over the filter standpipe perfectly, and a standard PVC threaded plug will close off the second filter (most HS tubs have twin filters per jet pump). You don't need to hermetically seal the whole system: if you have a good, strong vac you can get plenty of draw for this just by putting the hose on the closest jet, and you can boost that draw by taping off as few as one or two nearby jets. It works.

BTW - there's no reason this would not work on pressure OR suction leaks. It might be faster to use the pump to draw a partial vacuum, or the shop vac might be easier - each job is just a bit different.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2010, 08:56:20 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42