What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: SpaFrog Bromine help  (Read 12187 times)

psuKinger

SpaFrog Bromine help
« on: November 28, 2009, 05:51:04 pm »
First, let me start by saying thank you to this board in general.  I have silently *lurked* on this board for a few months now, reading but never posting, and using your valuable *search* feature to learn as much as possible.  I learned a lot by reading reading this board, and it helped me greatly with my own search/purchase.

I'm a relatively new (~1 month) owner of a Caldera Geneva.  My wife and I love it.  I'm sure many/most of you knowledgable hottub folk know that these use the in-line SpaFrog system.

I am embarrassed to confess the following.  I ask that you keep in mind that I've never owned a spa before.  The Bromine Cartridges are apparently suppossed to be replaced every 2-4 weeks.  I'm using the "33% larger" 200 gram cartridges (which is somewhat unfortunate, because I can conveniently order online the 150 gram cartridges but had to drive to my dealer (not very convenient) for the 200 gram cartridges), but the Geneva is also a *larger* tub (475 gallons), so I figuered I better replace it ASAP.

We have not used the Tub as much as we'd like (that's an understatement, but we both work long hours, I'm working on my Master's Degree part-time (we're young), and other various excuses), but I have kept up with the weekly checklist that my dealer advised despite our mere 1-2 times per week use.  My bromine levels have consistantly read to be low, but we've had no problems with *green*/dirty water the way one of my buddies has had with his (not a Caldera... also not *new* the way mine was, dunno if that means anything or not).  Maybe that's because of my limited usage levels combined with multiple *shock* treatments a week?

Anyway, this post is running longer than I wanted, so I'll cut to the chase.  I pulled the cartridge out, and it doesn't feel empty.  When I shake it, there is SOMETHING in there rattling back and forth, and feeling rather full.  Is this normal?  Is/was the bromine not dispensing properly?  Is the cartridge not empty?  Or do empty cartridges still feel *heavy* and shake like they have *something* other than bromine left inside of them (such as spa water, perhaps?)?

Essentially, should I throw the old cartridge away, or is it still *full* and I have a bromine dispensing problem?

Stupid question, I know.  Be gentle, I'm new at this.

-kinger

Hot Tub Forum

SpaFrog Bromine help
« on: November 28, 2009, 05:51:04 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: SpaFrog Bromine help
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 07:13:35 pm »
Did you read my dumb dumb dumb post? I think I have a similar issue. You wouldn't know the difference in the cartridges since you have only had your tub for a month, but this is the first time that I have pulled a cartridge and had it feel like a giant lump of solid bromine....Something must be different with the cartridges. Typically there is some material left and you can feel it when you shake the cartridge, but there isn't a giant lump.

I'll call my dealer Monday and see if he has any customers with similar problems.

Whatever you do...don't get mad and throw the cartridge into the frog system without the cartridge holder.. :-\.It is really difficult to get back out  :-[
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 07:55:33 pm »
Sent an email to King...if I get an answer I will post it right away!!

psuKinger

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 09:51:29 pm »
Did you read my dumb dumb dumb post?

I did not.  My apologies.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 11:18:46 am »
No problem...my subject line wasn't really a good indicator of a Spa Frog problem! :-\..it is funny that we both are having the same issue.

Anyone else use the frog and notice a difference in the cartridges?..Maybe we can start a poll.

psuKinger

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 04:54:05 pm »
A couple of notes, don't know what they're worth:

1) I didn't throw the "old" (first) bromine container out.  Overnight it dried, and it no longer feels like a "big lump".  It sounds like it's smaller granules, but there's still A LOT of bromine in it.

2) I called my dealer, the lady on the phone claimed that no one else had expressed this concern thus far.  She suggested that I try the second container, and if after a week or two I'm still getting low bromine levels to bring in another water sample for them to test.

So that's where I stand.  If anybody else has any input it would be appreciated.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 07:08:16 pm »
I know there is always bromine left in the containers ...but nothing like the one I was talking about...and the fact that my bromine level dropped to 0 with a FULL cartridge seems to indicate to me something is different about these cartridges. 

Markee..Stuart...have either of you had any problems with the green Frog cartridges?

CLOU

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 10:13:56 pm »
Hi,  this is my first post and hope I'm doing it correctly!  We have not purchased our first hot tub yet; however, today we tested the Caldera Tahitian and the C435.  We found out that the Geneva would have the room of the C435 with the bells and whistles of the Tahitian.  It's obviously quite a bit more expensive.  Would you mind letting me know what you paid for the Geneva?  I'm thinking that's the way for us to go - hubby wants the depth in the C435 and I want the other "nicities" in the Geneva.  Thanks for your help.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 12:51:59 pm »
You posted OK.  However, you should probably start a new topic. 
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 07:43:46 am »
I got a reply from King. They said they haven't changed a thing and have not experienced complaints like this with the cartridges. Since I have been using them successfully for years, they think it is just a fluke...

I think it is weird that PSU had the same issue at the same time. Maybe I did customer service investigations for too long, but something tells me there is more to this..OH well it's not a huge deal, just a strange coincidence, I guess.  :-\

Tommithy

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 03:40:53 pm »
I think it is weird that PSU had the same issue at the same time. Maybe I did customer service investigations for too long, but something tells me there is more to this..OH well it's not a huge deal, just a strange coincidence, I guess.  :-\

I don't think it's a coincidence.  I had the same problem with the green cartridges in my 05 Epic.  My fix for it was to stop using the Spa Frog.  I now use a Nature 2 cart in the filter and dichlor after each spa use.  We use the spa at most 1-2 times a week and I've found that even if I leave it for a few weeks I come back to a clean spa. 
2006 Marquis Epic

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 04:41:17 pm »
Think I have ONE more bromine cartridge and I may switch too. So you use a nature 2 in the cartridge holder?..

Debated whether to direct the consumer person who emailed me to this site..but figured it probably would be pointless....It doesn't sound too much like they really care.

My guess is that somehow moisture got into the cartridges in spite of that tight plastic wrap and made a giant lump of bromine with a hardened crust that wasn't readily disolved. Oh well...this may turn out to be a good thing after all...thanks Tommithy!

Tommithy

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 04:46:44 pm »
Think I have ONE more bromine cartridge and I may switch too. So you use a nature 2 in the cartridge holder?..

My Nature 2 cartridge is in the center core of one of the filters per the instructions and not in the spa frog inline holder where your bromine and mineral cart goes. 

My wife and I are sensitive to Bromine and Chlorine and have found this process to be the least irritating.  We did try the whole Baqua Spa thing and although it got rid of the bromine/chlorine smell, (I know they say that a properly cared for spa will not smell like bromine/chlorine but I can detect it,) it had it's own downsides.  The water felt "soft" and the shell felt "slimy".

Tom

2006 Marquis Epic

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 08:51:03 am »
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 11:01:08 am by . »

psuKinger

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 02:33:15 pm »
*blank*
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 05:25:15 pm by psuKinger »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 02:33:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42