What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Remote Hot Tub Monitor  (Read 19478 times)

Tdbo

• 2007 Sundance Hartford 1994 Vita Spa Ambiance
Remote Hot Tub Monitor
« on: November 26, 2009, 03:15:57 pm »
Need some information on remote hot tub monitoring systems. Last year, I purchased a fiberstars unit.  The first one died (specifically, the unit which floats in the tub)  and the second unit (which was replaced under warranty) died in a similar fashion. Is anyone aware of other options.  Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Remote Hot Tub Monitor
« on: November 26, 2009, 03:15:57 pm »

tomsem

• 2010 Caldera Niagra
Re: Remote Hot Tub Monitor
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 01:29:41 pm »
What are you trying to monitor?  If it is just temperature, I just use a springfield wireless thermometer with a stainless steel probe. It cost me about $15 at a home improvement store.  I used a stainless steel hose clamp and attached it right to the heater and it works great. It is inside the cabinet so it doesn't get wet and doesn't need to be waterproof.  The base unit is in my kitchen and has a low temp alarm. 

The only downside is I need to remove the cabinet panel when the probe unit batteries are low.

Tdbo

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 11:19:21 pm »
Primarily, all I'm interested in is temperature during the winter months. This sounds like a viable option.  Thanks.

tennesseestargazer

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 09:32:35 am »
I have visions of the one I use when I deep fry my turkey at Thanksgiving.

As it approaches the set temperature it anounces in this woman's voice

"It's Almost DONE!"

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 01:43:57 pm »

tomsem

• 2010 Caldera Niagra
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 06:15:51 pm »
The one I have appears to be discontinued.  They make an updated version with the same model number with some differences.  The biggest difference is the remote no longer comes with the stainless steel temp probe( figures, right?)

As I understand, you can order one from the company for less than $10.

Here is the link to the new version.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10671024

Nilking

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 05:38:45 pm »
I'm thinking of buying this one:
http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=4&scid=68&pid=616

Seems that you can use it "alone" or connect it to a weatherstation. Maybe a little expensive but it would be nice to check temp in the spa without going outside/lifting the lid

//Thomas
HotSpring Limelight Pulse

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 10:08:42 pm »
The one that I posted will also connect to a La Crosse station wirelessly.  I bought the pair, including a wireless outdoor temperature sensor, for under $40 :)

Nilking

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 03:39:34 am »
MattNY, sorry for maybe the dumb question, but do you get the "exact" temp from the spa?
If it supports celcius (I'm in Europe), it's sound like a better deal :)
HotSpring Limelight Pulse

Tdbo

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 06:14:59 pm »
I'm thinking of buying this one:
http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=4&scid=68&pid=616

Seems that you can use it "alone" or connect it to a weatherstation. Maybe a little expensive but it would be nice to check temp in the spa without going outside/lifting the lid

//Thomas

You might want to look at other options.  Two of those units lasted me six months.

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 07:22:16 pm »
MattNY, sorry for maybe the dumb question, but do you get the "exact" temp from the spa?
If it supports celcius (I'm in Europe), it's sound like a better deal :)

Yep, it wirelessly relays the temperature to the weather station inside.  It's pretty accurate until the batteries get low, but mine lasted about 18 months before I had to replace them. 

The unit itself only displays in Fahrenheit, but the weather station can be easily changed to display Celsius. 

Tdbo

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 04:59:59 pm »
Went to the Black & Decker Factory Outlet yesterday. Ended up buying a Lacrosse WS-9029U Weatherstation (complete with the sensor and probe) on sale for $15.99. Tore the front off the tub and wanted to clamp the probe to the heater.  The way the heater is mounted directly behind the spa control pack, could not get a clamp on it. (how I miss my old Vita Spa!) Anyway, went to plan Bubba. I Put the probe down the filter trough and ran it along the side of the tub.  The sensor is presently in a Ziploc bag that I put some holes in the bottom of to prevent condensation building up.  It is wired to my speaker wires, which are up under my speakers which are mounted to my privacy fence. The fence does afford some protection from the weather.  Not the prettiest set up, but it is working. ( I really only need it for winter.)  If anyone has a better idea how to protect or better mount the sensor, feel free to chime in.

tomsem

• 2010 Caldera Niagra
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 09:17:59 pm »
Tdbo,

Since the heater is not accessible, are there any tubing/pipes in series with the heater or circ pump that is? You could clamp to the tubing and accomplish the same thing. You may get more temp variance due to the loss in the plastic, but once a baseline is learned it should be fairly linear. Also, it is hard to tell how much without trying it. It may work fairly well. 

If you can get it hooked up inside, I think it would work well for you.  Mine has been working great for two years with no issue. 

If not, at least you got it to work and at a pretty good deal.   

Tdbo

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 07:01:25 pm »
Tomsem:

Thanks for the help. Tore back into the tub tonight.  Still not enough clearance to clamp on the heater manifold, but I was able to secure it on the manifold with a couple of layers of electrical tape.  Also, was lucky that I could run the sensor up to the corner of the skirt where there is a corner piece (only 2 screws.)  What I wanted to do was run the sensor out of the tub and put in one of the clear front plastic electrical covers (bought one but the sensor was slightly too large.)  I may go back to Lowes and get one for a double outlet that would work.  The unit seems to work, I am getting 81.5 degrees at the probe, ( tub temp is 100 degrees on the panel.)  What range of temps are you getting at the heater?

tomsem

• 2010 Caldera Niagra
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 12:27:00 am »
Tdbo,

I get a probe temp about 2 degrees lower than the water temp.  I do have a metal to metal contact, however, and the circ pump keeps temp very constant.

I never thought of a weatherproof outlet cover. That is a good idea.  If you want a actual temp, you could probe the filter well and put the remote unit in the cover. 

It looks like about a 20 degree variance the way it is hooked up now.  You could try turning it up and down a few degrees and see if it tracks. If it does, then just add 20 to your remote readout for tub temp. 

I was never worried about exact (matching)  temps....just wanted to be alert to a temp drop in case the heater quits.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 12:27:00 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42