What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Complete new hot tub or new spa pack?  (Read 2277 times)

gordholio99

Complete new hot tub or new spa pack?
« on: September 28, 2009, 02:33:57 pm »
Complete newbie to the forum and I hope someone has the time to respond to some pretty basic questions.

I have a 20-year-old hot tub. It has a truly massive gazebo surrounding it (about the size of a small cabin and with a large, shingled roof). It's built of long 2x2 boards. The tub is fully sunken into the gazebo, and is, in fact, custom fitted to it. The fit is very tight – even the 2x4 braces that support the gazebo butt right up against the hot tub's cedar skirt.

Anyhow, it's an old spa obviously. It has "air controls" on the topside to control the jet speed, but if I want to change the temperature, I have to access a rotary temperature dial that's located on the spa pack, underneath a very heavy trap door on the gazebo. There really are no other controls with the exception of an on/off switch (again under that huge trap door), and certainly nothing as advanced as a timer or digital control. In addition, the 2 HP pump/heater unit is at least fifteen years old. It's noisy (bearings?), it's been taken out for service twice in the past three years, and I have no idea how it's survived this long. The tub itself is in excellent shape, having had a roof over it forever. And it certainly isn't cracked or anything, undoubtedly because it's on a cement pad and is basically wedged in there so it simply cannot shift. But it has just four (4) jets. Yes, it is old.

So…I want to do one of two things. Option #1: Buy a new, more efficient, more modern spa pack with digital controls that can be mounted to the top of the hot tub, a timer, and all the other benefits of modern technology. Up here in Canada, this option would run me a bit more than $1200 installed. But I'd still be living with an old (but solid) tub with just four jets and ancient insulation. Option #2: Toss/recycle everything and buy a new tub, electronics, everything. Not only would this give me new electronics, but it would also give me a ton more jets, better energy efficiency, better convenience, a lifetime warranty on the tub itself (I've already decided to go with the locally-headquartered Beachcomber). This option would run me pretty close to $6000 once I factor in the carpentry involved in removing the old tub, and fitting the new one into the gazebo.

My questions for all you helpful veterans out there: 1) Would a totally new spa setup really be so much more energy efficient that I would notice a big difference in my hydro bill every month? 2) Over the long term, after the honeymoon period wears off, would a tub with 20-plus jets really feel that much better than the four I have now? In essence, is it the massaging action of the jets that's important, or the hydrotherapy of being in warm, moving water? Despite my current 4-jet setup, the water really does get moving in there. 3) Can older hot tub shells survive far beyond 20 years, especially if they're sheltered and supported in a cocoon-like gazebo, or should I feel lucky it's remained un-cracked and un-leaky this long? 4) If I go with Option #1 and just replace the spa pack, can anyone point me to a good brand and model? Who makes the best "guts"?

I do not have unlimited wealth, so this is a big decision for me. Thanks very much in advance for your time!

Hot Tub Forum

Complete new hot tub or new spa pack?
« on: September 28, 2009, 02:33:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42