What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: is this a good price for a Hot Springs Envoy  (Read 29922 times)

jb4265

is this a good price for a Hot Springs Envoy
« on: January 23, 2010, 10:23:01 pm »
I just got back from the HS dealer and got a quote on a 2010 Envoy which he does not have in stock yet.  I was quoted $8695.00 for the tub, cover, stairs and delivery.  If I want the lift for the cover its an addtional $395.00  I have done a lot of looking, shopping, etc, and I really think the HS is heads and tails above the competition.  (my opinion only)  I was quoted $7200 for a Jacuzzi J365 which is a 2009, plus i would have to buy the gfi box.  (additonal $100.00)   That included everything that the Envoy did and the cover lift although the cover lift on the Jacuzzi was much cheaper than the one on the Envoy.   I know these are 2 different tubs but was looking for anyone's opinion that has been shopping for either tub. 

Hot Tub Forum

is this a good price for a Hot Springs Envoy
« on: January 23, 2010, 10:23:01 pm »

Spiderman

Re: is this a good price for a Hot Springs Envoy
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 02:00:20 pm »
That is a great price for an Envoy!!  I'm assuming the cover lifter would be the Cover Cradle?  The Cover Cradle is a great lifter and is made for HotSpring covers.  I've installed non-HotSpring lifters and most are pretty junkie. 
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 01:58:28 pm »
 7200 for the Jacuzzi J-365 is a ridiculously low price,2009 to 10 are the same spa, not sure I would take the envoy at 1400 more. Even if they do include the GFCI which they almost have to or charge you for it.

As far as lifts go if your getting the covermate 1 or 3 both are nice lifts and we see very little problems if any at all.

Have you wet tested? If so and your happy with what works then buy it, both are very nice spa's.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 06:16:04 pm »
I just got back from the HS dealer and got a quote on a 2010 Envoy which he does not have in stock yet.  I was quoted $8695.00 for the tub, cover, stairs and delivery.  If I want the lift for the cover its an addtional $395.00  I have done a lot of looking, shopping, etc, and I really think the HS is heads and tails above the competition.  (my opinion only)  I was quoted $7200 for a Jacuzzi J365 which is a 2009, plus i would have to buy the gfi box.  (additonal $100.00)   That included everything that the Envoy did and the cover lift although the cover lift on the Jacuzzi was much cheaper than the one on the Envoy.   I know these are 2 different tubs but was looking for anyone's opinion that has been shopping for either tub.  

That price seems very low for an Envoy and in fact just before reading this post I read the previous post "About to buy and need some experienced help" which was from someone who bought an Envoy for more so it would seem you've got a great offer on a very good spa.

As far as lifters go, the Hot Spring lifter with the shocks is more expensive but is very good and should last. I also like the Covermate III but am not a big fan of the Covermate I when used on larger spas as its not very sturdy when the cover gets large IMO and won't hold up as well over time (on smaller spas I think its fine).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 04:29:42 pm by Spatech t.u.o. »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

jb4265

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 07:49:08 pm »
Thanks for the reply Jim.  There a a couple reasons I would pay more for the envoy.  IMO, I think the HS is a better made spa.  I am not saying the Jacuzzi is not a well made spa I jus think the HS is better.  I like the lounger in the HS and the 365 does not have this type of seating.  I have not wet tested either because I want to wet test on the same day and the Envoy won't be in for 3-4 weeks.  Something else I liked about the Envoy is that it operates on a 50 circuit and so does the 365.  The difference is that in the HS you can run all pumps/jets and the water still heats but in the 365 it does not.  I have been told you can get a 60amp box for the 365 and switch the jumper which will then operate everything at once.  I understand that the electric usage goes up as well.  The warranties are similiar but after a year you get billed $50 for the repairman to come out.  With HS its $25 after 2yrs.  (not really a deciding factor but is part of the whole decision)  The jacuzzi is for sale at the "great escape" which is a chain store by us and he says there is only 4 left and then the 2010's go way up.  Kind of a sales pitch maybe???  Hopefully the will still have the 365 when the HS comes in so I can test the same day.  Again, thanks for your input and more is always welcome as I am no expert. 

