What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Is an outdoor shower worth it?  (Read 4239 times)

Jet Sitter

Is an outdoor shower worth it?
« on: December 08, 2009, 06:07:36 pm »
Greetings - I am back after a long absence.  I came very close to buying a tub awhile back but became ill / the economy tanked and the project was put on hold.  We're moving ahead again and I am planning the area of our spa (not yet selected).

We will have a paved covered area of about 15' x15' and some additional paved surface for outdoor dining, grilling, small parties, etc.  Also in the area of paving, with a simple trellis above, open to the sky, will be a hot tub.  We live in Seattle and spend a lot of time outdoors.

One thing that we are not sure of is an outdoor shower.  I can design one in, but it will mean running hot and cold water out from the house - not too big of a deal, running a drain - not too big of a deal, finding a sensible location - not too big of a deal and some additional cost.  At times I think that it would be great to come back from a bike ride or a trip to the beach a few blocks away, rinse off and hop in the tub.  Other times I wonder if it is worth it.  kids will be out of the house in a couple of years.

Do many of you or your clients have an outdoor shower near the tub?  Would this be a really great thing to have or do you think it wouln't be worth the hassle, winterizing issues etc.?

Hot Tub Forum

Is an outdoor shower worth it?
« on: December 08, 2009, 06:07:36 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Is an outdoor shower worth it?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 09:49:56 pm »
I recently replaced half my deck with a new bedroom. Part of the project was putting in an outdoor shower. I did it more for the sauna rather than the hot tub. It looks really cool...haven't actually used it yet though :-)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

dax

• '07 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 10:41:57 am »
My sister and her husband have an outdoor shower, which they installed when they put in their inground pool.  They use it not only to rinse off before/after using the pool, but as a regular shower during the warm weather.  They have 3 kids who use it religiously as well.  Really helps keep the indoor bathroom clean too.  The highlight of my visits to them during the summer is taking an outdoor shower.  My wife and kids love it too!  Just something about being outside and taking a shower.  If I had room for one, I'd have had one years ago.

Jet Sitter

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 05:09:08 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts Doc and Dax.  I think that an outdoor shower would really be great and would make it easy to rinse off a bit before hopping in the tub - I think that it would get a fair amount of use.  Still trying to decide whether to go for it or stay true to one of my guiding principles - "Keep It Simple".

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 08:00:30 pm »
 With as cold as its been here lately you couldn't use one anyway.  :o   I tell most people unless you have been out digging ditches/filthy dirty or working out, just jump in, suit optional.  ;D  ;)

Axleone

• Ride the Pole
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 09:26:11 pm »
We just purchased a j480 in november.  We have had a outdoor shower for 3 years and use it allll the time.  We made a rule to always shower before getting in the spa and it really helps with friends and their soapy suits.
2008 Jacuzzi J-480

Jet Sitter

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 02:39:00 pm »
Yes Jacuzzi Jim, you are right about the cold temps, brrrrr.  Although I think that it would be quite nice to have a shower we are leaning toward not putting one in.  I have had a chance to develop the plans further and adding the shower will introduce some new issues.  We won't need to run hot and cold water otherwise - just fill the tub with a hose.  We won't need to add a drain otherwise - in the available locations for a shower a drain is manditory - can't just let in run on the ground or attempt to infiltrate.  If we had another arrangment I would love to do a shower but in our case it seems more bothersome than the payoff, with on going issues such as the record cold we just had.

Thnaks all for your thoughts!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 02:39:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42