What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need advice on buying  (Read 4907 times)

jbequer

Need advice on buying
« on: October 26, 2009, 10:48:43 am »
Hi, i'm new and learning everyday about hot tubs. Everone on this forum has great information on hot tubs and i would greatly appreciate any advice you have to offer..

I need advice as far as which manufacture  is recommended for my budget and also the differances between Hydrotherapy sp'a and conventional spa's. The reaon for thinking about hydrotheapy is to get a good neck and back relief.
I know that i may be sacrificing some quality for size, but i don't have another option.

I have a family of 6 and like to intertain. This is the reason for the size.

Questions.

1-I will be looking for a 5 to 6 person spa, What are some good choices?

2-I want to spend about $5000, Which manufactures  have good models for this price?

3-What are the differances from a hydrotherapy spa and a coventional spa?

4- how many jets should i be looking for?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 11:59:41 am by jbequer »

Hot Tub Forum

Need advice on buying
« on: October 26, 2009, 10:48:43 am »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Need advice on buying
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 12:13:16 pm »
hydrotherapy - therapeutic benefits derived from water.

ANY spa will provide this to some extent of another.

Different spas use different marketing language/tactics
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 02:17:13 pm »
jbequer,
 you have some good points to be looking for, i am in the pacific northwest and it is pretty tough to get a high quality spa at 5,000 if you are looking at them the D1,, Hot springs, Sundance, Jacuuzzi just to name a few, your looking at roughy 5500.and up, to get spas with energy efficiency, ease of operation, not to say there are some decent spas under 5,000.00 . as you look find what you like and go from there...just add the models you have looked at on this forum and you will see responses good and bad,,,,good luck
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

Peteyboy

• 1991 HotSpring Classic - Tech since 1987
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 04:10:35 pm »
ejf has a good point on energy efficiency - a more expensive spa that costs less per month can outweigh a less expensive one (some can run $50, $75 or more).
spas are electrical devices and can be dangerous to repair - please use this advice at your own risk

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 06:41:31 pm »
ejf has a good point on energy efficiency - a more expensive spa that costs less per month can outweigh a less expensive one (some can run $50, $75 or more).

Ditto.

Unless you're looking at a small spa you won't find much good out there at $5k (which is a $4600 or so spa before taxes). I'd rather have a spa that costs $7.5k new, lasts 12+ years and costs $35/ month to run than one that costs $5k new, last 7 years and costs $90/month to run. Obviously budget constraints don't always allow that choice but at the same time I would not settle for lesser quality and energy efficiency due to budget issues.

If my absolute budget was $5k for a good sized spa and there was no way around that I would either:
a)   bank the $5k and add the $90/month I'd be spending on energy  for a low quality spa until I'd saved up the additional amount I needed or
b)   I'd look for a top quality used spa that I know I could get in that budget.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

jbequer

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 08:34:43 pm »
A couple of options  that  i have, are  to try and get a floor model or a used well kept spa from a dealer. I have seen nice spa's on craigslist but i don't know enough about spa's to see a potential problems.

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 08:41:06 pm »
Go out to some dealerships see what they have, don't be afraid to ask questions.  you can learn alot from checking out the stores, let them know you new and learning, tell them up front what your needs and wants are, you may find a salesman that can be very helpful in this process, then take from it what you can. talk to others, you  can learn alot, even from these sites, you can learn alot....

jbequer

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 10:20:11 am »
Does anyone know about this place? The prices seem pretty good.
Are these good spa's(manufactures)?

http://www.inlandhotspring.com/specials.htm

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 05:17:48 pm »
i just took alook at this site, it looks like they sell new spas by Watkins  very good spa manufacturer, so they are not cheap brand spas, may be a good option, sorry cannot give opinion on dealership, one way or another,,,,call and talk with them...could not hurt anything....good luck

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 05:54:42 pm »
Does anyone know about this place? The prices seem pretty good.
Are these good spa's(manufactures)?

http://www.inlandhotspring.com/specials.htm

Those are good spas from a very reputable manufacturer and  I assume you realize they are used spas. That's not a bad thing; just like cars, you can often get great deals on used spas. When you get them from a dealer you do usually pay more than if buying from homeowners but dealers also check them out, fix issues, etc. The key IMO is you also get a warranty on them (30 or 60 or 90 day, the length is often negotiable so don't be afraid to push that if you go this route).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

jbequer

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 07:41:46 pm »
I spoke to them today , they said that they give a 1 year warranty. They have both refurbished spa's and trade ins from those who have upgraded.
 Some of the spa's that they get are from Hot Spring manufacturer that is not far from them. They get what they call blemished spa's. These spa's did not pass final inspection before they went out, so they consider them blemished and are put in this store for sale .  These spa's are adjusted and fixed before they are put on sale.
The owner is quite nice and very informative about how he conducts buisiness, his prices are pretty good for these spa's. His list of spa's updates weekly, as he get's many spa's in . He also allowes wet testing in the store and depending on how much one pay's, free delivery as well.. I am about 2 hours away but the free delivery is what made me decide.
He also said that if i had any problems, that the warranty would cover for the year and that living 2 hours away would not be a problem. They do buisiness all over, so he's got people out all over that can repair if needed.

So i will definetly go check these out soon
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 07:51:08 pm by jbequer »

lacooksey

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 09:21:09 pm »
I just purchased on 10/12/2009  the Viking  H-46  got a fantastic deal!  The model is being discontinued due to the grey color cabinet was not selling well.  Watson's Family Leisure ran a special and I was able to purchase this for $4700 before taxes.   It seats 6 to 7 people.  I can't rave enough about this hottub!!!!  It is a beauty and a steal....the installers were amazed that I purchased it at that price.   
I must say I am in love with it.....I have been in it all but two nights since it has been installed.  All my neighbors & friends have no complaints either. ;D

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 11:32:44 am »
Nice looking Envoy for $4k, especially with a 1 year warranty. 

http://www.inlandhotspring.com/090409e3.htm

Good find! 

jbequer

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 11:47:40 am »
Nice..  I think i just have to be patient and wait for a deal like this.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 11:47:40 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42