jb4265

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 07:56:02 pm »
Thanks spatech,
The guy at the HS dealer said although they love selling their HS tubs, they don't depend on that to make a living.  They have been selling them for several years but are also the areas (Rockford,Il) largest inground pool contractor which is what they really specialize in.  He also said that the industry is down 75% from 2 years ago and the prices of most of the HS has not gone up much in those 2 years.  I did read that post you spoke about and was amazed at the $10900 price tag.  This dealer has been in business for over 20 years so I do trust them.  I can't wait for the Envoy to come in to give it a test drive.  Hopefully the 365 will still be available but if not I will look for a 2010 to wet test to make sure the HS is the way I want to go.  This forum has been an awesome way to educate myself.  Even though the 2 salesman at Jacuzzi and HS have been pretty good, who better to trust than you folks that have been in the business or actually have owned a tub for a while.  Thanks again.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 11:09:53 am »
This dealer has been in business for over 20 years so I do trust them.  I can't wait for the Envoy to come in to give it a test drive.  Hopefully the 365 will still be available but if not I will look for a 2010 to wet test to make sure the HS is the way I want to go.  This forum has been an awesome way to educate myself.  Even though the 2 salesman at Jacuzzi and HS have been pretty good, who better to trust than you folks that have been in the business or actually have owned a tub for a while.  Thanks again.

Wet testing is the way to go but the best idea is to wet test them on the same day so each is fresh in your mind when making comparisons.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 01:52:12 pm »
  I like the lounger in the HS and the 365 does not have this type of seating.   That's why they have the J-355 with the lounger.   ;)

The difference is that in the HS you can run all pumps/jets and the water still heats but in the 365 it does not.  I have been told you can get a 60amp box for the 365 and switch the jumper which will then operate everything at once.  I understand that the electric usage goes up as well.

This all true for your info, however going from a 50 amp to a 60 amp would most likely not be noticeable power wise.

Hope you get a chance to wet test.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 07:44:11 pm by Jacuzzi Jim »

jb4265

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 06:38:19 pm »
ok, to make things more confusing, i just found a deal on a Caldera Niagra.  $5000.00 brand new includes cover and stairs.  Never used.  The person bought it planning on putting it in their new home but the new home deal fell through.  They have the bill of sale to prove.  I was planning on the HS envoy or the J365 but this deal I am not sure I can pass up.  Any thoughts???????

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 07:46:07 pm »
 Is it from a dealer or private seller?   Downfall with the private seller is no warranty. But for that price I might take the chance.

jb4265

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 08:32:20 pm »
private owner and you are exactly right about the warranty.  I have tried to contact caldera but i get automated responses.  I found this on ebay and the person states the dealer she bought it from 2 months ago is no longer in business.  The bad thing is I would have to drive about 7 hours one way to get it.  Savings of 4K is huge but so are headaches down the road.  Just can't decide what to do.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 09:28:11 pm »
I would confirm with Caldera seller is legitimate owner.  Confirm by the serial number.  Make sure you get the sub panel.  $4K pays for a lot of spa moving and service work!
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

jb4265

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 09:38:26 pm »
that is true Dan.  I wonder if I can call my local Caldera dealer and give them the serial number.  What if the serial number doesn't show anything?  Does this mean its bogus or that the owner just didn't register it or would it be possible that the business knew it was going down the tubes and didn't register it?  If that is the case, would there be anyway for me to register it even though i am not the original owner

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 11:37:36 am »
Hi folks, sorry to chime in late, but I was flat on my back for a few days.   The OP said, "if I want the lifter"  I will just chime in yes you do want the lifter. So many nights I wouldn't use my tub if I have to mess with taking the cover off and on.  The lifter on any tub that large is requirement for me.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

jb4265

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 08:22:04 pm »
UPDATE ON CALDERA NIAGRA FOR $5000.00.    You know when they say if it looks to good to be true it probably is.  I have been corresponding with the person that said she had an 09 Niagra brand new for $5000.  She sent me a copy of the invoice and there was a date on there of 2008.  She tells me typo.  It looked by the invoice she still owes 8000 which she says she can prove its paid for.  I told her I was very skeptical and told her I wanted the serial number which she provided me.  I called Watkins Manufacturer who were awesome.  They told me it was a 2007 Niagra not a 2009.  She told me she bought the tub 2 months ago and the place then went out of business.  Watkins told be the place went out of business a year ago.  I called the person back that had the tub for sale and she couldn't believe that it was a 2007......so she said.  When i asked her how she could have bought the tub 2 months ago when the place had been out of business for a year she said she now remembers she bought the tub in Dec 2008.  I told her she was not being honest and I no longer was interested in this "great deal" .  Who knows what the deal is if its stolen, which Watkins stated it was not reported to them as such, if it were refurbished or what, but needless to say I am buying a new Hot Springs from a reputable dealer.  I will keep you posted.  Jeff

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 08:22:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42