What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: "R" VALUE FOR hOT SPRINGS COVERS  (Read 7442 times)

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
"R" VALUE FOR hOT SPRINGS COVERS
« on: November 12, 2009, 02:20:59 pm »
Hi I am in need of a new cover for my 05 Envoy. Dr Spa has helped me understand how to order from his site (thanks Doc) and I found 5 different R values form there. I want to compare the covers to the HS cover. Does anyone know what "R" value the standard cover from Hot Springs is? How much savings do the higher "R" values provide. I live in Northern Ohio (Cleveland weather). Also what options do the experts recommend with the good Dr's covers, and are there any options availible that I should consider from Hot Springs. Thanks again

Hot Tub Forum

"R" VALUE FOR hOT SPRINGS COVERS
« on: November 12, 2009, 02:20:59 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: "R" VALUE FOR hOT SPRINGS COVERS
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 02:34:20 pm »
R value is based on the density of the foam and average thickness;

Foam Density     R-Value/in.
       1.0                3.85
       1.25                 4.0
        1.5                   4.17
        2.0                 4.35
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 05:48:31 pm »
2# foam
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Spiderman

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 09:34:23 pm »
Overall R rating for a HotSpring tub is R-40.   
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 08:34:15 am »
I live 100 miles to your south, are weather is similar, but  you get more wind and ice from lake Erie.  I'm on my 3rd cover, the current one is a year old I ordered from Doc.  If you use a lifter I highly recommend the exta reinforced stitching on the cover hinge. The hinge is where I have seen the more wear on my 2 previous covers.   My cover from Doc is just about a year old now and no signs yet of wear around the hinge.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 03:49:02 pm »
:-)

We do something "extra" to the hinge that I'm not aware of anyone else doing. I'm VERY interested in being kept up to date on how it holds up...though I've yet to hear of any failures
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

jaj111

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 09:16:55 pm »
My 05 Hot Spring Vista is in need of a new cover. My lifter was damaged a couple of years ago during a wind storm. Would like to replace both. Any suggestions.   Thanks

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 10:21:04 pm »
Your original Hot Spring cover had 2# foam.  Especially in northern Ohio, you'll want to stick with that.  Our weather here in southern Ohio is milder but we even recommend to our customers down here to go with the 2# foam because it absorbs less water.

For the person asking about replacing a lifter for the Envoy, keep in mind that most lifters are designed for spas up to 96" x 96" and your spa is larger than that in one direction.  If you split the 100" with the fold, you can pretty much use any of the non-gas-shock lifters with the caveat that the bar will not go all the way to the hinge.  As you fold the cover over the bar it will slide down an inch or so.  Not a big deal especially if you also go with the Cover Saver.  You will not be able to use the Cover Valet or Covermate 3 gas-shock lifts because they need to be able to reach the hinge by design.  If you split the 91" with the fold, you will need to order either the Covermate 1 or 3 with the long coupler bar or the Cover Genie or Cover Valet since these are basically two independent arms.  In either case, a tray type system like the Cover Caddy will work for you.  Hope that helps.

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 10:22:49 pm »
Overall R rating for a HotSpring tub is R-40.   

The Hot Spring OEM spa cover does not have an R-40 rating.  You're talking about the insulation of the tub, aren't you?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 10:22:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42