What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: low bromine level - is spa safe to use?  (Read 9383 times)

dstreetmom

low bromine level - is spa safe to use?
« on: October 25, 2009, 11:30:01 am »
Hi everyone -

We have a brand new Cameo and are struggling to get the water chemistry just right.  Using the test strip, I get a zero reading for Bromine (!!) .... I spoke with the dealer who said that it would take a while for the tablets to dissolve but that the water was indeed save to use - he said next time I fill up the tub, I should use two packets of "Go Bro" instead of one (the starter kit only came with one, so for now I am stuck).  Other info: the tub has rec'd its weekly cap full of shock and we have an ozonater.

I read somewhere that if you are not getting a reading for bromine, then the spa is not safe and you should not use it until the levels are correct.  Help, please. 

Thanks!

Nancy

Hot Tub Forum

low bromine level - is spa safe to use?
« on: October 25, 2009, 11:30:01 am »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: low bromine level - is spa safe to use?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 12:20:14 pm »
I would get some Brominating Concentrate to supplement the tablets.  This is a combo product that is a stand alone sanitizer, as opposed to the tablets or the sodium bromide packets.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

dstreetmom

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 12:57:05 am »
Thanks!  I'll buy some tomorrow.  I visited a pool & spa store today and must not have described this stuff well enough bcz the salesman sold me more "Bro Go" -like stuff, so I added another packet of that.  Further, I spoke with the dealer again and he said to add more bromine tabs, which I also did.... so far, I still have a zilch bromine reading, but, happily, my water is crystal clear (but I will still pick up the brominating concentrate - too many days with a bad reading...).

Thanks!

Nancy

Peteyboy

• 1991 HotSpring Classic - Tech since 1987
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 09:28:47 am »
I believe the ozone eats up the Bromine. I have ozone and use granular chlorine - within a day the ozone has depleted the chlorine level. I'm not sure if it also depletes Bromine.

Keep a close eye on the pH & Alkalinity - Bromine tabs are acidic and can drop your levels pretty fast.
spas are electrical devices and can be dangerous to repair - please use this advice at your own risk

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 09:28:47 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42