What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: EMP hot tub purchase  (Read 4511 times)

Nopr387

EMP hot tub purchase
« on: January 14, 2010, 11:27:00 am »
As a first time portable hot tub buyer I found a Hot Spring dealer that had a 2009 (never had water) Limelight Flair hot tub available as an EMP (Employee Discounted?). I was told that dealers are alotted a certain amount of tubs for dealer employee purchase at a significant discount. I was quoted $5,000 + tax including cover+lifter, steps, ozonator & delivery. The clincher, no factory warranty, except 90 day from dealer.

Any advice, is this legitimate?

Thanks, any help appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

EMP hot tub purchase
« on: January 14, 2010, 11:27:00 am »

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
Re: EMP hot tub purchase
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 01:11:38 pm »
Well, $5k for an 09 Flair is a great price.

I haven't heard of any "employee deals" from the factory although I bought my Prodigy from the owners of the retailers I work for at a much reduced price (employee discount).

Not sure what to say about "no warranty", if it has never been registered to someone I think the warranty would still be intact???

I'm not saying it ain't true but I haven't heard of such.
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 01:20:05 pm »
Welcome to the forum. We have many HS dealers here who can speak to the specifics of the deal, but I've looked at those tubs and that looks like a great deal price wise.  I have a feeling you could get a warranty, but he would charge you higher.   Still at that price its attractive. What does a new one go for?  I've be tempted to buy it and put $1000 aside somewhere just in case.  Chances are  you will get several years of trouble free usage, but many of us run into new user /self created problems that require a service call.  
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 01:29:00 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 01:36:51 pm »
Well, $5k for an 09 Flair is a great price.

I haven't heard of any "employee deals" from the factory although I bought my Prodigy from the owners of the retailers I work for at a much reduced price (employee discount).

Not sure what to say about "no warranty", if it has never been registered to someone I think the warranty would still be intact???

I'm not saying it ain't true but I haven't heard of such.

Here is my educated assumption; this probably is a spa that had an issue at a Hot Spring dealer and was sent back to Watkins where the factory fixed it but does not sell it back to a dealer as a standard new spa since its technically already been sold once. It goes onto a list as an EMP spa that literally gets sold to an employee or to a dealer as an EMP spa with no warranty. The draw is a noticeably reduced price but without a warranty. Find out how much a new one is with those options ($7000, $7500, ??) so you can compare it and decide if its a good deal though it sounds like a pretty good concession being an '09 with lifter, ozone and 90 day dealer warranty for $5k.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Nopr387

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 02:10:25 pm »
I was offered a warranty from the dealer for $200 per year, although due the distance from the dealer that was out. (350+ miles).

He offers the new Flair at $7995. In a previous conversation he told me that the average service call is 1 every 4 years ($100-$500). Does this sound about right?

Thanks

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 02:38:17 pm »
I was offered a warranty from the dealer for $200 per year, although due the distance from the dealer that was out. (350+ miles).

He offers the new Flair at $7995. In a previous conversation he told me that the average service call is 1 every 4 years ($100-$500). Does this sound about right?

Thanks

Even if that $7995 includes ozone and lifter thats $3k off the standard price and while manufacture's warranties are great they don't averaeg otu to be worth that much plus that 90 day warranty is key since issues can arise early during the "burn in" period for pumps, controls and the spa in general. The "once every 4 years" quote probably isn't too far off and Bill's idea to "bank $1k for future repairs" if you can do it should cover you and then some and would still allow you to pocket about $2k over getting one with the full warranty.

Nopr387

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 05:48:00 pm »
Thank you so much Spatech t.u.o. & everyone for your comments and expertise.

After talking with the dealer he agreed to warrant for 90 days (parts & labor) and 1 year for parts only, due to the traveling distance.

I feel very comfortable with the purchase.

Thanks again

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 07:27:59 pm »
Thank you so much Spatech t.u.o. & everyone for your comments and expertise.

After talking with the dealer he agreed to warrant for 90 days (parts & labor) and 1 year for parts only, due to the traveling distance.

I feel very comfortable with the purchase.

Thanks again

Good job, being informed is a great bargaining tool. I think you just made a good deal better.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 10:11:34 pm »
sounds like a win/win deal to me.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 08:06:19 am »

Thanks

Well, my tub is not a HS, and some people would say its lesser quality. I had a 5 year warranty that covered everything but the pillows and cover.  I blew a circuit board in year 1, lost a pump in year 3.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 04:36:52 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

rphman

• Caldera Moorea 07
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 06:41:23 pm »
I have a Caldera (made by Watkins), I had a pump go year 1 and a heater board year 2.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 11:44:49 am »
I have a Caldera (made by Watkins), I had a pump go year 1 and a heater board year 2.

Certainly things can happen but with a savings of $2-3k for the same spa I'd personally go without the warranty and take my chances.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 11:44:49 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42