What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 1999 Sundance Optima LEAKS  (Read 5135 times)

cavalier

1999 Sundance Optima LEAKS
« on: September 21, 2009, 11:33:02 am »
Well I began digging out the foam to find the leak in the vicinity of the pump suction on the filted side of the spa. 

My question is should I repipe the entire spa as "poor" gluejoints in the mid to late '90s were a problem or perhaps since this is my 1st leak, I missed the bad glue issue.

Digging away.

Cavalier

Hot Tub Forum

1999 Sundance Optima LEAKS
« on: September 21, 2009, 11:33:02 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: 1999 Sundance Optima LEAKS
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 01:20:48 pm »
repiping is a major chore. I would fix the known leak and hope for the best.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

cavalier

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 01:57:24 pm »
As a followup to my initial post.  Found the leak after removing sufficient foam to fit my shoulders into and under the spa filter section.

The leak is in the 3/4" bull of a PVC 11/2" Tee.  The T feeds 1 of 2 large volume jets which form a whirlpool effect.
The bull of the T is a hose feeding to a spinning jet.

The repair appears straight forward.

Cut 3/4" hose.
Ream the leaky section of hose out of the T.
Cement clean hose into the T
Couple the cut hose as there is insuffucuent slack to pull 3/4" as I do not want to remove more insulating foam.

Wait 24 hours, fill tub, check for leaks.

BTW - I drained the tub Aug 23 (Aug 21 began removing foam.)  With work, vacations and family I got to finish removing foam Oct 5.  I was suprised how soggy wet a few pockets of foan still were.

So if I had a vote I would build a spa with layers of insulation at the perimeter and finish off with Reflectix or similiar boundry.

Now it's time to measure up the exterior to install new siding, i.e. Texture T1-11 or similiar.

Peteyboy

• 1991 HotSpring Classic - Tech since 1987
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 03:36:38 pm »
Your way of doing it is how I do it. I cut the hose leaving about an inch or so and twist with pliers. If that doesn't work I will score the hose inside the fitting being very careful not to go through the hose and scoring the fitting. Then I take needle nose pliers and twist.
Sometimes it works and sometimes not.

Good Luck
spas are electrical devices and can be dangerous to repair - please use this advice at your own risk

cavalier

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 07:45:31 am »
I am also insulating my 1999 Optima spa following foam removal / leak repair.
I am using the pink, yellow or white depending on the Lowes or Home Depot stock.
Removing any vapor barrier and piling the insulation into cavities.
On the wooden frame I will staple a product named Reflectix (double sided aluminum with an air gap) which is available at Lowes in a 48" x 25' roll. This will stop drafts and moisture infiltration.
The spa will then be covered with Texture 1-11 (4' x 8') cut to suit as the original cedar is rotted.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 07:45:31 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42