What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Antifreeze in the lines???? Really?  (Read 7403 times)

bahiafan

Antifreeze in the lines???? Really?
« on: December 08, 2009, 01:05:37 pm »
Called my local spa store (place of my spa purchase) and inquired about their winter close down service (we're moving). 

The details were:
Drain the tub
Remove jets
Disconnect heater and pumps from plumbing
Suck water from plumbing
Add RV anti-freeze

Other info I've read says not to add any anti-freeze.  Any other input folks?  I have a 2005 Sundance Bahia that is moving about 180 miles (Cleveland to Pennsylvania) and not sure I'll be able to set up immediately so I want to make extra sure, expecially in this weather, that all the water is out!!! 

BTW, do the pumps have drain plugs? 

Thanks, Dave
Proud Bahia owners since 2006!

Hot Tub Forum

Antifreeze in the lines???? Really?
« on: December 08, 2009, 01:05:37 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Antifreeze in the lines???? Really?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 08:04:41 pm »
 If the tub is sitting shut down I would add the antifreeze, in your instance I would drain the spa open the pumps suck as much water out as you can.  When its flipped up on its side more water will probably come out.  You should be fine if its going to sit for awhile till you get it up and running.   I would also hit it with a good dose of chlorine and run for a bit before draining.

bahiafan

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 07:52:41 am »
Good idea on the chlorine.  It will be sitting but only AFTER the move. 

FYI, I called Sundance customer service and they sent me the "official" winter shutdown info they have.  It does include pulling the plumbing from the pumps and sucking the water from there as well and also pulling the drain plugs from the pumps.  I assume the plugs will be evident once I dig into the compartment. 

Thanks Jim.

Dave
Proud Bahia owners since 2006!

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 09:31:14 am »
Seems like a lot of work.  A wet vac can take care of everything if you know what you are doing.  You shouldn't need any anti-freeze.  It just makes it harder to start up in the spring.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 09:31:14 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42