What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: winter climate maintenance  (Read 6090 times)

just ducky

winter climate maintenance
« on: December 20, 2009, 10:36:09 am »
We're in Michigan, and into our first winter with our tub.  I do a regular weekly maintenance ritual including cleaning the filters.  But obviously with the extreme temps we've had recently, it's been kind of tough to do.  For one thing, my garden hoses are all put away for the winter, and the outside faucets turned off, because they'll freeze.  We aren't using the tub nearly as often because of the temps, so I've been cutting back on the dichlor and other chemicals.  

So my question is for those of you in winter climates with outdoor tubs...do you change your normal maintenance routine when this kind of weather sets in, and what's the minimum you do to the tub?  

Hot Tub Forum

winter climate maintenance
« on: December 20, 2009, 10:36:09 am »

tomsem

• 2010 Caldera Niagra
Re: winter climate maintenance
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 01:52:41 am »
Just ducky,

The first thing I do different in winter is change from dichlor to bromine tabs in a floater. That way if I don't make it out for a few days due to weather, keeping it clean isn't a bother. In spring, I switch back to dichlor.

I also use it less in the dead of winter, so I use less chemical and test strips.  I also will push my shocking and filter changes out some depending on how much.

For filter changes, I have two filters and just quickly swap. For winter, I purchased one of those big plastic tubs with the rope handles at most stores for $5. I cut a 4 inch diameter hole in the bottom and put it over the floor drain in my utility room.  I have a hose hookup in the utility room to clean and rinse the filter. You could do the same in the shower but my wife doesn't like the idea of chemicals in the tub.

Other than that, it is business as usual.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 08:24:12 am »
We definitely use or tub just as much. I use any thaw we get to rinse the filters and add more water. Since its just the two of us in it, I can fill a little above the water line and hope for the next thaw. Can you keep a hose in   a warm area in case you have to add?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

just ducky

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 08:14:33 pm »
We definitely use or tub just as much. I use any thaw we get to rinse the filters and add more water. Since its just the two of us in it, I can fill a little above the water line and hope for the next thaw. Can you keep a hose in   a warm area in case you have to add?

Yeah I could do that, but that's not really the issue. I don't seem to be losing water. But I was using the hose to clean the filters out (the tub has two).  So doing that is out for now.  But I could take the filters into the mud room and wash them in the sink I guess. 

just ducky

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 08:18:13 pm »
Just ducky,

The first thing I do different in winter is change from dichlor to bromine tabs in a floater. That way if I don't make it out for a few days due to weather, keeping it clean isn't a bother. In spring, I switch back to dichlor.

I also use it less in the dead of winter, so I use less chemical and test strips.  I also will push my shocking and filter changes out some depending on how much.

For filter changes, I have two filters and just quickly swap. For winter, I purchased one of those big plastic tubs with the rope handles at most stores for $5. I cut a 4 inch diameter hole in the bottom and put it over the floor drain in my utility room.  I have a hose hookup in the utility room to clean and rinse the filter. You could do the same in the shower but my wife doesn't like the idea of chemicals in the tub.

Other than that, it is business as usual.

I've only had the tub about 9 months, and have only used dichlor.  Are there any issues with me changing from dichlor to bromine?  Not familiar at all with it.  A floater like that sounds like a good idea for the winter.  

As far as the filters, in summer weather I hose them out regularly, and use a filter cleaner every couple of weeks.  But I think what I'll do is take them inside to the mud room sink and wash them that way.  Maybe won't do it every week, but a few times this winter anyway.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 08:19:53 pm by just ducky »

tomsem

• 2010 Caldera Niagra
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 02:58:28 am »
Just ducky,

If you are currently using dichlor and want to switch to bromine, all you do is fill up the floater and toss it in.  You may have to add  bromine granules to begin with to get the levels up. My floater has an adjustable dispenser.  To go back to just dichlor you must do a total water change. If you add dichlor to a bromine tub, the dichlor eventually dissipates. If you add bromine to a dichlor tub, bromine stays until the water is changed. In the spring I do a total water change to go back to dichlor, after the really harsh temps are over.

Bromine has a different smell than dichlor.  Some people don't care for it and some don't mind it.  It isn't quite as "nuetral" as dichlor and your ph and alkalinity may change just a tad more. When it is freezing cold, it is worth it to me not to have to continually add dichlor everyday and just make small water adjustments occasionally. Your dealer should be a great resource if you are thinking about switching.

With filter changes it is easiest to have two sets of filters, especially in cold weather.  You can just quickly swap them and clean them at your convenience.  You have to invest in two sets but they last twice as long because you are only using one set half the time, if that makes sense. The mud room idea sounds like a good solution.

