What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: filter glue/rubber area breaking down  (Read 4369 times)

TLR

filter glue/rubber area breaking down
« on: November 22, 2009, 07:10:58 pm »
Hello, I'm using the standard  pleatco/unicel filter. It's rubber top & bottom is green/blueish in color. The problem is the rubber is breaking down becoming gritty and loose and then depositing it's self onto the fiberglass tub all over. It is hard and will not come off using a scrubber sponge. So I dumped the water &  I even used some marykate boat bottom hull cleaner (which  takes off really bad boat growth) but that didn't work. Now that it's empty and drying out it seems that I might be able to scrape off some of the spots with my fingernail.

Since I don't want this happening again using that same "style" of filter is there a filter that doesn't use that rubber material or maybe a better made filter such as Clarathon brand?

Thanks for reading the long question!

Thanks,

TLR

Hot Tub Forum

filter glue/rubber area breaking down
« on: November 22, 2009, 07:10:58 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: filter glue/rubber area breaking down
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 09:07:05 pm »
How old is it and have you been cleaning the filter?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

TLR

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 09:51:06 pm »
FIlter is around 4 months old, and I clean it every month. They usually last almost 5 months. But there was never a breakdown like this.

I use the Dupont spa care line found at Lowes, Bromine tabs, etc. Only the same 2 people use the tub.

perhaps a different  bromine tab would be better? I used to use the Beachcomber line but the dealer switched.

Thanks,

TLR

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 10:10:30 pm »
How is the bromine being added to the water?

How do you clean the filter and how often?

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

TLR

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 10:20:51 pm »
The bromine loads into a tube thats the top of the filter canister, than that slides/sits inside the filter when the canister is closed. It's an Emerald Spa Thats never given us any problems.

I soak the filter in a 5 gal bucket with maybe a 1/4 cup of clorox for prob 30 minutes, then use the outdoor hose and rinse off very well. I've had this tub (at 2 houses) and done the same maintenance style for 5 years now with no problems and no weird flakes or green hard debris/spots on the fiberglass, just very strange.

I am leaning towards the filter going bad/needing replacement sooner for some reason & the breakdown of the rubber, hense the wondering about switching bromine tabs.

Thanks,

TLR

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 12:44:49 am »
FIlter is around 4 months old, and I clean it every month. They usually last almost 5 months.

oops, missed this before. 5 MONTHS???? Mine is around 5 YEARS old, and going strong. What's happening to them after 5 months requiring them to be replaced?

TLR

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 12:56:51 am »
Yes, thats a good question, and one of the questions I am asking here.

I am more needing any input if any others had their rubber tops & bottoms begin to decay and how or what to use to get the remains off the fiberglass without scratching.

Thanks,

TLR

gwendland

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 12:54:23 pm »
It occurs to me that perhaps the clorox bleach you're using to clean the filters has effected the rubber components of the canister.  Is that possible?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 03:29:03 pm »
It occurs to me that perhaps the clorox bleach you're using to clean the filters has effected the rubber components of the canister.  Is that possible?

That sounds what I saw when I tried to use clorox on mine, I assumed I didn't dilute it enough.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 03:29:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42