What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 7 Year old Arctic Spa Cub SS model.....  (Read 9106 times)

paxthar

7 Year old Arctic Spa Cub SS model.....
« on: December 25, 2009, 05:35:46 pm »
Got a chance to buy an Arctic Spa Cub model, seats six, bout 20 or so jets. Ozonator, and aromatherapy option as far as I could see. Owner says it has always been professionally winterized and everything works. I'm in Manitoba, and currently the tub is unhooked and winterized. The owner is willing to sell the Tub, GFI breaker, wiring and breaker for the inside panel for $1300 Canadian. The cabinet is red cedar, and needs a bit of work, but the owner says everything mechanical is working, and is willing guarantee that it will work when I get it home.. Any info on this tub or comment on the price is appreciated....

Hot Tub Forum

7 Year old Arctic Spa Cub SS model.....
« on: December 25, 2009, 05:35:46 pm »

Water Boy

Re: 7 Year old Arctic Spa Cub SS model.....
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 12:43:32 pm »
That isn't a bad price. But, I wouldn't buy any spa for any price without seeing it up and running. Just because they tell you that it was fine when it was winterized doesn't mean that everything is ok now. So, if you like it, you might tell the people that you will buy it if you can see it filled up and running. Then check it over to make sure everything is working, and check for leaks, and you should be good to go. If they wont offer that to you, I personally wouldn't buy it. I have heard too many times over the years where people will buy spas as is with them empty, and then have several repairs to do once they fill it up. Good luck!
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 10:16:58 am »
If it was not professionally winterized you will have a major problems. Even if it was they probably didn't tarp it and there is a chance for snow to seep into the cover through the seams, then get into the plumbing.

paxthar

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 10:44:43 am »
Thanks for the replies, it's definitely food for thought on both of those points.  I can't get it filled and see it in action as it is all disconnected because of the renovations going on at it's current place of residence.  I guess I'm basing it being in working condition on the owners say so, the carpenter doing the renovations say so, and the guy who did the maintainance on it.  They all have said they seen it working this summer and fall and the maintainance guy has been winterizing the tub for the owner since the day she got it.  I'm just thinking the fact that they are willing to include all the breakers and wiring is a bonus as that would be another 300 to 600 dollar expense once I got a tub in my yard.  This will be my first tub, and I have sat in an Arctic Spa before and found it mucho comfortable.

Thanks Again

I included a pic to see if it's still a pretty good price.  The tub needs to be cleaned and have some spa cleanse run thru it I"m sure.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 01:28:25 pm »
Can you estimate the weight of the cover? If its water soaked and heavy you won't use the tub as much or have to replace it at several hundred dollars in cost.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 02:07:12 pm »

I included a pic to see if it's still a pretty good price.  The tub needs to be cleaned and have some spa cleanse run thru it I"m sure.

A picture only conveys what kind of shape its in aesthetically. Buying a used spa without seeing it operate is never a good idea and a pic won't affect that because a pic won't indicate anything about the pumps, the controls, the heater, plumbing, etc.

I wouldn't waste time worrying about the aesthetics of a spa until I knew whether the important things were in order and without the spa operating you can't do that. That spa could get to your yard and work like a gem or be a nightmare, you just don't know from a picture (or a promise of how it was working previously).

$1300 for a 9 year old spa is not a steal. That price reflects what one would pay for a spa that is proven to be in good working condition, not one which is promised to be in good condition.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 02:12:17 pm by Spatech t.u.o. »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

paxthar

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 12:25:42 am »
Spoke with a local Arctic dealer, he said they had a couple used 9 year old spa's for around 4000 bucks.  Seems a lot for a tub that's ten years old.  But he said that they had all the parts I would need if I needed them and that for $1300 it was a good buy considering I"m getting the breakers, wiring and cover.  I think I'm gonna go for it and we'll see what happens!!  Gotta jump onto the spa train some time!!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 11:24:07 am »
Spoke with a local Arctic dealer, he said they had a couple used 9 year old spa's for around 4000 bucks.  Seems a lot for a tub that's ten years old.  But he said that they had all the parts I would need if I needed them and that for $1300 it was a good buy considering I"m getting the breakers, wiring and cover.  I think I'm gonna go for it and we'll see what happens!!  Gotta jump onto the spa train some time!!

That may seem a bit high for a 9 or 10 year old spa to sell for $4k but they would have refurbed it and I could see them getting close to that if it was in good shape and refurbed very well. At the same time you can't compare the price a dealer will get for a refurbed spa that will generally come with an in-store warranty and will be delivered to buying a spa from an owner for $1300 that is not operating and you have to go get it yourself and hope all goes well. That's kind of like comparing apples and oranges, or at least apples and pineapples.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 12:20:39 pm by Spatech t.u.o. »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 11:52:14 am »
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 04:29:18 pm by . »

paxthar

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 02:33:50 pm »
I'm just wondering though, for the price the person is asking, they are also including the CGFI Breaker and about 50 to 60 ft of wire and the breaker for the house.  This has got to be worth something.  I priced it out and to go buy this stuff would be adding another 300 dollars at least to the price.  Am I correct in this assumption?

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 03:47:57 pm »
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 10:57:27 am by . »

paxthar

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 08:07:15 pm »
Well the electrics she is selling me with the tub are the ones that were used to hook up the tub at her place.  I have no setup whatsoever as this is my first tub so I am thinking this is a way to streamline any hookup problems. 

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 08:22:14 am »
Good luck if you go for this, I know I have little mechanical skills and couldn't do it. If you go for it, be sure to let us know how it goes.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

paxthar

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 10:47:44 pm »
Spoke with the Arctic dealer again, said for $75 they will wet test it for me before I install it in my yard.  So while I have it on a trailer I am going to take it there and then make sure it is all ship shape before taking it home. 

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 04:15:33 pm »
Spoke with the Arctic dealer again, said for $75 they will wet test it for me before I install it in my yard.  So while I have it on a trailer I am going to take it there and then make sure it is all ship shape before taking it home. 

That is great.  I look forward to hearing how it goes.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 04:15:33 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42