ChevyB

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 08:18:50 pm »
I stick with Chlorine through the winter months here in Canada, i am also running a Nature 2 stick (Proclear) so the one bonus with that is it allows me some flexibility in chemical additions.  Its worked well so far this winter, water still Crystal clear from the mid Oct Fill.  Filters i clean when it warms up enough outside to hose them down, so far been about once a month but seems to work fine.  I would say if you dont like venturing out in the cold to do the maint. that you look at the nature 2 as a add on or as above flip it to Bromine.

just ducky

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 08:56:34 am »
I stick with Chlorine through the winter months here in Canada, i am also running a Nature 2 stick (Proclear) so the one bonus with that is it allows me some flexibility in chemical additions.  Its worked well so far this winter, water still Crystal clear from the mid Oct Fill.  Filters i clean when it warms up enough outside to hose them down, so far been about once a month but seems to work fine.  I would say if you dont like venturing out in the cold to do the maint. that you look at the nature 2 as a add on or as above flip it to Bromine.

I'm still a newbie to most of this since this is my first winter with the tub, and I hate asking stupid questions, but give me a crash course in the nature 2 (since I'm too lazy right now to search for it  ;D)  I've seen it referenced on this site, but what is it, what does it replace, and what's involved in using it? 

benalexe

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 08:13:35 pm »
I am really the minority here... I have had my tub for about 18 months.   I simply go outside once a week and pour a little dichlor in the tub. Thats it... I will clean the filters when I change the water. I last changed around thanksgiving.. .Now i will probably wait until March or April.  The tub stays very clean but honestly i don't use it that much.

I know I am going to get yelled at here but don't really test the water too much or add other stuff too it.  Also When not using it for a week or 2 at a time I keep it on 80 degrees that may help.

But once again... I know I am not doing things the right way. 

just ducky

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 04:14:53 pm »
I am really the minority here... I have had my tub for about 18 months.   I simply go outside once a week and pour a little dichlor in the tub. Thats it... I will clean the filters when I change the water. I last changed around thanksgiving.. .Now i will probably wait until March or April.  The tub stays very clean but honestly i don't use it that much.

I know I am going to get yelled at here but don't really test the water too much or add other stuff too it.  Also When not using it for a week or 2 at a time I keep it on 80 degrees that may help.

But once again... I know I am not doing things the right way.  

I'm no expert, since I've had a tub only about 10 months, ao I'm not one to yell at you about this.  But I know I have to keep up on the maintenance or my tub can get cloudy pretty quickly.  Of course, we use the tub a lot, like nearly every day...except recently when it's been 10-20 degrees here.  I do regular weekly maintenance, which is really pretty minimal and takes maybe 15 minutes (the tub cycles longer though).  But cleaning the filters this time of year has been a challenge.  
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 04:17:27 pm by just ducky »

RUBBER DUCK

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 05:24:03 pm »
I live in Alaska, and so am used to the cold.  I dont let the weather stop me enjoying the tub.  On the contrary, I like taking a dip in the winter more than the summer.  It is more beautiful out and quieter as well.   I use the floating bromine tab dispenser, and use the two filter method as well.  I keep the spare filter in a sealed bucket with filter cleaner with it.  When I am ready the change the filter, I clean the soaking filter off, it is easier to get alot of stuff off of it because it has been broken down more by the cleaner solution.

Hope this helps!! 

just ducky

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 07:28:59 pm »
I live in Alaska, and so am used to the cold.  I dont let the weather stop me enjoying the tub.  On the contrary, I like taking a dip in the winter more than the summer.  It is more beautiful out and quieter as well.   I use the floating bromine tab dispenser, and use the two filter method as well.  I keep the spare filter in a sealed bucket with filter cleaner with it.  When I am ready the change the filter, I clean the soaking filter off, it is easier to get alot of stuff off of it because it has been broken down more by the cleaner solution.

Hope this helps!! 

I couldn't agree more that it's more beautiful out on a winter's night.  But it's got to be a still night for me to soak...I hate it when it's windy because I just don't get the same relaxation when my head is shivering  ;D  I guess if I were in Alaska, I'd be used to the cold as well  ;)  Although depending on where in Alaska you are, it's often colder right here in Michigan  :'(

Good suggestion about the filter.  Leaving the spare soaking and ready to use sounds like a great idea...don't know why I hadn't thought of it.

ChevyB

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 09:48:07 pm »
here is the link to nature 2

http://www.nature2.com/spaproducts/

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 09:48:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42